Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: IYO... Are we about to experience a SHTF event
NO 42 37.17%
YES 21 18.58%
Very soon, less then 3 months 7 6.19%
In 6 months or so 8 7.08%
It will happen shortly, but last less then a month 1 0.88%
It will happen but gradually 16 14.16%
By next year big time event 3 2.65%
Absolutely, I'm expecting a form of civil war 11 9.73%
It will be a slow burn towards depression 16 14.16%
Our government will suspend the constitution and declare Marshall law 7 6.19%
other... explain 9 7.96%
Only wacko's believe in SHTF, not the town in Texas 8 7.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2023, 03:15 PM

37,470 posts, read 61,415,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
96%?? more like 99%, most people do nothing until the event is on top of them then they panic and rush to the shops, we've seen it time and time again.
I am not disagreeing. When we run low on tomato sauce, I just make a note to increase how many tomato plants I grow the next year.

I do not understand why people would 'rush to the shops'.

Early in this most recent plannedemic there was news about a projected TP shortage. When my Dw heard that she pulled out her rag box, sorted through them and filled a bucket with 12" by 12" wash rags for us to use when the TP ran out [though our TP never did run out], at least we were prepared.

We keep a composting toilet handy in case there is ever an issue with the flush toilet.

It is kind of like, who would ever have only one source of potable water for your house? That seems foolish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2023, 03:55 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,585,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
What number? are you drunk? Do you see some number in my post?
Sorry - do you mean to say that you and TRex2 are not, in fact, the same person?

Old 02-17-2023, 04:56 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,818,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
Sorry - do you mean to say that you and TRex2 are not, in fact, the same person?
You are drunk. pay attention.

Old 02-17-2023, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
You are drunk. pay attention.
lol - I replied to a Trex2 post with a question, and you answered it. So who is the drunk one??

Old 02-18-2023, 02:00 AM

5,408 posts, read 3,605,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I am not disagreeing. When we run low on tomato sauce, I just make a note to increase how many tomato plants I grow the next year.

I do not understand why people would 'rush to the shops'.

Early in this most recent plannedemic there was news about a projected TP shortage. When my Dw heard that she pulled out her rag box, sorted through them and filled a bucket with 12" by 12" wash rags for us to use when the TP ran out [though our TP never did run out], at least we were prepared.

We keep a composting toilet handy in case there is ever an issue with the flush toilet.

It is kind of like, who would ever have only one source of potable water for your house? That seems foolish.
our TP never did run out either because we prepare but in the shops here it ran low because of the panicking masses so it had to be rationed.

Old 02-18-2023, 06:37 AM

8,918 posts, read 4,658,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
96%?? more like 99%, most people do nothing until the event is on top of them then they panic and rush to the shops, we've seen it time and time again.
There was a survey done a few years ago, that showed the number of preppers, and how prepared they were. At least those who admitted being a prepper. The percentage I gave was based on what the survey showed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I simply meant that counseling newbies to "buy extra" every time they shop could lead to things piling up. At least instruct them to use things up as they go along and replenish rather than just storing and leaving it. That may seem like common sense, but is worth clarifying.
Good point. I suspected there was something more to your post, than what we were reading.
Thanks for clarifying.

Old 02-18-2023, 07:56 AM

5,408 posts, read 3,605,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
There was a survey done a few years ago, that showed the number of preppers, and how prepared they were. At least those who admitted being a prepper. The percentage I gave was based on what the survey showed.

I was basing my answer on my own experience in my own country, the number of preppers here are less than 1% and most of them are the hobby/short term variety.

Old 02-18-2023, 09:30 AM

Quote:
What I wonder is, are there two of you?
At the beginning of this thread, you showed intelligence.
Your most recent posts are not showing that same level of intelligence.

Edit to add:
After reviewing your posting history, you are intelligent, but only in certain areas.
Oh, well, we all have to have our blind spots. This appears to be yours.
My blind spots are readily apparent to those who know me.

Last edited by TRex2; 02-18-2023 at 09:43 AM..

Old 02-19-2023, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
What I wonder is, are there two of you?
At the beginning of this thread, you showed intelligence.
Your most recent posts are not showing that same level of intelligence.

Edit to add:
After reviewing your posting history, you are intelligent, but only in certain areas.
Oh, well, we all have to have our blind spots. This appears to be yours.
My blind spots are readily apparent to those who know me.
Sad that you would take the time for "reviewing your posting history". Sorry to ruffle your feathers.

Old 02-19-2023, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Sad that you would take the time for "reviewing your posting history". Sorry to ruffle your feathers.
Old habit ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness