Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: IYO... Are we about to experience a SHTF event
NO 42 37.17%
YES 21 18.58%
Very soon, less then 3 months 7 6.19%
In 6 months or so 8 7.08%
It will happen shortly, but last less then a month 1 0.88%
It will happen but gradually 16 14.16%
By next year big time event 3 2.65%
Absolutely, I'm expecting a form of civil war 11 9.73%
It will be a slow burn towards depression 16 14.16%
Our government will suspend the constitution and declare Marshall law 7 6.19%
other... explain 9 7.96%
Only wacko's believe in SHTF, not the town in Texas 8 7.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2023, 07:33 AM

21,889 posts, read 12,991,949 times

Advertisements

Get a room, you two!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2023, 08:43 AM

4,952 posts, read 3,063,230 times
I'd like to change my vote, as it seems something is going to happen this year; either war or economic crises seems imminent.
Is anyone else taking in both domestic, and world events; and feeling the same?.

Old 03-05-2023, 09:10 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,824,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
I'd like to change my vote, as it seems something is going to happen this year; either war or economic crises seems imminent.
Is anyone else taking in both domestic, and world events; and feeling the same?.
What I don't do is, worry about it. Worry is for those who are 'unprepared'. However I am concerned. Each of us in our own way, within our own abilities, using our own resources, should be prepared to at least give ourselves a reasonable chance to deal with a crisis type event... that is LIKELY to happen.

As an example... I do not prepare for volcanoes in Florida, but a Hawaiian might... comprende'?

So right now we have 'war and rumors of war' in Europe, a changing economic world model, nuclear weapons proliferation and local political events to consider, inflation, possible food shortages... along with geographic/climate/weather related events.

How about those people in southern California that got 12' of snow? Twelve feet! Case and point.

Old 03-05-2023, 09:18 AM

8,947 posts, read 4,663,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
Not sure anyone remembers how you voted, so just pretend you knew it all along

As for war, yes.
This year? Not likely.
In 2024 or 2025, fairly probable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
So right now we have 'war and rumors of war' in Europe, a changing economic world model, nuclear weapons proliferation and local political events to consider, inflation, possible food shortages... along with geographic/climate/weather related events.
All of those things are good to keep in mind, but I prep for disruption of basic services and supply chains, no matter what the cause.

Old 03-05-2023, 09:57 AM

4,952 posts, read 3,063,230 times
Quote:
What I don't do is, worry about it. Worry is for those who are 'unprepared'. However I am concerned. Each of us in our own way, within our own abilities, using our own resources, should be prepared to at least give ourselves a reasonable chance to deal with a crisis type event... that is LIKELY to happen.

As an example... I do not prepare for volcanoes in Florida, but a Hawaiian might... comprende'?

How about those people in southern California that got 12' of snow? Twelve feet! Case and point.

Preparing gives me a feeling of being in control/freedom, when none of us have control over any of these events.

I'll be spending my summer on a local farm, learning skills hands on; there are even bees, chickens, turkeys, and goats. Without becoming political, as the 2 of us do post often in that section; Russian citizens in general are much more self-sufficient than the U.S.
The normalcy bias I'm seeing to this day is perhaps our greatest future threat.
People just don't seem to understand that government only have plans to save themselves.
Even during a recent visit to rural Kentucky, friends with plenty of space didn't have a garden; driving 30 miles to buy produce that isn't locally produced.

Old 03-06-2023, 08:16 AM

2,047 posts, read 1,608,180 times
WWIII is a clear front runner for SHTF. Very little to no warning in an all-out attack. In or near a nuclear blast zone, forget about calling anyone for help. Complete breakdown of infrastructure. Good luck.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jlPEBROvR9w

Old 03-06-2023, 08:18 AM

5,410 posts, read 3,607,595 times
not only do I believe in SHTF I believe we are already in the first phase of SHTF.

Old 03-06-2023, 09:02 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,824,933 times
I believe WWIII is just a continuation of war after the collapse of the Soviet Union. We as a nation have been at war non stop since WWI

World Wars are now just a phase of war.

Old 03-06-2023, 10:21 AM

2,899 posts, read 1,873,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
Not sure anyone remembers how you voted, so just pretend you knew it all along

As for war, yes.
This year? Not likely.
In 2024 or 2025, fairly probable.

All of those things are good to keep in mind, but I prep for disruption of basic services and supply chains, no matter what the cause.

You don't think it's likely that the war in Ukraine expands, china makes a move on Taiwan, Israel and Iran don't get into a war and the Norks keep themselves out of trouble? There are at least 4 or 5 major potential flashpoints that could pop off causing ww3 of global chaos.

We still have quite a bit of time this year I'm not as confident as you are.

Old 03-06-2023, 10:26 AM

8,947 posts, read 4,663,936 times
Quote:
I believe WWIII is just a continuation of war after the collapse of the Soviet Union. We as a nation have been at war non stop since WWI

World Wars are now just a phase of war.
You have a point. I suspect the wars will continue for the remainder of time, until Jesus returns.
(Revelation 17, 18 and 19)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness