Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 09:35 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times

Advertisements

This may take a while, but I will hunt down them all. So bare with me. They all deserve recognition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2007, 10:30 PM

Spc. Daniel D. Bartels 22 Headquarters Troop, 4th Squadron, 14th Cavalry Regiment, 172nd Stryker Brigade Combat Team Huron, South Dakota Died of a non-combat related cause in Mosul, Iraq, on October 19, 2005

Pfc. Gunnar D. Becker 19 Company B, 2nd Battalion, 63rd Armor Regiment, 1st Infantry Division Forestburg, South Dakoka Died of non-combat related injuries in Mosul, Iraq, on January 13, 2005

Sgt. Jeremiah J. Boehmer 22 Company C, 562nd Engineer Battalion, 172nd Stryker Brigade Combat Team Parkston, South Dakota One of two soldiers killed when a roadside bomb detonated near their Stryker Engineer Squad Vehicle in Husayniya, Iraq, on February 5, 2006

Lance Cpl. Jeremy L. Bohlman 21 Headquarters & Service Company, 1st Light Armored Reconnaissance Battalion, 1st Marine Division, 1st Marine Expeditionary Force Sioux Falls, South Dakota Died from hostile action in Anbar province, Iraq, on June 7, 2004

Staff Sgt. Cory W. Brooks 32 Company A, 153rd Engineer Battalion, South Dakota Army National Guard Philip, South Dakota Died of non-combat related injuries in Baghdad, Iraq, on April 24, 2004

Staff Sgt. Daniel M. Cuka 27 Battery C, 1st Battalion, 147th Field Artillery Regiment, South Dakota Army National Guard Yankton, South Dakota One of two soldiers killed when a roadside bomb detonated near their Humvee during convoy operations in Baghdad, Iraq, on December 4, 2005

Pfc. Michael R. Deuel 21 Company B, 2nd Battalion, 325th Infantry Regiment, 82nd Airborne Division Nemo, South Dakota Killed in a drive-by attack while on guard duty at a propane distribution center in Baghdad, Iraq, on June 18, 2003

Chief Warrant Officer Hans N. Gukeisen 31 571st Air Medical Company, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment Lead, South Dakota Killed when the UH-60 Black Hawk medical helicopter he was aboard crashed in the Tigris River near Samarra, Iraq, on May 9, 2003

Spc. Patrick W. Herried 29 B Troop, 4th Squadron, 14th Cavalry Regiment, 172nd Stryker Brigade Combat Team Sioux Falls, South Dakota Killed when a roadside bomb detonated near his Stryker military vehicle during patrol operations on Rawah, Iraq, on February 6, 2006

Spc. Allen D. Kokesh Jr. 21 Battery C, 1st Battalion, 147th Field Artillery Regiment, South Dakota Army National Guard Yankton, South Dakota Died at Brooke Army Medical Center in San Antonio, Texas, on February 7, 2006, of injuries sustained when a roadside bomb detonated near his Humvee on December 4, 2005

Staff Sgt. Jason W. Montefering 27 K Troop, 3rd Squadron, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment Parkston, South Dakota Died when a roadside bomb detonated near his Bradley Fighting Vehicle in Baghdad, Iraq, on July 24, 2005
Chief Warrant Officer Paul J. Pillen 28 Detachment 3, Company A, 249th Aviation Battalion, South Dakota Army National Guard Keystone, South Dakota Died of a non-combat related cause in Salwa, Kuwait, on October 17, 2005

Cpl. Tanner J. O’Leary 23 1st Battalion, 508th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 4th Brigade Combat Team, 82nd Airborne Division Eagle Butte, South Dakota Died of wounds suffered when a homemade bomb exploded in Musa Qal'eh, Afghanistan, on December 9, 2007

Sgt. 1st Class Richard L. Schild 40 1st Battalion, 147th Field Artillery Regiment, South Dakota Army National Guard Tabor, South Dakota One of two soldiers killed when a roadside bomb detonated near their Humvee during convoy operations in Baghdad, Iraq, on December 4, 2005

Chief Warrant Officer Scott A. Saboe 33 Company A, 4th Battalion, 101st Aviation Regiment, 101st Airborne Division Willow Lake, South Dakota Killed when two 101st Airborne Division UH-60 Black Hawk helicopters collided in mid-air over Mosul, Iraq, on November 15, 2003

Capt. Christopher F. Soelzer 26 Headquarters Company, 5th Engineer Battalion, 1st Engineer Brigade South Dakota Killed when his vehicle struck a roadside bomb on Highway 1 near Samarra, Iraq, on December 24, 2003

Staff Sgt. Zachary B. Tomczak 24 2nd Battalion, 325th Infantry Regiment, 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 82nd Airborne Division Huron, South Dakota Died of wounds suffered when insurgents attacked his unit using small-arms fire in Baghdad, Iraq, on September 25, 2007

Staff Sgt. Gregory A. Wagner 35 1st Battalion, 147th Field Artillery, South Dakota Army National Guard Mitchell, South Dakota Died of injuries sustained when a homemade missile struck his Humvee during combat operation in Baghdad, Iraq, on May 8, 2006

Lance Cpl. Joseph T. Welke 20 Company I, 3rd Battalion, 1st Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division, 1st Marine Expeditionary Force Rapid City, South Dakota Welke died on November 20, 2004 at Landstuhl Regional Medical Center, Germany, from wounds received as a result of enemy action on November 19 in Anbar province, Iraq.

If I missed one. My extreme appologizes. Let me know a name and I will make sure they are on this thread.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 04-21-2008 at 01:21 PM..

Old 09-20-2007, 08:06 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,617,212 times
jgussler, that is such a nice thing to do.

My prayers are with the families of the fallen.

Old 09-20-2007, 09:37 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
I agree with Peggy. That was very nice, Guzzler.

One of them was our friend and his funeral was so sad. He was going to be coming home in three months, but never made it. The only good thing that came out of the funeral was that we all learned that Gov. Rounds is a very compassionate and caring person. His speech/sermon was awesome. The soldiers family showed the same bravery that the soldier had. They were proud of him and the things he was doing.

But back on topic~my sympathies are with all the families who lost loved ones. Their sacrifice was so appreciated.

Old 11-29-2007, 01:40 PM

19,723 posts, read 10,492,475 times
http://iraq.pigstye.net/article.php?...acharyBTomczak

Old 11-29-2007, 09:05 PM

My son just come home from Iraq. I thank God that he came home and now is amongst the living. I was amongst the true once upon a time in Desert Storm. Did what I had to and didn't think much of it. Probable worried some folks. But when your son or daughter meets the cause it's a different story.

Thank one and all for their service.

Old 11-29-2007, 09:54 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,710,979 times
Give your son a personal "Thank You" from me and my family. We appreciate what sacrifices he makes for our sakes'!

-Danny

Old 11-30-2007, 06:27 AM

19,723 posts, read 10,492,475 times
I'd like to thank your son, also.
I hear from several of the men, in my son's platoon, as well as 5 local kids, that all joined the Army the summer of 2003(same as my son)........so, it's not unusual, for me to here ''messenger'' in the middle of the night, get up, grab some coffee, and ''talk'' to my boyz, one in Baghdad, one in Afghanastan, currently....
I cannot imagine wars of tjhe past, without the internet..............

Old 11-30-2007, 07:08 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debey View Post
I'd like to thank your son, also.
I hear from several of the men, in my son's platoon, as well as 5 local kids, that all joined the Army the summer of 2003(same as my son)........so, it's not unusual, for me to here ''messenger'' in the middle of the night, get up, grab some coffee, and ''talk'' to my boyz, one in Baghdad, one in Afghanastan, currently....
I cannot imagine wars of tjhe past, without the internet..............
It was horrible before the internet because it took weeks until you'd hear if your loved one was alive or not. There were four boys in DH's family and all four enlisted. That was back during the draft, but they all joined before they were drafted. DH was 17 when he enlisted. I remember Mother in law receiving a purple heart in the mail when bro-in-law was over in Viet Nam and she was terrified for weeks not knowing if he was still alive or not. It turned out he had landed on a mine and had gotten shrapnel (sp?) in his back and he'd been hospitalized for weeks and wasn't able to get in touch with his family. I'm sure there are many others who did a lot of unneccessary suffering and worrying before the real communication age hit.

Elk, you know I've thought about your son so often and he and others have my undying gratitude. I would've never been brave enough to enlist and I know they have to go through a lot of misery. I remember that he came home a few months ago. Was that just for a leave or did he get to stay home now?

Debey~and a big "THANK YOU" to your son also for all of his sacrifices. What country was he in and is he home now, too?

Old 11-30-2007, 08:28 AM

He's home. Not on leave, he's out of the Marine Corp now. 4 years in the Corp and 3 years 11 months of that was over seas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
It was horrible before the internet because it took weeks until you'd hear if your loved one was alive or not. There were four boys in DH's family and all four enlisted. That was back during the draft, but they all joined before they were drafted. DH was 17 when he enlisted. I remember Mother in law receiving a purple heart in the mail when bro-in-law was over in Viet Nam and she was terrified for weeks not knowing if he was still alive or not. It turned out he had landed on a mine and had gotten shrapnel (sp?) in his back and he'd been hospitalized for weeks and wasn't able to get in touch with his family. I'm sure there are many others who did a lot of unneccessary suffering and worrying before the real communication age hit.

Elk, you know I've thought about your son so often and he and others have my undying gratitude. I would've never been brave enough to enlist and I know they have to go through a lot of misery. I remember that he came home a few months ago. Was that just for a leave or did he get to stay home now?

Debey~and a big "THANK YOU" to your son also for all of his sacrifices. What country was he in and is he home now, too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota