Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 08:30 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,816,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I don't own one of these, and don't have plans to buy one, but I do have to wonder why this generates such an emotional reaction for you. It's just a product. Buy one or not, but why is it necessary to personally demean those who choose to do so?
Really! What's up with that?!?!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 10:04 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,501,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Just shows there are a lot of small minded people that believe others are impressed with their possessions, when in reality they don't even care.

If it does actually prove to have some desirable function, wait a couple of months when the price is reduced, the memory in increased, or both.

Whoa did you not get a Christmas gift this year or something? Such an emotional response I'm not sure what to say.

I will honestly use this thing. It will spend the majority of its life helping me to read and play games with my 2 year old little girl. So I can't speak for others, but I assure you I am not trying to impress anyone.

As for waiting, sure, but I am early adopter and have a lot of confidence in Apple products.

Old 04-03-2010, 05:47 PM

298 posts, read 1,090,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
Really! What's up with that?!?!?

I think its because there are a bunch of nuts on both sides. The ones that will buy anything Apple just because its apple and the ones that are against everything Apple and all it stands for. Just as there is the same with Microsoft.

I for one have never really bought or were even that interested in Apple products until the Iphone. I have a 10 year old Dell and a 9 year old Gateway laptop both running Windows XP.
I love my Iphone because it does so much. Not just because its an Apple product. Im not really interested in AppleTV, but because of the great experience I had with the Iphone I am much more likely to buy a mac when I purchase my next computer, which isnt too far away. Also my gf likes my Iphone so much that she just purchased an Ipad a couple of hours ago.

So my point is that there are people that like Apple because it is becomming apparent that they make good products. Then there are those nuts, on both sides.

Old 04-04-2010, 03:59 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Just shows there are a lot of small minded people that believe others are impressed with their possessions, when in reality they don't even care.

If it does actually prove to have some desirable function, wait a couple of months when the price is reduced, the memory in increased, or both.
Yep, I'm with you on that. To borrow from Jack Nicholson - Just coz you have an iPad does not add inches to your member

Old 04-04-2010, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Do you think that's true from a hardware perspective, or is that more of a software statement. If Apple doesn't get things quite right in this version, are most of those things likely to be worked out in the next software release? I'm sure hardware improvements will always come along (more storage, faster processor, etc.) but that doesn't necessarily mean "Gen 1" had problems.
I think this article swayed my opinion. It simply reminded me of my techie instincts coz the thing was so cute I was gonna buy it too. Somewhere the aestheticist idiot in me took over the hardcore techie

should-you-preorder-an-ipad: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance

This is what happened with the iPod when it first came out. I remember seeing idiots on tv, waiting in line outside stores from the previous night

Three months down the line, its prize came down by at least a 100 dollars or something.

It's not like I can't afford it, but I've been taught to use it wisely when investing on something that's over 250$. Honestly, I'll be bummed to no end if 5 months later, the gen II iPad comes out with better features and I'm stuck with a gen 1 version.

It's a technology trait. Post the release of a gen I product, the company's team starts gathering bug data and user opinions and they already start a new project that's intended to enhance their product. They sure want to boost their stock market value riding on the buzz created by the gen 1 version.

I'll wait 4 or 5 months, even a year I already have the iPad mini, LMAO. If I'm only getting something which is a few inches bigger, I better wait till it gets damn better.

Old 04-04-2010, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Whoa did you not get a Christmas gift this year or something? Such an emotional response I'm not sure what to say.

I will honestly use this thing. It will spend the majority of its life helping me to read and play games with my 2 year old little girl. So I can't speak for others, but I assure you I am not trying to impress anyone.

As for waiting, sure, but I am early adopter and have a lot of confidence in Apple products.
Hopefully, Dad will also grow up alongside his daughter

Old 04-04-2010, 04:28 AM

And I randomly went into Google news and here's what I found.

washingtonpost.com

I'm glad I'm waiting. The author complains a lot. Some of the points may be invalid coz she may be a technical dunce (I bet she isn't, it's PC world, they know their stuff), but the key thing I took note of was the lack of Adobe Flash compatibility. Seriously??? Almost every site runs on flash these days.

I'm hoping Gen 2 will take note of all these.

Old 04-04-2010, 08:25 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,261,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
And I randomly went into Google news and here's what I found.

washingtonpost.com

I'm glad I'm waiting. The author complains a lot. Some of the points may be invalid coz she may be a technical dunce (I bet she isn't, it's PC world, they know their stuff), but the key thing I took note of was the lack of Adobe Flash compatibility. Seriously??? Almost every site runs on flash these days.

I'm hoping Gen 2 will take note of all these.
Fortunately, City-Data doesn't use Adobe Flash much. Overall, the points that the author of the PC World article make are valid. However, iPad is a much better e-reader than my Sony PRS-600 Reader. Unlike the Sony Reader, one can read Chinese and Japanese e-books on the iPad, which makes it a useful tool for foreign language students.

Unfortunately, it's a bit of a hassle to type on the iPad (as I'm doing with this post). Overall, the iPad is much better at helping folks to consume media instead of producing it.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:10 AM

529 posts, read 1,301,125 times
Haters gonna hate.

I'll probably get one in a year or two.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:01 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,501,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Hopefully, Dad will also grow up alongside his daughter
Was that meant as some kind of low jab because I spent time on an IPad with my daughter?

My wife and I spend almost every waking min with our daughter since her birth 2 years ago thank you, flexible jobs that allow us to work from home and take care of her. How many people do you know where both parents get to stay home with their kids?

Anyways, I know what I am doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets