Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 11:08 AM

3,645 posts, read 9,234,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
"the masses are asses"

and it is a worthless piece of crap. people bought pet rocks by the millions too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Just shows there are a lot of small minded people that believe others are impressed with their possessions, when in reality they don't even care.
Exactly, on both counts. ie a lot of sheeple will buy them largely if not entirely because it's the cool trendy thing to do. And goodness knows they don't have enough electronic doo-dads to fiddle around with already and impress the friends/neighbors.

oops sorry I forgot you aren't supposed to criticize anything @ CD.com or some are bound to have a hissy....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 08:42 PM

20,329 posts, read 37,375,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
Exactly, on both counts. ie a lot of sheeple will buy them largely if not entirely because it's the cool trendy thing to do. And goodness knows they don't have enough electronic doo-dads to fiddle around with already and impress the friends/neighbors.

oops sorry I forgot you aren't supposed to criticize anything @ CD.com or some are bound to have a hissy....
But think about this: if what both of you have said were true, then we would not be here posting in this forum. In fact we would not even have cell phones, microwave ovens, flat-screen HD TV's and other screens. We would not even have Internet, nor a portable GPS. We would still be cranking our necks trying to listen the radio or TV still using tubes instead of transistors, or maybe driving a Model-T.

Technological advances are bringing all kinds of gadgets consumers. Some of us may not like to see others using such things, but that has a lot more to do we ourselves, nor the gadgets or users. I remember times reading a book while sitting on the toiled. Now I can still do that, but also check the stock market, or even post this comment while sitting on the same toiled.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:05 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,856,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyse View Post
I think its because there are a bunch of nuts on both sides. The ones that will buy anything Apple just because its apple and the ones that are against everything Apple and all it stands for. Just as there is the same with Microsoft.

I for one have never really bought or were even that interested in Apple products until the Iphone. I have a 10 year old Dell and a 9 year old Gateway laptop both running Windows XP.
I love my Iphone because it does so much. Not just because its an Apple product. Im not really interested in AppleTV, but because of the great experience I had with the Iphone I am much more likely to buy a mac when I purchase my next computer, which isnt too far away. Also my gf likes my Iphone so much that she just purchased an Ipad a couple of hours ago.

So my point is that there are people that like Apple because it is becomming apparent that they make good products. Then there are those nuts, on both sides.
Yep, my iPhone is the first Apple product I've ever had and I love it. It is a wonderful thing to have when you have to spend up to 12 hours hanging around hospital waiting rooms while your spouse is having scans/tests.

Not sure why people worry and grumble about other people and the technology they choose to adopt. Haters just make me sad.

Old 04-05-2010, 12:14 AM

2,638 posts, read 6,038,291 times
When version 2 comes out with a light Snow Leopard implementation, USB ports, and/or SD Card slot, I'll be all over it.

Until then, I still cannot justify the price considering the only compelling feature on it that you can't get on a MacBook or an iPhone is iBooks. And as cool an app iBooks truly is, it's just that...an app. It's not a $500 app IMO.

Old 04-05-2010, 04:41 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,252,447 times
No thanks, I'll just stick to my 10" Asus netbook. It does a lot more + no flash issues.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:43 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,354,283 times
What exactly does this thing do that makes it worth $500?

No multitasking, no usb, no flash, awkward typing position. I guess to each their own. A $500 portable book reader with 16gigs of hard disk space?

I can buy a 1TB harddrive for $100 and read all the books I want on my laptop.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:52 AM

614 posts, read 1,380,582 times
Originally Posted by Asheville Native
Just shows there are a lot of small minded people that believe others are impressed with their possessions, when in reality they don't even care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I don't own one of these, and don't have plans to buy one, but I do have to wonder why this generates such an emotional reaction for you. It's just a product. Buy one or not, but why is it necessary to personally demean those who choose to do so?
Ash is right though, certain people have to be the 1st to have ANYTHING! Yea ok WOO HOO big deal, and if we do choose to buy one we wait for the better version.

Old 04-05-2010, 12:21 PM

9,962 posts, read 18,551,635 times
The 1st people are called "early adopters" and there is nothing wrong with it my eyes. We usually help get the product clean by weeding out all the bugs.
If anything, you should thank those early adopters for making the product better.

Old 04-05-2010, 03:36 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,646,796 times
A lot of people own the stock directly or through their funds so they buy the products as soon as they come out and go online to try to promote the products. The mob investor-consumer behavior has been going on since the days of AOL and Prodigy in the mid 90's.

Old 04-05-2010, 03:48 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,924,271 times
Apple has sold 300,000 iPads on the first day. You do know what that means. There are 300,000 suckers. Morons who stand in line for days so the can own something that will riddled with bugs. Also, I cannot see a reason why I would NEED to own one. Have the desktop, laptop, smartphone, etc. I see no need for one. Did you get one of these shirts with your iPad purchase?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets