Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 07:35 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,543,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I don't own one of these, and don't have plans to buy one, but I do have to wonder why this generates such an emotional reaction for you. It's just a product. Buy one or not, but why is it necessary to personally demean those who choose to do so?
It is more amusement at the collective exhibition of ego driven stupidity of the common consumer. Same mindset that caused people to buy pet rocks. PT Barnum was almost right when he said "There's a sucker born every minute". What he had wrong was how often, they are born every second.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 02:08 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,734,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
Apple has sold 300,000 iPads on the first day. You do know what that means. There are 300,000 suckers. Morons who stand in line for days so the can own something that will riddled with bugs. Also, I cannot see a reason why I would NEED to own one. Have the desktop, laptop, smartphone, etc. I see no need for one. Did you get one of these shirts with your iPad purchase?
Good one, LOL.

Old 04-07-2010, 02:13 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,734,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Was that meant as some kind of low jab because I spent time on an IPad with my daughter?

My wife and I spend almost every waking min with our daughter since her birth 2 years ago thank you, flexible jobs that allow us to work from home and take care of her. How many people do you know where both parents get to stay home with their kids?

Anyways, I know what I am doing.
WoW. There sure was a poster who said this thread isn't about you. Turns out it is

2 year old on the iPad? What does that mean?

You'd rather not set the stage for making her sedentary. I hope you'd have seen the kids with their Wii's and sony video games, packing 200 pounds by the time they hit 15, and learned a valuable lesson.

For the record, I know what people do when they work from home. Your company pays you to play on the iPaaaahhd. I'm sick and working from home today, and I'm posting on City-Data. Funny how it works

Old 04-07-2010, 03:21 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,506,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
WoW. There sure was a poster who said this thread isn't about you. Turns out it is

2 year old on the iPad? What does that mean?

You'd
rather not set the stage for making her sedentary. I hope you'd have seen the kids with their Wii's and sony video games, packing 200 pounds by the time they hit 15, and learned a valuable lesson.

For the record, I know what people do when they work from home. Your company pays you to play on the iPaaaahhd. I'm sick and working from home today, and I'm posting on City-Data. Funny how it works
No, the thread isn't about me but you sure are assuming a lot about me lol. That makes me feel the need to educate you. Did you know they have many Flash Card, Music and Learning apps on the iPad?

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/abc-l...330909633?mt=8

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/toddl...303153532?mt=8

Letter Quiz Lite - A free game to Teach Your Toddler Their ABCs for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store

Tozzle - Toddler's favorite puzzle for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store

Oh the evil flash cards that will ruin our children!!!

Last edited by Mach50; 04-07-2010 at 03:48 PM..

Old 04-08-2010, 04:49 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,933,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post

Bitter much?

Old 04-18-2010, 08:23 AM

5,870 posts, read 11,934,139 times
Wow, I came on here to get some perspectives on the iPad and all I got was a bunch of people trashing the people who buy them. That's sad. Why do people feel like they have to bash someone else's choice? After all, it is a choice.

I'm seriously considering buying one. I'm typing this on my Microsoft desktop PC, I don't have an iPhone and I have a hand-me-down iPod Shuffle -I'm not your typical Apple fan, but I've really been impressed with their offerings of late. I'm also not willing to wait until the next generation comes out - I think it's got everything I want and need for right now. Besides, as CHTransplant said, new software releases will probably fix any major bugs.

So, for anyone who HAS bought one - are you happy with it?

Old 04-19-2010, 09:11 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,211,396 times
I have a laptop to do real work, I have a blackberry to carry with me all the time. It has a full office suite and carries 2GB of music I also have a kindle app on my blackberry to read e-books.

Why on earth would I want to carry around another device?

I can't put the IPad in my pocket and it isn't as powerful as my laptop (if I HAVE to carry something in a bag). What demand does it fill? Unless it is going to replace a laptop or smartphone, it is a useless piece of technology.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:20 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,262,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
Wow, I came on here to get some perspectives on the iPad and all I got was a bunch of people trashing the people who buy them. That's sad. Why do people feel like they have to bash someone else's choice? After all, it is a choice.

I'm seriously considering buying one. I'm typing this on my Microsoft desktop PC, I don't have an iPhone and I have a hand-me-down iPod Shuffle -I'm not your typical Apple fan, but I've really been impressed with their offerings of late. I'm also not willing to wait until the next generation comes out - I think it's got everything I want and need for right now. Besides, as CHTransplant said, new software releases will probably fix any major bugs.

I purchased my iPad on April 3rd and I'm quite happy with it. While my iPhone and Asus netbook are more capable devices than my iPad, the iPad's ease-of-use and convenience are its redeeming features. The iPad is pretty much a luxury item -- one doesn't really need it, but it's nice to have.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:05 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,319,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
I absolutely love mine, delivered on 4.3.
Very convenient and the battery life is amazing, I've been getting 11+ hours with normal brightness, WiFi on, push email accounts, etc.

You WILL still need a computer (PC or Mac) to dock it to once in awhile.

I do photo & HD video work, so the iPad will not replace my desktop computers. But it already replaced a laptop for travel/casual computing/browsing/media consumption, etc. Sold my MacBook Pro.

Sunday afternoon I lounged on the deck and watched a few shows via the ABC app (free) - brilliant.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:48 AM

5,870 posts, read 11,934,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I have a laptop to do real work, I have a blackberry to carry with me all the time. It has a full office suite and carries 2GB of music I also have a kindle app on my blackberry to read e-books.

Why on earth would I want to carry around another device?

I can't put the IPad in my pocket and it isn't as powerful as my laptop (if I HAVE to carry something in a bag). What demand does it fill? Unless it is going to replace a laptop or smartphone, it is a useless piece of technology.
That's why it's not for everyone. I don't have a smartphone, I don't have a laptop, I don't have a Kindle and my Shufffle barely qualifies as a music player. That's why it appealed to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
I purchased my iPad on April 3rd and I'm quite happy with it. While my iPhone and Asus netbook are more capable devices than my iPad, the iPad's ease-of-use and convenience are its redeeming features. The iPad is pretty much a luxury item -- one doesn't really need it, but it's nice to have.
+1 Yes, that's what I'm struggling with - I'm frugal by nature so it is a luxury expense! However, we bought DH a Macbook and iPod Touch last year...so I'm thinking it's my turn!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets