Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2023, 08:36 AM

19,447 posts, read 27,866,297 times

Advertisements

We had the extraordinary luck to have a home exchange in Capetown for a month. Car included. We flew economy class (given our ages, that was a huge mistake.)

We stopped in Dubai for several days on the way over, took a multi-day guided small group tour of thru the Garden Route, a 4 day eastern cape safari, then 3 weeks in our home exchange visiting wineries, penguins, local fairs and restaurants and other not-so-touristy things.

Even with the free car and 3 weeks of free housing, it was the most expensive vacation we've ever taken. And worth every single last penny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2023, 09:37 AM

10,571 posts, read 7,781,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
In June of 2022 my wife and I chartered a 1931 restored wooden yacht for a seven day Alaska Inside Passage trip from Juneau to Sitka. We invited six of our relatives to join us for the trip. Cost for the boat charter, plane tickets for my wife and me, hotel for two nights in Juneau and one in Sitka was about $63k

Planning on doing another one next September for the gathering of the humpbacks in Frederick Sound for feeding before they head south. Have invited some friends for this one.
Wow, that's a whopper. How long will you have the boat for this trip?

Old 10-15-2023, 11:48 AM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,672,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Wow, that's a whopper. How long will you have the boat for this trip?
The trip next year will be for a week beginning and ending in Petersburg. We will run up Tracy Arm to the Sawyer Glacier, go up to Pack Creek for bear watching, and cruise around Frederick Sound watching for humpbacks, a bit of halibut and salmon fishing, hiking and kayaking and just enjoying getting away from it all.

Old 10-16-2023, 07:14 AM

1,565 posts, read 2,799,188 times
Just got home last night from a seven-day Caribbean cruise in a group of twenty friends and family. Cost spouse and I somewhere around $5K. Spouse really enjoyed it, me not so much.

Old 10-18-2023, 12:40 PM

22,349 posts, read 29,465,198 times
So, there's two but we didn't pay. Lexus did. In 2020 flew first class direct to Kauai from Denver and stayed oceanfront at the Hyatt. Only thing we were responsible for is our own shopping and food offsite. It was for 5 days and was probably 15k minimum for the two of us.

First class from Denver to Puerto Vallarta (first class) and stayed in a seriously oceanfront huge suite at the St. Regis Punta Mita. Lexus has rented out the entire resort for 4 days and everything was paid for including anything you bought on site in the hotel and we were given numerous gifts from Lexus, Maui Jim, etc. Had to be 15k as well per couple.

Mine personally? I was at the Marriot Marquis with a Times Square view suite of ball drop on NYE. 5 days it cost me well over 8k and this was in 2000. I had booked it in February.

Numerous trips to Las Vegas every year. Each costing well into 5 figures.

Old 10-18-2023, 12:43 PM

Some of these trips sound beyond amazing and money well spent!

Old 10-18-2023, 01:32 PM

144 posts, read 148,020 times
Just the two of us celebrating our 50th anniversary.
Went to HI, Ohau, and stayed in a suite at the Hilton Beach Resort right on Waikiki for a week.
Rented a Mustang convertible and enjoyed things to the hilt.
Had the cash to pay for all of it, planned our retirement well.
Spent just over $17k for the week.
You only go around one time, enjoy it while you can.

A good friend that has since passed away had a good retirement and inherited AT&T stocks and cash and homes free and clear from parents. Always watched his expenditures all his life with his family.
It surprised me when he took his wife on an around the world cruise that lasted some 30+ days. The cruise set them back some $64k a few years back.
They loved it!

Old 10-19-2023, 01:01 AM

30,654 posts, read 18,263,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
So, there's two but we didn't pay. Lexus did. In 2020 flew first class direct to Kauai from Denver and stayed oceanfront at the Hyatt. Only thing we were responsible for is our own shopping and food offsite. It was for 5 days and was probably 15k minimum for the two of us.

First class from Denver to Puerto Vallarta (first class) and stayed in a seriously oceanfront huge suite at the St. Regis Punta Mita. Lexus has rented out the entire resort for 4 days and everything was paid for including anything you bought on site in the hotel and we were given numerous gifts from Lexus, Maui Jim, etc. Had to be 15k as well per couple.

Mine personally? I was at the Marriot Marquis with a Times Square view suite of ball drop on NYE. 5 days it cost me well over 8k and this was in 2000. I had booked it in February.

Numerous trips to Las Vegas every year. Each costing well into 5 figures.
That sounds amazing. How'd y'all get Lexus to cover those trips?

Old 10-19-2023, 09:18 AM

782 posts, read 509,018 times
Several years ago, the wife and I went to Hawaii, the island of Kauai, and stayed in a very nice resort made up of all the plantation houses that were moved to one location on the west coast of the island. Black sand beaches you couldn't swim from, sharks in the water. We had a blast tho, did a resort scuba dive, ate a lot of pig, saw some Hawaiian dance shows, all kinds of stuff.

Old 10-19-2023, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
That sounds amazing. How'd y'all get Lexus to cover those trips?
He works for them and won them via contest
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel