Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2023, 12:51 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,085,965 times

Advertisements

When and where did you travel, how many people in the party, and for how many days?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2023, 02:28 AM

30,628 posts, read 18,209,295 times
My vacations are generally inexpensive. My Taiwan vacation this year (halfway through it) is probably the most expensive. We're currently on my spouse's family's farm in the south of the country, but are returning to Taipei tomorrow. Between airfare, transportation in country, dining, and lodging (we're staying at 5 star hotels in Taipei via the Amex's Fine Hotels & Resorts collection), this trip will probably end up costing $5k for the both of us. In total we'll be in Taiwan for two weeks. Previously, the most I spent on a vacation was probably $1,500.

Old 10-12-2023, 05:30 AM

1,413 posts, read 750,845 times
Before I retired my wife and I went on 3 month-long vacations, 2 to Europe and 1 to SE Asia (2015, 2017, 2019). We didn't particularly try to economize nor spend extravagantly. They were all about $10K vacations.

Interestingly, we did 3 weeks in the UK earlier this year and it was pretty close to $10K as well despite a few nights being "free" when we stayed with friends. Lodging prices have gone up significantly since those earlier Europe trips.

Old 10-12-2023, 06:54 AM

987 posts, read 1,016,941 times
We tend to be mid-range travelers - we can't afford to spend extravagantly on 5 star hotels, etc., but we won't go below a certain level in terms of desirability, etc. I would say that most of our family vacations cost around $5,000 soup to nuts. The most we ever spent was a 2 week trip to Greece and Italy with my mother and mother-in-law, which was around $10,000 total.

Agree that hotel prices have risen sharply in recent years - we used to never spend much above $300/night and recently have had to go above that, particularly since we have a daughter in fifth grade and are beholden to the school calendar.

Old 10-12-2023, 07:59 AM

1,857 posts, read 881,736 times
Yellowstone, Cody, and Jackson Hole for a week.

Flew to Bozeman, rented a car, stayed in West Yellowstone and got a 2br condo for a week. Did the west side of the park for two days, then drove all the way over to Cody WY while checking out the middle part of the park, stayed in a cute little cabin on the Shoshone River for one night.

Got up and drove to Jackson Hole while seeing the east part of Yellowstone NP, then stayed two nights in a beautiful cabin in Jackson Hole. Saw the Grand Tetons and did a covered wagon trip up a mountain to a cookout and dance. The next morning went on a rafting trip down the Snake River then walked all over the town. Went to the Million Dollar Cowboy Bar.

Drove back to West Yellowstone through Idaho and went horseback riding in the mountains while my husband watched football at the condo.

Our last night we drove back into the park after dark and parked for awhile. We could see the stars so clearly. Heard the elk bugling and to this day it was the most beautiful night of our lives.

Old 10-12-2023, 08:06 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,131,933 times
Probably our last trip to Hawaii. It was my wife and I, with 5 days in Maui, staying at a condo on the water, rental car, and flew Hawaiian Air from Seattle. We had a package deal from Costco travel at about $3,500, plus food and other expenses while there, probably about $5,000 in all.

Old 10-12-2023, 09:00 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,022,681 times
$40k

One year long vacation, Round-the-world, for (2).

About the same price as staying home

This year we did 3 months in Greece + a month in UK. ~$10,000.(for 2).
Could have cut that in half, if we planned better, or could have changed travel dates for cheaper airfare. Rental car insurance is getting real expensive. Guess we'll need to find an alternative, but we generally travel and stay rural, so tough to do without wheels.

Old 10-12-2023, 09:15 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,022,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
Yellowstone, Cody, and Jackson Hole for a week.

Our last night we drove back into the park after dark and parked for awhile. We could see the stars so clearly. Heard the elk bugling and to this day it was the most beautiful night of our lives.
$$$. ?

Our early morning float trip from Jackson Dam to Jackson Hole was the most memorable and beautiful adventure of our 45 years together. Cost... Zero. !

I was really fortunate to go through Tetons 3 days / week for 7 yrs as a delivery truck driver. Under the stars on a moonlit night, with glistening snow is awesome!

Being paid to travel to nice places during several jobs, saved a lot of vacation $$$ and time. I've been blessed.

Old 10-12-2023, 09:18 AM

50,357 posts, read 63,939,201 times
Ten days on a tour of GB. About $10k.

Old 10-12-2023, 09:53 AM

5,249 posts, read 3,606,858 times
It will be my next one. Somewhere overseas, most likely Europe & I won't stay with relatives this time. High-end hotels only or a very nice BnB in a good location for a longer stay. I've done a prior lifetime of budget choices, now that I'm retired & "over 30yo" I'm jumping sides - probably won't bump into Gabriel Traveler at any point.

And flights of 4-5 hours or more will be Premium Econ or Business Class, I've pretty much been doing this for several years anyway. Heck, I might even rent a Mercedes instead of taking the bus like I always have in the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel