Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2023, 10:28 PM

16,075 posts, read 10,735,467 times

Advertisements

Two people, trip to London, Paris, Barcelona, Madrid, Santiago de Compostela and then pack to Paris -- 3 weeks = $20k. Screwed by 2 airlines to the tune of $2600 due to their silly policies. We made some expensive choices so we knew it would be expensive. Rented an apartment in Montmartre for almost a week. Chose hotels based on location more than price. This was a one-time trip, so we were willing to pay the cost. Not complaining except for the airline problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2023, 08:55 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,733,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
There are ways to travel cheap but it’s not for me. I help people in my everyday life and don’t intend to when on a trip. I don’t like to be gone longer than 2 weeks so I want to visit the sights that I want to see in a country. I also don’t want to stay with strangers. I am an extrovert but that would feel weird.

I would rather spend the money and take fewer trips but have the experience I desire. When I was married we travelled independently because my husband was good at directions and I was good at planning and booking places.

Now older I travel with a friend and we like taking a tour as our only decisions are what extra excursions do we want to book and what we should do during our free time. If we miss our flight or things are delayed the tour company handles it. They are at the airport with a sign waiting for people to take you to the hotel). It’s definitely hitting the easy button.
I think our travel is more like yours. For our China trip and SE Asia trip, we had a guide and a driver in every city. It's expensive, but makes travel to some countries much more enjoyable.

Old 11-20-2023, 01:42 PM

2,296 posts, read 1,516,926 times
A month in Sth America in 2015, cost around $US30,000.
We have just had a month in Europe and Morocco for about $US15,000 so that trip to South America was very expensive.

Old 11-20-2023, 02:00 PM

2,451 posts, read 1,679,952 times
Around $5000-$6000 all in each on several trips to Europe in the 00s. At that time plane tickets cost $800-$1200 per trip and lodging was about the same. I liked to see a lot of stuff so easily another $1000 on travel/museum/zoo passes. Most trips lasted 10 days but did one 7 day and one 14 day trip.

These are my personal expenses. I traveled with friend so have no idea their spending. Traveling with a friend was nice because it cut lodging in half. Over they years I personally like 10 day vacations. 7 days seemed too short and 14 was too long.

Old 01-02-2024, 09:58 AM

18,464 posts, read 15,242,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
So, there's two but we didn't pay. Lexus did. In 2020 flew first class direct to Kauai from Denver and stayed oceanfront at the Hyatt. Only thing we were responsible for is our own shopping and food offsite. It was for 5 days and was probably 15k minimum for the two of us.

First class from Denver to Puerto Vallarta (first class) and stayed in a seriously oceanfront huge suite at the St. Regis Punta Mita. Lexus has rented out the entire resort for 4 days and everything was paid for including anything you bought on site in the hotel and we were given numerous gifts from Lexus, Maui Jim, etc. Had to be 15k as well per couple.

Mine personally? I was at the Marriot Marquis with a Times Square view suite of ball drop on NYE. 5 days it cost me well over 8k and this was in 2000. I had booked it in February.

Numerous trips to Las Vegas every year. Each costing well into 5 figures.
How was Punta Mita? Is there anything to do there besides staying on the resort and golf?

My in-laws organized a big family trip there next month for a week. We are staying at the Four Seasons, but we decided to stay there an extra couple of days after all the in-laws leave, and by the time we decided, the Four Seasons didn't have anything to accommodate my family of 5 so we will be moving over to the St Regis for the last 2 days.

Old 01-02-2024, 01:43 PM

22,331 posts, read 29,417,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
How was Punta Mita? Is there anything to do there besides staying on the resort and golf?

My in-laws organized a big family trip there next month for a week. We are staying at the Four Seasons, but we decided to stay there an extra couple of days after all the in-laws leave, and by the time we decided, the Four Seasons didn't have anything to accommodate my family of 5 so we will be moving over to the St Regis for the last 2 days.
The St Regis is stunning. The suite we had was beyond amazing and literally on top of the ocean. Things have been really built up now in PM so you'll have more options than what we did. We just stayed on the resort grounds as everything was comped lol.

Please report back or send me a PM about it. I'd love to hear what you think! So jealous

Old 01-02-2024, 02:45 PM

18,464 posts, read 15,242,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
The St Regis is stunning. The suite we had was beyond amazing and literally on top of the ocean. Things have been really built up now in PM so you'll have more options than what we did. We just stayed on the resort grounds as everything was comped lol.

Please report back or send me a PM about it. I'd love to hear what you think! So jealous
I figure it must be beautiful if both the St Regis and Four Seasons put hotels there, but on the map, it doesn't look like there is much else there. I will let you know after the trip.

Old 01-04-2024, 08:50 AM

37,596 posts, read 45,972,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
When and where did you travel, how many people in the party, and for how many days?
I couldn't say. I never add it up. It really doesn't matter to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel