Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2023, 11:34 AM

7,074 posts, read 4,517,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator Fan 79 View Post
$14k 10 day Galapagos trip for 2 people not including airfare and AirBnB in Quito prior to trip. Well worth the splurge.

TT, do you mind sharing your tour operator. We've had very good luck with Intrepid Travel and G Adventures.
For my last two trips we used EF Go Ahead Tours. We are happy with them and using them for this trip also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2023, 11:49 PM

537 posts, read 392,682 times
The most expensive trip I've ever taken per person is an 11 night trip over to Paris, Disneyland Paris, and Belfast I just took my 28 year old son on. We just got back October 2nd. My overall expenses on this were 11K, so 6.5K per person. That's for everything. A good chunk of that was Premium Economy air to Paris and home from Dublin. That air and the inexpensive air between Paris and Belfast (about $150 pp) set me back about 5K (2.5K pp). For the flight out we got upgraded with no extra charge to Business class and those flat bed seats, so that was pretty sweet. Hotels in all the various places we stayed averaged including taxes about $270 a night. I usually if I see something that suits us like to try to be closer to the $200 a night per room price point. For my Disney stay lodging included park tickets. DH who will turn 70 in February decided not to come due to all the walking -- has a few more aches and pains here and there these days. DH did not want to get up early and take the dog out each day when we were gone either, so one of the expenses for example was boarding our dog all that time with day camp etc. and just that for example ran me $750. It was a great trip and DS and I will remember it forever.

Most vacation trips I take in the US are for two to four people renting a cabin or condo and flying out and back with minivan rental-- usually out West are five to seven nights and typically the trip run around 5K to 6K for everything, so this European trip was a splurge for me. It's also probably the last long haul plane trip that I'll do, and it was the first and probably time I paid/will pay for an upgrade and not just fly coach. If I stick to the good ole USA - shorter duration flights, coach is fine for me, but I get really cramped doing coach for long haul flights.

My next big trip is a 2025 July trip to Glacier National Park for seven nights / six days for four people (two couples) and that will set me back about 11K - so will be similar in cost to the most expensive trip I've ever taken that I took this year in terms of expenses. It will be me and DH plus DS and spouse. DS is getting married in May of 2024. The one reason I haven't been to Glacier yet as an adult is probably because costs will be about double what my typical western trip is. But not having hit this National Park yet is one of the reasons DH, DS, and I would like to go. They have such a short season, so flights to the small airport, minivan rental, and lodging in park (very basic lodging - but we go for places that have a private batch and I need two rooms - one for each couple) are pricey during the short 3 month high season when the the "Going to the Sun" highway is open. So many other places out west I've been able to get nice two bedroom / two bath condos or cabins for much less than what I will be paying for Glacier. And most other places have had cheaper flights and minivan rent too. Back in the day when DH and I lived in Denver we'd drive to National parks and tent camp, but sleeping on the ground no longer works for my 63 year old back. And we live in the Midwest now, not out west. Also, given that I am still working and have limited vacation time we fly rather than drive to maximize time out west and flights and car or minivan rent add to the costs too. I'm super excited about this trip, though.

Old 10-21-2023, 08:02 PM

562 posts, read 280,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
For my last two trips we used EF Go Ahead Tours. We are happy with them and using them for this trip also.
Thanks. I've bookmarked EF for future reference as I think I've asked you that question before. We really like small group tours, especially if visiting a country for the first time. Tried RS in Spain this year and it was OK but not great - we'll stick with Intrepid for now but will consider EF in the future. We've been in Osaka the last three nights and have just about adjusted to the time difference. Taking the Shinkansen to Kyoto in a couple of hours to join our new Intrepid group. We expect that the group will be 12 people or less which is a big difference compared to the 26 on our RS trip. Thanks again!

Old 10-22-2023, 09:55 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,732,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
$40k

One year long vacation, Round-the-world, for (2).

About the same price as staying home

This year we did 3 months in Greece + a month in UK. ~$10,000.(for 2).
Could have cut that in half, if we planned better, or could have changed travel dates for cheaper airfare. Rental car insurance is getting real expensive. Guess we'll need to find an alternative, but we generally travel and stay rural, so tough to do without wheels.
I'm totally blown away by these costs and costs other people are quoting.

We've been on three Europe or Asia trips of 21 to 26 days over the past 14 months and we spent about $20,000 on each one.

Do these costs include airfare?

$40k for around the world? Was that 20 years ago?

Old 10-22-2023, 03:04 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,327,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Stealth likes to do it "on the cheap", like staying at working farms/communes for free; it's not for everyone, but it can be done!

Old 10-22-2023, 04:30 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,787,820 times
Including international and domestic airfare, the month spent traveling (road, boat, air taxi) through Madagascar's eastern provinces searching for chameleons. 5 in the party but 2 were hired guide/tri-lingual interpreter and driver. At the time it wasn't possible to rent a car alone. We paid their travel expenses in addition to our own. Don't recall the final bill now.

Last edited by Parnassia; 10-22-2023 at 05:40 PM..

Old 10-22-2023, 06:02 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Quote:

RTW was 2016, but I always keep tabs and could do the same today (similar or cheaper).

I am not seeking to win "Most expensive travel", BTDT on the company dime for 30+ yrs.

I purpose to find least expensive and most extensive travel. Most time away from home for least cost. We prefer to be gone, to being home.

I'm pretty impressed seeing cruise fares right now for under $40 / day That would be <$15k/ yr room + board+ transportation (each)

We just did 3 months in EU and UK for <$10k (for two, including air). Since we were based on an island, air / ferries were very expensive. (We could have done it a LOT cheaper)
It's pretty ez to shop and find Euro or Asia air tickets for under $1000, often $300-$500.

We travel like a local...not a tourist. I like to be surpised at what I'll be doing tomorrow. Most travelers like to be SURE of what they are doing and where they will be going. That's too stressful for me. (fixed schedule). What if I found something I really liked, or someone who really needed me to stay and help a few days?

Such as...
Air: RTW, We bought cheap one-way discount tickets to Australia and used regional / discount carriers from there. (Such as Asia Carriers, Scoot / EZ jet... and several of our Europe legs were on Ryan @ 12-22 Euro / flight)

Food: Cook our own or use local Happy Hour / Tapa type for dining out. or do like the locals and go to a meat / cheese / bread store or fresh local market. Often our hosts cook for us, and provide picnic lunches. (Free)

Lodging: We use international guest homes (as we also use our own home for last 40 yrs).0-$20 per night worldwide. We travel for 'relationships' / meeting and serving others and locals, not for our own entertainment / excursions. (we see plenty of special things and events, but are there as if we were local residents). We also stay and help people if they have need. Farmers, eldercare, personal health crisis, infant care, harvest, fishermen...Just part of understanding and serving other cultures.

Transportation: Local fares are usually way cheaper than tourist fares. If we stay long enough, I'll buy a used campervan, and resell when I leave the region. (I do that for foriegn travelers coming to USA)

We travel over 50% of the time and only have the accumulated wealth of a single wage earner, night shift factory job, leaving employment prior to age 50. so... If we spent a bundle on each trip, we couldn't travel very much. Since we travel a lot, we have a SWA Companion Pass, so one of us flies for free wherever SWA goes. That includes Hawaii a few times / yr @ $81 OW for the one 'purchased' ticket. Since I am not keen on Hawaii, DS takes friends / siblings, elderly parents for free. We probably give away 10 - 20 tickets / yr from our accumulated flight miles, usually to families in need, or funerals, health crisis.

We get by fine. And love to travel, while still able and allowed.

We live pretty inexpensively at home, except for $46+/ day in property taxes.
In the USA, we have income properties in desireable locations, and keep a cheap car and a free cabin at each location. Grab a small backpack and go where the weather is best. (basically for nearly free). Just booked a bunch of SWA $29 fares. (Sale is extended through today).
$29 would not buy much gas. Which BTW... I've been brewing my own (free) fuel since 1976, and still get 50mpg in my 47 year old car. Never been towed to the fix-it shop (yet).

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 10-22-2023 at 06:34 PM..

Old 10-22-2023, 08:08 PM

Gator fan, I looked at your tour company and it appears to be more expensive than mine because it doesn’t seem to include airfare. Also if you travel alone and want your own room it’s 1k extra versus 2k with Intrepid. EF tours handles your luggage, all breakfasts and about half of the dinners.

Old 10-23-2023, 12:51 AM

562 posts, read 280,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Gator fan, I looked at your tour company and it appears to be more expensive than mine because it doesn’t seem to include airfare. Also if you travel alone and want your own room it’s 1k extra versus 2k with Intrepid. EF tours handles your luggage, all breakfasts and about half of the dinners.
It's great to have options. We use points and miles to reduce the cost of our air fair and that really helps. Hope you have a wonderful time on your trip.

Old 10-23-2023, 10:04 AM

Quote:

We've been on three Europe or Asia trips of 21 to 26 days over the past 14 months and we spent about $20,000 on each one.

There are ways to travel cheap but it’s not for me. I help people in my everyday life and don’t intend to when on a trip. I don’t like to be gone longer than 2 weeks so I want to visit the sights that I want to see in a country. I also don’t want to stay with strangers. I am an extrovert but that would feel weird.

I would rather spend the money and take fewer trips but have the experience I desire. When I was married we travelled independently because my husband was good at directions and I was good at planning and booking places.

Now older I travel with a friend and we like taking a tour as our only decisions are what extra excursions do we want to book and what we should do during our free time. If we miss our flight or things are delayed the tour company handles it. They are at the airport with a sign waiting for people to take you to the hotel). It’s definitely hitting the easy button.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel