Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Tri-Cities
 [Register]
Tri-Cities Kennewick - Pasco - Richland area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 11:24 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,458,564 times

Advertisements

I never liked Casa Chapala. I always felt that was more of an old Tri-City habit than a quality business, especially the lackluster service. To me Azteca is kind of like Olive Garden but Mexican, chain, fairly generic. We always go to Cinco de Mayo, which never ever disappoints us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2008, 10:58 PM

150 posts, read 695,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
I never liked Casa Chapala. I always felt that was more of an old Tri-City habit than a quality business, especially the lackluster service. To me Azteca is kind of like Olive Garden but Mexican, chain, fairly generic. We always go to Cinco de Mayo, which never ever disappoints us.
It was my old TC habit because I loved the food there. Some of the people they hired were less then desirable but the ownership and some of the long term employees were wonderful.

Azteca is alright... Never been to Cinco de Mayo.

Old 09-07-2008, 09:59 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,458,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcres View Post
It was my old TC habit because I loved the food there. Some of the people they hired were less then desirable but the ownership and some of the long term employees were wonderful.
Well, what I meant by an 'old habit' was that it seemed to me like one of numerous businesses that I discovered when I moved here, had been here for a long time, were recommended by everyone--so I tried them, and found them overall shockingly mediocre. After several reps of this I decided that they (still speaking generally of multiple businesses) had become more local habits than businesses, long accustomed to having the same loyal longtime regulars and milking the locals' remarkably tolerant attitudes toward poor value for the money. There could hardly be any other explanation, since as I saw it the businesses' own merits wouldn't be keeping them in business.

So these days when a place is recommended to me by everyone who's lived here 30 years and more, and it proves a big disappointment, it goes into that mental 'habit' bucket.

Old 09-07-2008, 12:46 PM

244 posts, read 1,227,543 times
I like Cinco de Mayo off of Cleawater in Kennewick. They have THE BEST SALSA in the world. Every time we drive down Clearwater my kids ask if we can stop at Cinco de Mayo and get some salsa. I think you can buy it in a 16 oz or 32 oz. Anyway, the people who work there are super nice. Good food and good prices, too.

Old 09-10-2008, 02:26 PM

11 posts, read 124,331 times
I personally don't think any of the "chain" restaurants are anything special, to be honest. Coming from a city that has some really good authentic Mexican food, I found that I just couldn't find anything that compares since I've been in the NW. My mom and I are actually on a mission to find the best Mexican restaurant in the Tri-Cities, lol.

There are still a lot of places we haven't tried (we've done Cinco do Mayo, Fiesta [which I personally think is the worst], Inca, Casa Chapala, Azteca, etc), but so far the best place we've found is a little locally owned restaurant just on the Pasco side of the blue bridge. Off the top of my head I can't remember the name, but it used to be a little diner called Hagar's until this new Mexican restaurant opened up there a couple years ago. They don't have a huge menu, but their food is awesome and the owner is very nice. I highly recommend it.

Old 09-10-2008, 04:37 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times
Of course "Best Mexican Food" is pretty subjective - Ask 100 Russians who makes the best borsch, and they all answer "My Grandma". But that does not mean they all agree!

I don't know enough about it to say, but almost certainly there are several distinct regional cuisines in Mexico.

So there is one question about the quality of the restaurant, is it clean, good service, is the food made well from fresh, high-quality ingredients, for this I would say certainly Inca, El Chapala, Chapala Express, Garibaldi's and Isla Bonita are all good. And I'm not saying that any place I didn't mention is bad, just saying these off the top of my head are good. Now Isla does spice their dishes differently from most of the rest of them, to me, it's neither better or worse, just different - but some friends don't like it.

Another aspect is what kind of value they give for the buck. To me, Chapala Express is the best deal in town on Mexican food, but they don't have a very upscale atmosphere - not a place to take a date to impress, nor a business associate.

To go a little OT, I really like El Ranchito in Zillah, and the old original El Porton in West Yakima. I like them both although they each have a completely different approach to the cuisine.

Old 09-13-2008, 07:49 PM

371 posts, read 1,761,452 times
Yes, I tried El Porton in *** today. Best. Ever. It sucks that they only have it in *** and in Wenatchee. Stupid Wenatchee.... We should riot!

But seriously, I wished they moved here .

Old 09-15-2008, 12:23 PM

There is a "satellite" location of El Porton in Zillah, close to the western-most Interstate exit. They are not quite as good as the one in West ***, but almost.

Old 09-15-2008, 07:17 PM

371 posts, read 1,761,452 times
Zillah is practically next to Yakima. And they have another in Union Gap. Why do they make them so close to Yakima? They should expand eastward! Well, I guess Wenatchee is a ways off...

Old 09-16-2008, 12:51 PM

In Kennewick today I noticed Santa Anita, close to the intersection of Washington Street and 1st Ave (just south of Clover Island). Anybody try them yet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Tri-Cities