Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2022, 09:07 AM

848 posts, read 966,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Haha, yeah. I've got lots of pictures. But I'm not going to be the only one posting. So, hopefully others will share some photos as well. ...
It's really appreciated though! Vancouver is at the top of our list of places to move, but we've been concerned about just how cloudy it is. Complete cloud cover with white clouds are one thing. But dark gray overcast rain clouds everyday for months are another. So these pictures nearly every day (your posts in the WA thread) help to show that it's not really like that, so it's been alleviating that concern. Would you say the last few months worth are typical of your time there, or more anomalous?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2022, 03:33 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Picture perfect sunbreaks can happen for a few minutes more than 30% of the gray days. Some years more than 50% of the gray days can sport a momentary ray of sunshine. I found it helped a lot to be east near the Columbia Gorge (more wind / changes of weather.). More prone to the occasional ice storm. 3-5x / yr, vs 1x every 3-5 years.

Starlit nights are few and far between, but usually a week's worth about this time of yr. Moon moments are more fleating than sunbreaks.

I'm a very short term resident (37yrs) in SWWA. Most of the people we volunteer with have more than twice our stay. Our youngest neighbors are in their 80s, and lifelong residents.

Obligatory photo. (From those not on the chamber of commerce promotion board)
https://www.city-data.com/forum/memb...-cape-horn.jpg

Old 01-16-2022, 06:00 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,691,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixSomeday View Post
It's really appreciated though! Vancouver is at the top of our list of places to move, but we've been concerned about just how cloudy it is. Complete cloud cover with white clouds are one thing. But dark gray overcast rain clouds everyday for months are another. So these pictures nearly every day (your posts in the WA thread) help to show that it's not really like that, so it's been alleviating that concern. Would you say the last few months worth are typical of your time there, or more anomalous?
Most folks who move here from sunnier locations have similar concerns. We moved here from sunny California where winters are actually one of the sunniest times of year. Honestly, there are two types of answers to this basic question. I think you can glean information from both.

1. Looking at the historical data. One of the problems with historical weather data especially with regards to sunshine is that it is not always that accurate. It ends up missing the fuller picture. Days which show party cloudy or mostly cloudy can still have some sun and blue sky. I love when the weather man is wrong and feel gleeful that he was so pessimistic and yet the sun still came out. Then you have to add in micro climates within Vancouver and its surrounding area which can be different - more sun or less. That is one of the reasons I've posted real photos throughout the winter season to demonstrate that yes, the sun does come out even in the darkest, rainiest time of year. Just don't expect every day to look like that since there really are many when the sun does not appear in the sky.

2. Personal experiences. Everyone has a different experience with the climate here in the PNW. And we have transplants from every warm weather state in the nation including AZ. Everyone also needs some level of sun eventually. Our bodies thrive on it in the form of vitamin D. It also affects mood levels. I'm one who seeks out sun especially during this winter cloudy season. And, yes, we definitely have a cloudy, rainy season where seeing the sun is more rare. Anyone who tells anything differently is lying. But there are also sun breaks which I thoroughly enjoy and capitalize upon when they come. Just 'one' sunny day in between a string of rainy, cloudy days can make a huge difference for me. Then, add some partial days with sun breaks and little to no rain and its less terrible than you might imagine. But if you work outside, the heavy rains may affect you differently. You end up feeling every inch of it on your day. Whereas, if you work indoors and can take little breaks here and there, you can walk outside when there's a break and catch a little sun or some clearing and go for a walk.

You also have to factor in global warming affecting the PNW as well as the rest of the world including the warmer states in terms of more droughts. California used to get a lot rainier when I grew up there which I actually enjoyed until the last couple decade or so. But the relentless droughts gave way to super fires that have burned entire towns. Those droughts and associated fires have gotten worse every year, not better. Here in the PNW, they also receive less rain than in decades past. And so even here fires have gotten worse. But the rain definitely helps. By the time the dry summers are over, most are really looking forward to the rainy season again. Once mid-winter hits around now, most are looking forward to spring which gives way to more sunshine, warmer weather, wildflowers, tulip festivals, cherry blossoms, etc...

So, you have to overlay your own preferences and lifestyle including the ability to get outside when the sun does come out with all this information to make a more informed decision. Speaking of lifestyles, if you are able to take a winter 'warm-up' vacation to CA, AZ, FL, HI, etc... it makes it much more livable as well.

Here's one from today when the skies cleared and the mountain came out which made for a beautiful winter day in Vancouver. Keep in mind also that when you can see the mountains, lakes, rivers, valleys and coastline, it's one of the most beautiful places in the nation. So, that helps to remember when the rain is bearing down on you thinking about how green and beautiful it will be once the sky clears. It's also why its a dream location for landscape photographers and nature lovers.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 01-16-2022 at 06:25 PM..

Old 01-17-2022, 10:59 PM

It was sunny in Vancouver most of the day. When the weather is nice like this, I sometimes like to drive to the coast which was amazing today. I padded Devils Lake and then hiked up God's Thumb to catch sunset. Here are a few pictures from an amazing day. It did not feel like winter in today at all.

Derek

Old 01-22-2022, 05:03 PM

It's a beautiful, sunny winter day today in Vancouver. You gotta get outside and enjoy the weather when its so nice like this. These photos are from the trails at Round Lake.

Derek

Old 01-23-2022, 12:17 AM

208 posts, read 145,625 times
Great photos MtnSurfer!

Old 01-23-2022, 11:28 PM

Today we had fog for the first half of the day. Then the sun broke out and it was quite beautiful followed by a colorful sunset.

Derek

Old 01-25-2022, 08:54 PM

Went for a paddle after work that started out a bit windy and then glassed off right after sunset. I'm loving these winter sunsets.

Derek

Old 01-29-2022, 12:08 AM

It was another beautiful winter day in Vancouver today. Here are a few pics form Vancouver while paddling after work.

Derek

Old 02-05-2022, 09:20 PM

I awoke to sunny skies today in Vancouver. We had a nice mix of sun and clouds along with a colorful sunset. I went for a paddle along the Lewis River in Ridgefield and enjoyed seeing a beaver swimming by along with some eagles. All in all it was a beautiful winter day.

Derek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area