Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one is more subtropical?
North Carolina 14 51.85%
North Island NZ 10 37.04%
Both in their way 4 14.81%
None 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2024, 07:55 PM

389 posts, read 99,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emman85 View Post
It's vegetation common to mainly lowland areas 23 degrees to 35 degrees N/S latitude, the geographic subtropics. Some of these places share flora in common with lower latitude tropics and some with cooler mid latitude areas but overall there would be unique ecoregions, like the southeastern yellow pine region or southern Californian chaparral.
So it's only based on latitude, not characteristics?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2024, 10:22 AM

414 posts, read 84,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
"Almost tropical" is the Australian definition of subtropical.

I dare say, it's probably the definition used by many (most?) people elsewhere too.
But this is just so little short of tropical that it can’t be the main definition.

Old 04-11-2024, 03:08 PM

404 posts, read 256,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandshark View Post
So it's only based on latitude, not characteristics?
It's characteristics that's correlated with latitude, so I'd consider cold hardy palm trees as an example of uniquely subtropical vegetation.

Old 04-11-2024, 03:16 PM

Quote:
It's characteristics that's correlated with latitude, so I'd consider cold hardy palm trees as an example of uniquely subtropical vegetation.
Yes, which is I see nz vegetation as subtropical, evolved for year round growth without any requirement for chill.

Old 04-11-2024, 03:51 PM

50 posts, read 7,642 times
Quote:
Yes, which is I see nz vegetation as subtropical, evolved for year round growth without any requirement for chill.
That’s a tropical climate.

Many species of fern are evolved for “year round growth”. Doesn’t make it “subtropical”.

Old 04-11-2024, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesja View Post
That’s a tropical climate.

Many species of fern are evolved for “year round growth”. Doesn’t make it “subtropical”.
Plants around here have no chill requirement, but it's not a tropical climate.

Any temperate zone plant that grows year round is on the subtropical spectrum.... you've just been conditioned to think of the natural world as having to follow man-made classification, hence your confusion.

Last edited by sandshark; 04-11-2024 at 04:21 PM..

Old 04-11-2024, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Plants around here have no chill requirement, but it's not a tropical climate.

Any temperate zone plant that grows year round is on the subtropical spectrum.... you've just been conditioned to think of the natural world as having to follow man-made classification, hence your confusion.
Ok lets settle this subtropical climate is not exactly that. But I do agree that that temperate would be warm even if not subtropical. I my own way I view North Island NZ as pre-tropical oceanic, I view may area as pre-tropical humid subtropical bordering on tropical monsoon. So that pre-tropical in the way I view Köppen emphasizes that it is the warmer side and that year round growing is a possibility within the ranges. That’s how I view it. Infact I created this specific division within Köppen because I believe this reduces arguments. Australia has plenty of pre-tropical subtropical and oceanic, while in US, parts of Europe and parts of Asia, pre-continental is very common, though pre-tropical still exists.

Old 04-11-2024, 08:45 PM

Quote:
It's vegetation common to mainly lowland areas 23 degrees to 35 degrees N/S latitude, the geographic subtropics. Some of these places share flora in common with lower latitude tropics and some with cooler mid latitude areas but overall there would be unique ecoregions, like the southeastern yellow pine region or southern Californian chaparral.
Well the Köppen typical latitudes of Cfa humid-subtropical is 25-40°, between the tropics 23.5 and 25° it has so many tropical characteristics that climates can easily be tropical, and after 35th parallel in many cases specially northern hemisphere climates still resemble characteristic of it, Europe exceeds even the 40° pretty much, well but above 35° I would agree that it can share boundaries with other climates that are cooler or colder no problem, but I prefer the 40° mark for subtropical climates. I Europe I would go up to 47 or even 48°N finding microclimates, in AUS under 35°S it’s hard, at 37°S or below it’s literally like impossible to find even small microclimates, in South Africa the country ends before the 35th parallel and oceanic climates already present easily, so I give it a 34°S mark, South America in Argentina microclimates up to the 41st parallel, North America coastal is literally tropical starting at 28°N, so up to 42-43° it does, while microclimates in west have shown 46°. Well Hong Kong inside tropics is still Cfa/Cwa so it is obviously even below tropics so the 25° would not apply, but in US 26-28°N is tropical borderline so it literally shows that it doesn’t fit the 25° line even. With all that mix up 25-40°N is most reliable with

Old 04-15-2024, 06:12 PM

91 posts, read 77,824 times
North Carolina has a more typical subtropical climate like Eastern North America or East Asia. New Zealand has a very mild, and rarer version of a subtropical climate. Neither one is more subtropical. We may need Subtropical oceanic, and Subtropical continental climate zones though.

Old 04-17-2024, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunters1212 View Post
North Carolina has a more typical subtropical climate like Eastern North America or East Asia. New Zealand has a very mild, and rarer version of a subtropical climate. Neither one is more subtropical. We may need Subtropical oceanic, and Subtropical continental climate zones though.
New Zealand is just oceanic, I don’t know why people don’t understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather