Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2020, 08:44 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,058,679 times

Advertisements

1st job after hs the plant was in the middle of nowhere, so it was like a tradition that everybody had those cardboard sunshades, and streams of people would go out to their cars at lunch hour and sleep in their cars. I did it too. The company even rang a bell at 7 mins to the hour, just like a schoolbell to remind everyone to wake up and assume your position on the assembly line/office at :00

2nd job during college worked Graveyard shift and there was a gentleman's rule/dont ask dont tell that you could nap on the job as long as all your other work was done by the time the Dawn Patrol arrived to take over the next shift.

3rd job after college, there was such intense pressure to perform, and coordination with other time zones/countries, yeah those of us that took our career very seriously pulled some all-nighters. My office was big enough to put into a couch or futon in the corner (but I was more likely to park my mountain bike in there). You could 'get away with' sleeping there once or twice, but security made nightly rounds, there's no way they'd 'let' anybody live there for any length of time.

In 2019, lotsa places put in 'quiet rooms' and 'mothers rooms' so yes you have permission to sleep at work,
but in 2020 with Coronavirus idontcare what you do in your own house, but your Zoom camera better work when its worktime!

Also, don't stand up when you're on-Zoom-camera because we all know your bottom half is still pajamas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2020, 11:05 PM

11,483 posts, read 6,002,443 times
No, I can't say I have ever slept overnight in any workplace that I have worked at. I have worked from 7 am to Midnight. I have stayed up all night and worked. I have never slept at work. If I was given a chance to sleep, I have always gone home to bed or if offsite, back to a hotel.

I suppose sleeping at the office would be fine if the accomodations are there for it. I would not knock anybody who does it. It is not really for me. When I am not working, I don't want to be at work. If it means driving home and back, so be it. Home is where the heart is. A man's home is his castle. Work is just... work.

Old 11-14-2020, 11:16 PM

13,130 posts, read 21,001,609 times
Because we deal with projects all over the world and our specialty is dealing with crisis, employees have been know to remain at the office for a few days in support of the field staff and projects. Although I do have a sleep cell in my office, my employees generally uses the emergency shelter because it has sleep cubical, full bathrooms, kitchen, lounge and is integrated with the office. They just transfer their desk phone to portable phone they bring with them and hook into your company network. I actually prefer they stay on site versus the late night run home just to be called out to rush back or trying to deal with something critical after a uncomfortable doze at the desk or however others elsewhere try and do it. And to be honest, I think some actually look forward to workamping at the office!

Old 11-15-2020, 05:35 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,917,274 times
Never on purpose. When I was younger we had a security detail that was out on the far edge of town in the middle of nowhere. We had to provide security at a municipal complex afterhours every three weeks (rotation). I usually worked the day shift on Sunday.

My Sarge usually took the overnight shift on Saturday. When he couldn't work, the rest of us took turns on that shift.

Every time I drew that shift, I'd fall asleep about an hour in and wake up a long while later. I could not stay awake for anything on that midnight shift.

Thankfully nothing ever happened (one minor event in the 10 years that I was aware of that post).

Old 11-15-2020, 06:17 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,336,890 times
I did 3 contacts down in Antarctica and at the one station, we had 2 buildings you can choose from to have your sleeping quarters. The both times I worked at this particular station (Palmer Station) I picked the building which also had my office (one floor below) and it also had the galley/dining hall (one floor below) and research labs as well (two floors below).

So every morning I would wake up, take a shower and go downstairs to eat breakfast, then walk down the hallway to my office, shortest commute ever!

Other then that, when I worked at Duke University Medical Center doing HIV research, twice I did end up staying overnight at work, once just for a night and the other time it was for 2 nights in a row, the reason both times was a snow/ice storm that hit Durham during the winter.

I knew the storm was coming but had experiments I wanted to get done, so I brought in my air mattress, pillow and blankets and ended up inflating it and sleeping in our conference room both times.

Old 11-15-2020, 07:16 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
I used to do it all the time. I'm one of those weird 15 minute power nappers. My energy level crashes in the afternoon so I took a nap during part of my lunch hour and woke myself up after 15 minutes. I don't do it anymore; my workplace is too busy.

Old 11-15-2020, 07:37 AM

862 posts, read 976,409 times
I work overnights sometimes and keep a blanket and pillow hidden in office, if it is slow I will place blanket on the conference room floor(no soft furniture allowed in building) and use it as a sleeping bag. I dread working overnights but its required so i will try to just make it as bearable as I possibly can.

Old 11-15-2020, 07:47 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,667,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerobime227 View Post
In Asian countries it's very common to sleep in your office/place of work, have you?
I've never slept in my office, but I have pulled some all nighters where I stayed up all night working. There were a few times when I worked on a proposal or presentation all night, and then caught a plane and flew somewhere to deliver it. I would arrive at the airport and buy a toothbrush and toothpaste to brush my teeth in the airport before I drove to where I was making the presentation. It probably took a few years off my life.

I've also heard stories that working all night is fairly common on Wall Street.

Old 11-15-2020, 10:44 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times
I worked at my dad's gas and service station from when I was 11 in the late 70's until 1992. I used to hang out with people from near the station and would be too drunk or tired to drive home so there were nights I slept there. We had a car bench seat in the office that I used to sleep on. Our German Shepherd loved when I slept there lol

There were a few times the cops stopped by because they saw my car and/or saw lights on, they wanted to make sure I was ok.

Old 11-15-2020, 12:57 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,789,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerobime227 View Post
In Asian countries it's very common to sleep in your office/place of work, have you?
Back in 2003 my company put me on weekends at 13 hours a day. Really stupid as we got hardly any freight incoming on Sat/Sun

Sitting at my desk, I nodded off at 9 am. Woke up at 4:30 pm Since I started at 6 am. I just shut off th he computer and went home.

Luckily, they ended those shifts after several others also fell asleep like I did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment