Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2020, 08:11 AM

17,629 posts, read 17,710,905 times

Advertisements

I have in two different situations. The first was the US Navy. It counts because we sleep on the ship. The second is my current job. For hurricanes we’ve had to sleep at the hospital so we will be here when the power goes out a d everything goes to heck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2023, 06:13 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,158,994 times
Nothing to be ashamed of, many business owners sleep at the business in order to catch up on work, or watch the place due to burglaries.

Old 10-01-2023, 10:36 AM

143 posts, read 85,854 times
Unless you're a sailor or otherwise have a job where sleeping at the job is typically a part of the deal, I can't see why someone would sleep at work.

I worked at an accounting firm where some of the people would either pull all-nighters or bring sleeping bags and sleep in their offices. I never did that and if I was told to do so, I'd promptly look for a different job.

Old 10-02-2023, 04:09 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,600,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wangchin213 View Post
Unless you're a sailor or otherwise have a job where sleeping at the job is typically a part of the deal, I can't see why someone would sleep at work.

I worked at an accounting firm where some of the people would either pull all-nighters or bring sleeping bags and sleep in their offices. I never did that and if I was told to do so, I'd promptly look for a different job.

If you read the thread you will see some of the many reasons people sleep at work.

Old 10-02-2023, 06:24 AM

862 posts, read 977,839 times
I have over the years napped on the overnight shift when it is slow, I keep two pillows and a blanket in a old file cabinet. I find working overnights are something the average person would not do and I try to make it as paletable as possible as it is a job requirement.

Old 10-02-2023, 08:48 AM

15,072 posts, read 10,115,870 times
I worked a long time with a tight nit group at a small company. They all know I have sleeping issues and it isn't uncommon to find me napping at my desk. I do have a reputation of getting my stuff done and staying in the office longer to get them done. So it was never really an issue with my management there. Heck, the CEO of the company and I shared an office back in the day. They did put me in the corner of the floor out of sight though... I worked with that company for probably 15+ years.

In a previous job (IT related), I worked three 12 hour night shift Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. We were the skeleton crew and the manager during that shift was very flexible. It was considered the worst shift that they had very difficult time to hire to cover. Since we worked alone in our particular area, it also had to be reasonably skilled/knowledgable person who can handle tough situations independently. So in a way, I was doing them a favor by covering that shift so they didn't have to beg others to cover each week. We as a skeleton crew were on call but also had routine maintenance to perform. So we all would hit the office running and hustle to get the maintenance done in the first half of our shift. The rest of the time was spent waiting on call; so I slept with the phone next to my head. It was a good job but the flipping from night to daytime wakeness (I had children/family) was wreaking havoc on my health. I did it for 4 years and I haven't slept well since that time.

Old 10-02-2023, 09:24 AM

6,817 posts, read 4,260,862 times
Back in college I was an intern working at an academic institution attached to the college. I started work at 9-9.30 am, but routinely ran out of work mid-afternoon. Most people in the place left at like 4.30 because they were starting work at 8 am or earlier. My boss would check in before he went home at 4.30, and I'd give him a rundown of everything then. I had hardly any interaction with other workers there really because I was that guy's 'helper' as an intern. I also effectively had my own office for long stretches as my office mate was part-time and only there a couple days a week.

This meant I often had anywhere between an hour and 90 minutes to kill on my own in my office without work to do in a quiet and increasingly empty building. One day I was so tired and bored, I put down my coat on the floor under my desk and laid down to nap until the end of my 'shift'. I only did this once because even though there was a pretty low risk of being caught, I knew that if I was caught it'd be pretty bad news.

Old 10-03-2023, 11:24 AM

11,083 posts, read 6,658,390 times
I bought 2 acres in VT, planning to build a house. In the early stages I slept in my camper shell on the property. I worked 2 full-time jobs. One was the overnight shift at the local airport to log in the cargo planes as they arrived. On the weekends when I was off, I snuck into the airport and slept on the couch, took a shower and was out before the morning shift came in.

Saved me a lot of money. Looking back, I am kind of aghast I did that.

Old 10-03-2023, 01:23 PM

2,623 posts, read 3,153,282 times
I worked with a friend from about 2001-2004. Small electrical contractor, had 2 other guys when I started with him. The other 2 left & it was mostly the 2 of us with occasional temporary help.

We would have very little work for awhile, then get all we could handle. We got several projects rewiring stores, Dollar General and a few other similar size. They were all over 3 counties. We would do our smaller work separately by day and gang up at night. Might work to 2-3 AM then sleep in a corner and start over again. We knew every coffee shop in each area so we stayed loaded up on espresso. We made time to run home for a shower every other day while in that mode.

This wasn't standard, just short bursts here and there. Work was hard to get and we had to hustle all we could while we had it.

Old 10-03-2023, 01:35 PM

6,463 posts, read 7,804,532 times
Happens a lot in hospitals. I've been in healthcare admin for over 20yrs, so am not a clinician but have always been considered "essential personnel". I have slept on sight several times for various reasons. Clinicians sleep on site more often than I have. Although not a clinician, I was given a little party and a white lab coat by my colleagues to indicate that I am an honorary clinician. That was a long time ago but I still have the lab coat. Fun times.

We did all sorts of things back in the day. Those things would be considered lunacy by many of the young workers today. I mean, can you imagine leaving your house and going to the office 5 whole days a week? Sometimes even 6! And then after getting home, you eat and then work again. If you can't imagine that then that is one of the reasons you are not where you want to be. You don't bust your hump to look good for your employer, you do it to learn and to develop discipline and a tolerance for work, and to toughen up so you can then be in a position to handle tough times. Makes you strong, confident, and capable. That's a better thing to spend your time on than unaffordable vacations, cars, and latte's. Learn to be pleased with yourself and you won't need to strive for the admiration of others. That's the secret.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment