Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2020, 08:06 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,440,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
My first job out of college was working in a data center that operated 24/7/365. I worked the graveyard shift which was 11 PM - 7 AM. We had 6 technicians on duty and on quiet nights, our manager would allow us to sleep for 1-2 hours in alternating “sleep breaks.”

That was many years ago.
Exact same model - staff of 6 - someone sick or on vacation meant overtime. So we'd pull doubles often. Many guys lived far away (cost of living) and would just sleep at the datacenter so they could get a solid 8 hours instead of wasting almost 2 hours each way driving to and from work. Not to mention safety issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2020, 02:52 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,259,938 times
Never. The most sleeping I ever did at a job was a nap in my car during my hour lunch break. Although I always worked at law firms before becoming self-employed, I never worked for a mega firm where that was a thing.

Now, I have a friend who is an investment banker in NYC. When he graduated college and got a job there, within the first week of starting his boss came to him and asked him to have a fresh suit ready in his office because WHEN he had to stay the night there, they didn't want them meeting with clients in a suit they've worn two days straight.

Uh...yeah, no thanks to that lifestyle. He makes a KILLING in his job, but that sounds like Hell.

Old 11-19-2020, 07:14 AM

155 posts, read 165,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Wow, I've never worked at a company big enough to have employees sleeping in their offices.

What does the size of the company have to do with it? The size of the office/workspace and availability of useable space seem to be the only logical component. I have worked for a company that had less than ten people on 4000 sq.ft. and for an office that had about a hundred people on 1000 sq.ft. Both had options to spend the night.

Old 11-21-2020, 03:09 PM

1,532 posts, read 2,423,993 times
Back in the late 70’s living in NY we had a group house in the Hamptons. Usually headed home late Sunday afternoon after a day on the beach. One time the gang said let’s stay and party. Back to the beach house at 2am and off to work at 6. At lunch time I told my secretary I was going to put my head down and skip lunch. Woke up at 4:30 with a drool spot on my blotter. Secretary knew I was in a world of hurt and covered for me.

Old 11-21-2020, 03:14 PM

2,227 posts, read 1,406,939 times
Pre COVID, no.
Right now, maybe, because the bedroom is a close walk to my place of work. Sometimes I’m asked to attend early calls on short notice and make up some sleep in the afternoon when I log an hour of lunch break. This wasn’t common Pre COVID though.

Old 11-27-2020, 03:18 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,794,549 times
Actually, I recall that a company out in Hillsboro, Ore has some programmers who sleep at the office on a weekly basis....Their families come visit also....

Oh yes, Intel is the company. However they have changed over the years. Some very positive comments from glassdoor and some not so positive.

From what I read, they have become top heavy.....typical poor management on structure.

Old 11-27-2020, 11:16 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,945,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerobime227 View Post
In Asian countries it's very common to sleep in your office/place of work, have you?
Yes, many times.

I am known for snoring.

Usually just 10 minutes which clears my mind, freshens me up and makes me more productive.

I see nothing wrong with this.

Old 12-01-2020, 02:50 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,358,223 times
When DH had his bakery in the early to mid 80's, we practically LIVED there in the busy weeks before Thanksgiving through Christmas. It would be necessary to have pies, bread, cookies, etc. in the ovens or proofer almost round the clock, to keep ahead of all the orders. We spent two to three days there at a time without going home (we lived quite a distance away). There was an inflatable air mattress in the back office, and the shopping plaza where the bakery was located had everything else we needed. We were members of the gym in the plaza, so we took turns going there for workouts in the evening and a shower afterward. We'd pick up the occasional bottle of wine at the next door liquor store, and subs and pizza at another shop in the plaza. We did our laundry when needed at the laundromat. We had a coffee maker and a portable TV. All the comforts of home.

Other times, after a late night of clubbing or a party on the weekend (heck, we were in our 20's/early 30's), we didn't bother going home at all...we'd just go in the back office to crash for a few hours before starting the morning's doughnuts.

Looking back, those were great times.

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 12-01-2020 at 02:59 AM..

Old 12-01-2020, 10:03 AM

779 posts, read 425,354 times
I have had to on a few occasions.

I currently work at a facility where unplanned down time is unacceptable, or at the very least costing the company a lot of money. They are measuring the time to get things running again in minutes and hours, not days. They tend to have lots of redundancy in the systems to handle equipment failure without downtime. But there are still situations where things break down and need to be dealt with immediately, no matter the time of day/night.

I have about 45min commute to and from work. There have been times where I got called in at night, get the problem fixed but by then it's early hours of the morning. I'm dead tired and wouldn't feel safe trying to drive home. So I'll snooze for a few hours in my office. Then hopefully drive home in the morning and take the day off.

Old 12-02-2020, 02:05 PM

56 posts, read 30,550 times
A while back I was working on late-night creative projects outside of work, so I would sometimes use my lunch break to take a nap in my car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment