Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2020, 01:07 PM

35,087 posts, read 31,331,023 times

Advertisements

Yes - there were a few times when we’d get snowed in. The office was in a remote area in the mountains in rural Virginia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2020, 03:16 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,417,653 times
Snow was a bigger deal in NJ when I was working in manufacturing up there as staff not an operator. I had a service clear my driveway so I could get it plowed and get to work if it snowed. First time that happened, I headed out to work along a busy US highway 22 to ward NYC to get to work. About half way to work I noticed I was the only one on the road lol. We had over 12 in of snow. I saw a cop car idling in a parking lot and asked the cop if it was safe to be on the road...he said sure...so on to work I went lol.

Not that my job was a critical as the plant workers but if you didnt show up they razzed you for months lol

Old 11-15-2020, 05:07 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,154,124 times
College all-nighters didn't count. Those didn't work so great anyway in terms of productivity.

Back in the day in the programming labs, a couple of us built sleep areas that were mostly out of sight. Despite that, I can't recall spending much time napping at work as it just didn't gel with my style. In the decades since, I cannot recall deliberately taking a nap of any kind during any particular day. Nor being drunk on the job or other gross dereliction.

I've never been that devoted to a job to care enough for working through the night. I've seen some weird places, done some weird things from the Nevada to California deserts and urban areas, but sleeping as a regular occurrence: not so much.

Hmm: Last year we had some 1am migrations of hardware at hospitals, that being one of the better times to do the activities in most cases. A couple failed, so we had conference bridges going to 6am or so for troubleshooting. After one must have been about November-December I nodded off mid-conversation (by phone) with a couple guys, so they laughed and took over for me c. 9-10am. Probably doesn't count, though, as not a regular thing. Great teams at that company, btw.

Old 11-16-2020, 01:00 AM

155 posts, read 165,551 times
While not a regular event, I have stayed on a couch in the conference room /unused office room a couple dozen times over the ten year span of my previous job. Generally this was due to me being too tired to deal with the 1 hour commute and too cheap to take a taxi (most of that before Uber existing). Among the reasons not to do it too often was absence of a shower (it had been promised a few times, never delivered). Had there been an option of a really cheap and nearby motel, I would have been a frequent customer - but I never had been able to find one that would feel safe and clean.

Old 11-16-2020, 05:19 AM

35,084 posts, read 17,043,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
College all-nighters didn't count. Those didn't work so great anyway in terms of productivity.
Do thirteen minute naps at work count?

Old 11-16-2020, 10:44 AM

8,080 posts, read 7,451,105 times
Wow, I've never worked at a company big enough to have employees sleeping in their offices.

I can imagine getting stuck in a blizzard and having to hunker down at the office, but to me that would just be poor planning.

Old 11-16-2020, 03:00 PM

565 posts, read 472,761 times
I will occasionally go into an unused conference room, tip a chair over backwards and create an improvised pillow. Catch a snooze during my lunch break. I've been doing this for over 25 years now. No over-nighters.

Old 11-16-2020, 07:07 PM

1,066 posts, read 767,560 times
Years ago we brought in a temp to help during an exceptionally busy time. She used to nap on her lunch hour back in a back office, on the carpet underneath a table.

Same office, just across the hallway, one of the land managers "fell asleep" at his desk. Nobody realized it for what it really was. Turned out he had had a massive coronary, died with his head on his desk.

Old 11-16-2020, 07:33 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,960,350 times
I worked night shift for several years in a vehicle.

Yes, once or twice.

Per week.

Old 11-16-2020, 07:56 PM

22,233 posts, read 19,245,773 times
the only time i slept at work was during a huge sudden snow storm in an area that rarely got snow. There were several hotels within walking distance, all of which filled up quickly. Since it was a cardiac specialty hospital, it was common to have people sleeping in the lobby (family members of patient undergoing cardiac surgery). So we were allowed to sleep there. I only did this for one night. It was simply not safe to be on the roads. One other time a snow storm hit, and a co-worker who lived nearby let me stay at their place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment