Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2023, 10:47 AM

6,463 posts, read 7,805,795 times

Advertisements

Depends on the department but many of our depts are moving the other way and are remaining 100% remote indefinitely. That will save the org a good deal of money due to less need for physical office space. Matter of fact, our org set up a specific dept responsible for getting staff the equipment needed to work remotely (laptops, monitors, docking stations, PC camera's and other accesories, even office chairs).

Some depts are doing hoteling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2023, 12:49 PM

35,102 posts, read 31,358,877 times
I've been at least 90% remote since 2020.

I started a new government job in January. I've been in maybe five times since then. There has bee some required site support for specific products my team owns, but other than that, not much. I'll have to go in Monday to get a computer repaired - it's the second time the computer has done it.

There are times when in-person is helpful, but 90% of the time, I don't have need to be there. I'm in IT.

Old 03-23-2023, 03:22 PM

775 posts, read 1,050,594 times
We started going back to the office mid-February. The requirement is 2 days a pay period (so 2 days every two weeks). Its between us and our supervisor what day or days we come in. Most of the time I plan to come in one day a week, but occasionally I'll go two days in a row.

Old 03-23-2023, 03:26 PM

3,328 posts, read 2,275,729 times
I never went home.

My remote days are history (different position) and working remotely is not an option in my current role.

I'm fine here in my office and it's a good situation, but I do miss that fabulous down-the-hall-turn-right commute.

Old 03-23-2023, 05:10 PM

1,063 posts, read 912,831 times
"Has anyone else been called back into the office recently?"

my wife has,
but it was her choice
in order to get her "certification"
with an attendance bonus plus pay raise.

right now, it is a three-week stint.
she does not know what is next.

Old 03-23-2023, 05:20 PM

21,923 posts, read 13,004,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Has anyone else been called back into the office recently?

At my current employer, we have been back in the office since early 2022 and were able to do 2-3 days at home and the other days in the office. Then they said we had to be back in the office 3 days a week last fall. The rumor mill is now saying that they will ask people to return 4 days a week.
We were recalled 100%, all staff, full-time, no exceptions or compromises, April 1, 2021. I wasn't even allowed to use my personal leave time to be in the office less than full-time. And the rest of the story...

I retired because I needed to be at home part-time.

It's amazing to me that everyone else I know is still either full-time remote or doing just 1-2 days in office two years later!

Old 03-23-2023, 07:53 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,197,833 times
I work for a large state-wide government agency and we were not forced to go back to the office after Covid, though some have chosen to go in sporadically if there is a need to be on-site. We've been given free choice to work where we like as long as we stay in the state (with a few exceptions for personal reasons). I'm permanently wfh, no longer doing the 1.5 to 2-hour commute/day that I did for many years. I still have an office on the campus, but haven't seen it for 2 years!

I could never do that kind of commute again. No way, no how. I feel for all the folks being forced to return to the office.

Old 03-23-2023, 10:21 PM

838 posts, read 2,526,714 times
At a big bank in IT, having worked from home 100% since March 2020, we started coming back to the office 1 day a week about 6 months ago. It's nice to be in the office and see teammates, but most of us operate in silos and not much collaboration is happening. To come to the office a single day ends up costing about $30-40 out of pocket when adding up lunch/coffee/gas. I am definitely not as productive in the office compared to at home.

Pre-pandemic we were 3 days in the office a week, but not sure where things are headed.

Old 03-24-2023, 07:26 AM

15,804 posts, read 20,545,286 times
I've been back in office a full 5 days for 2 years now. No mandate. Folks just trickled back in.

We can WFH as needed, so i usually do 1 day every 2 weeks. That's all I need. We do have other emploees who WFH in a hybrid format. One of my direct reports is 2 days in office, 3 at home.

Old 03-24-2023, 07:32 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,090,876 times
It was fun while it lasted, but there never was a serious chance that employers would permanently embrace a WFH strategy.

For a period of time, workers ran the roost. As we get back to an "employer's" market, people will be happy to have a job and will be glad to schlep into the office each day.

No way am i going to have space for 25,000 employees and have a few thousand in the office. Just common sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment