Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2023, 08:40 AM

55 posts, read 30,084 times

Advertisements

My company (IT field) has mostly remote workers in several countries. They have been shutting down office space to save money and have nearly everyone work remote. I've been fully remote for over a decade. It works for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2023, 09:25 PM

1,529 posts, read 1,188,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Make no mistake: the back-to-the-office push is coming from middle management who was revealed to be pretty useless during the pandemic when there were no captive warm bodies to micromanage with unnecessary oversight, meetings, and "team building" exercises.

Absolutely. My company is so top and middle-heavy, it's ridiculous.

Old 03-26-2023, 01:37 AM

4,043 posts, read 2,716,720 times
Permanent WFH now. When Covid hit, I was able to supply upper management with the numbers as to how much they would save by closing the rented office space, so that was that. The others in the office were 100% in on WFH.

Old 03-26-2023, 09:52 AM

47,008 posts, read 26,056,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
No way am i going to have space for 25,000 employees and have a few thousand in the office. Just common sense.
If you can run the place using, say, 20% of your office space - that's savings waiting to happen.

Part of the push to end WFH in the public debate is from people who are heavily invested in business property and who stand to lose billions.

Old 03-26-2023, 02:42 PM

6,456 posts, read 9,831,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
If you can run the place using, say, 20% of your office space - that's savings waiting to happen.

Part of the push to end WFH in the public debate is from people who are heavily invested in business property and who stand to lose billions.
Another part is the industry built around those businesses. Restaraunts, bars, parking, etc are all losing money with wfh.

Old 03-27-2023, 10:59 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,725,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
What about at smaller companies, though? In many cases, you do actually work with your co-workers if you are on-site.
I think it makes more sense at smaller companies but at big companies not much sense. Today I was on a Zoom call with two of my coworkers who sit near me and a few people in California. The next call was with some vendors in India. All of that could have been done at home. The only benefit I see of being in the office is a bit of small talk during working hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
Another part is the industry built around those businesses. Restaraunts, bars, parking, etc are all losing money with wfh.
Good riddance. With the increased cost of everything, I rarely if ever go out to eat lunch anymore at work.

Old 03-27-2023, 11:53 AM

6,514 posts, read 7,555,349 times
My company is national and I used to report to the local office. It seems like my old team who is local is only requiring new hires since 2022 to work from the office, anyone who was already employed during the transition to home from the office during the pandemic can still work from home full time if they so desire.

Within the same company, my new team of 10 is spread out all over the country so we don't have a home base. But I do go to the local office once or twice a week to get out of the house. I don't work with anyone at that office, but there's plenty of room and private hotel offices have nice views and are nice and quiet. I will usually go in after 9AM when traffic is lighter so it only takes me 20 minutes to drive in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
We've been "encouraged" to be in the office 2 or 3 days a week, but it's not really enforced. Often if I need to get focused work done, I'll go into the office because there's usually only a couple of people there and it can be less distracting than my own house. So much for all of that in office collaboration.
Same here, I don't go into the office to collaborate with anyone. I go in because the wife and kids are at home and can be very distracting even with closed doors. Even if I am home alone, house chores/projects distract me from work so it is better for me to leave the house a few times a week.

Old 03-27-2023, 11:56 AM

47,008 posts, read 26,056,438 times
Quote:
This is true, but for some reason I don't see them as having a whole lot of political pull. The big landlords - they can get WSJ and Business Insider to post articles describing the blissful nature of the commute ("liminal time") and the necessity of water cooler talk for happiness & prosperity.

Old 03-27-2023, 04:16 PM

1,540 posts, read 1,486,905 times
Quote:
They will need to pivot then. They're not owed anything.

Old 03-27-2023, 07:52 PM

1,076 posts, read 561,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post

Too bad for them. Not all investments can be winners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment