Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2023, 08:31 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,324,775 times

Advertisements

Return to the office

And the fun begins again: https://slate.com/human-interest/202...=pocket-newtab

LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2023, 11:59 AM

376 posts, read 321,331 times
Great read! I'm sure we all have our own stories of Kitchen Wars. I've got a few of my own, some of which are funny. Thanks for the laugh.

Old 03-30-2023, 01:11 PM

2,454 posts, read 3,219,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
If it were really a serious problem, wouldn't those businesses move to the suburbs? Since when do businesses keep their shops in a place they know will lose money?
Kind of hard to move parking...

Old 03-30-2023, 02:35 PM

6,590 posts, read 4,982,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
LOL, you mean the "team-building" exercises? The most awful thing was him constantly hanging around, sticking his head in our doors, and stalking the halls; also the enforced family-style potlucks with him at the head of the table like he was the dad of all of us (attendance was mandatory).

I actually would've been more than happy to return to the office full-time, even though it really wasn't necessary, had I not been needed at home at that particular time. That's the irony of the whole thing!
I never looked at it that way! "Dad of us"

I had a boss that did that but the final straw was "let's hold hands and say grace" are you kidding me?! Really put a spell of weirdness on the lunch. Someone must've said something as we were never asked to say grace again.

Old 04-05-2023, 02:26 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,716,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOrdinaryCitizen View Post
Return to the office

And the fun begins again: https://slate.com/human-interest/202...=pocket-newtab

LOL
That's why I don't even bother to use the fridges in my office. People leave their rotting and old food in there and move around food. I've never had mine stolen though.

I just bring a lunch box and toss an ice pack in there and it's fine until lunch time.

Old 04-05-2023, 06:10 PM

24,590 posts, read 10,896,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
That's why I don't even bother to use the fridges in my office. People leave their rotting and old food in there and move around food. I've never had mine stolen though.

I just bring a lunch box and toss an ice pack in there and it's fine until lunch time.
No problem. I put a curled up rattler in a brown paper bag and stashed it in the work freezer with my name on it. We were going to the taxidermist after work. No more stolen lunches!

Last time I worked brick and mortar those who left their stuff in the fridge found it on their work spaces on Monday morning. The fridge fairy was the department manager.

Old 07-12-2023, 02:59 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,716,278 times
Well it's official. As of August 1 we will be required to return to the office 4 days a week. Pretty crappy of them to do it right during the middle of summer when kids are out of school. Now parents have to scramble to rearrange childcare.

Even worse, our remote day must remain the same and we aren't allowed to switch it if we are sick or have an appointment. So let's say my remote day is Friday and I'm sick on Monday, I'm not allowed to say "I'm feeling well enough to work but not come into the office, so I'll work remotely today and come in Friday".

This announcement is probably the most insulting and micro-managing memo I've ever received from an employer.

Guess I should start preparing my CV.

Old 07-12-2023, 06:43 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,888,449 times
Quote:
Well it's official. As of August 1 we will be required to return to the office 4 days a week. Pretty crappy of them to do it right during the middle of summer when kids are out of school. Now parents have to scramble to rearrange childcare.

Even worse, our remote day must remain the same and we aren't allowed to switch it if we are sick or have an appointment. So let's say my remote day is Friday and I'm sick on Monday, I'm not allowed to say "I'm feeling well enough to work but not come into the office, so I'll work remotely today and come in Friday".

This announcement is probably the most insulting and micro-managing memo I've ever received from an employer.

Ridiculous...

4 days is completely unnecessary.

As I mentioned in another thread I am actually fine with 2 days a week if it cuts down on miscommunications and streamlines work better for co-located teams. But arbitrary requirements irrespective of where your collaborators are shows me you don't care about losing the best and brightest. Especially mandating FOUR days which is above average and NOT competitive compared to other employers.

Old 07-15-2023, 09:52 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,596,590 times
Quote:

Rearrange childcare? Remote work is not supposed to be used as a replacement for childcare. Though some people do it anyway. And who knows, maybe people taking care of kids while on the clock were the reason they pulled everyone back.

Those who want to have remote work should advocate for doing it responsibly, not as a means to try to take time back from your employer undetected.

Old 07-15-2023, 10:46 AM

16,560 posts, read 10,643,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Rearrange childcare? Remote work is not supposed to be used as a replacement for childcare. Though some people do it anyway. And who knows, maybe people taking care of kids while on the clock were the reason they pulled everyone back.

Those who want to have remote work should advocate for doing it responsibly, not as a means to try to take time back from your employer undetected.
You're not a parent, I take it? "Childcare" could mean infants (in which case I agree with what you've said) but it could also mean tweens; children who are too young to be left alone all day, but are old enough to occupy themselves for solid chunks of time. Previously, two-income parents of such children would have to line up a bunch of summer camps. But with work from home, the kids can stay home (thus saving parents a ton of money) and play in the yard (or, let's be honest here, sit around playing video games) and the parent is home for when they're needed, like to run them to a friend's house or something.

Now, with having to return to the office, such parents are suddenly going to have to arrange to find some camps at the last minute. Good luck with that! Waiting just one more month, until school starts back up, would have been far less disruptive. It's obvious to me that whoever instituted the OP's return to work policy does not have children and has absolutely no conception of what modern parenting is like. If I were the OP, I'd be looking for another job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment