Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2023, 07:36 PM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangchin213 View Post
HAHAHAHA!!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME???!!

I'm paid to put up with these ****s for 40 hours a week.

When I leave a job, it's mostly because I hate the people. Otherwise, I'd still be working there.

I don't break bread with people I detest unless I'm getting paid for it.
Sad way to go through life…
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2023, 07:01 AM

13,130 posts, read 21,001,609 times
Quote:

When I leave a job, it's mostly because I hate the people. Otherwise, I'd still be working there.

Now I understand. Based on your attitude, this is a strange thing for you because nobody wanted you around them so they never invited you to an event. You have no experience in how the social interaction between former and current employees and employers work and that make it a strange thing. Believe us, former employees are common place at these events if the organizers want them to attend, but they may also have their little black-list of those they hope never get's invited or get wind of the event.

Old 10-29-2023, 07:08 AM

4,865 posts, read 2,674,972 times
you are either in the wrong line of work or you are just a curmudgeon..the people you work with are your 'work family' whether you like it or not..8 hours a day..make the best of it..I worked on the railroad for 30 years..some of those people are my best friends..

Old 10-29-2023, 07:31 AM

2,452 posts, read 1,684,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Yep. They were teachers so they weren't necessarily there to mingle with former co-workers but to get a free meal.
Yes rich people do like free stuff.

Old 10-29-2023, 07:44 AM

45,397 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
Yes rich people do like free stuff.
We had a County Commissioner here who went to so many events where he'd get fed for free even he eventually started to joke about it. He'd even go to ones where his presence wasn't even needed or wasn't even concerning his area.

An example: the local municipalities would have quarterly meetings between the Towns, seven or eight of us, to discuss common interests, legislative initiatives, etc. and we'd usually have a meal. That Commssioner would show up even to those and nothing concerning any of the Counties was being discussed. In fact, the goals of the Towns and Counties often diverged.

Old 10-29-2023, 07:49 AM

16,279 posts, read 10,418,527 times
Quote:

What a strange thing to write. Laughing at other posters, in all caps, because you had a miserable experience at work?

Old 10-29-2023, 08:10 AM

12,847 posts, read 9,060,155 times
It was certainly more common in the past. Many places I worked had annual luncheons or events where previous employees were invited back. It was great for them to see how things had changed and to socialize with and great for us, at the time, younger employees to ask questions and understand why things were done the way they were. Those guys had a lot of knowledge that wasn't found in books or checklists.

Today it seems that knowledge and experience isn't appreciated..

Old 10-29-2023, 08:42 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:

Often the people who retired in the past couple of years will come to the holiday party or the summer cookout to check in. You don't have to be best friends with your coworkers, but I don't know that there were any former colleagues that I actively despised, even if they weren't my favorite people.

Old 10-29-2023, 09:15 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,988,690 times
Most people quit crappy managers and people. They don't quit the company or the jobs. Very true. All it takes is just 1-3 people to completely destroy am operation or even an entire company. Ive seen it firsthand multiple times. I would want to hang out with probably 95 percent of the people I've ever worked with in corporate america. Many are just rotten to the core

Old 10-29-2023, 01:42 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
Quote:

What a sad life. I feel sorry for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment