Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2023, 01:26 PM

143 posts, read 85,607 times

Advertisements

It's always kind of surprised me when an old coworker who retired or moved on to another job shows up to lunch or a party after work.

I just don't get it. Why would they waste the time and gas? When I leave a job, I'm done. Besides contacting someone for a reference somewhere down the line, I pretty much forget about everyone I worked with as soon as I leave a job.

Do these people confuse work people for friends or what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2023, 01:29 PM

22,602 posts, read 47,707,443 times
Maybe they were invited.
My husband has been invited back for things.

Old 10-28-2023, 02:43 PM

12,109 posts, read 23,296,566 times
OP, believe it or not, some people actually make friends at work and enjoy seeing them once in a while after they retire. Why is that is too difficult a concept for you to grasp?

Old 10-28-2023, 02:56 PM

23,320 posts, read 18,890,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Maybe they were invited.
My husband has been invited back for things.
This. Former co-workers have occasionally forwarded workplace event announcements to me, especially something celebrating a major milestone of another colleague (retirement etc.). Doesn't mean I'm obligated to attend. It gives me the option to acknowledge their milestone in some other way if I chose to.

Last edited by Parnassia; 10-28-2023 at 03:39 PM..

Old 10-28-2023, 02:58 PM

23,320 posts, read 18,890,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
OP, believe it or not, some people actually make friends at work and enjoy seeing them once in a while after they retire. Why is that is too difficult a concept for you to grasp?
This. Many of my more long term friendships started because we happened to meet on the job. We had things in common other than spending 8 hours at the same place M-F. Just because I no longer work there doesn't mean those friendships must end! I still keep in touch with one or two from jobs I held ages ago.

As for workplace friendships, just like most people, most of mine remained very casual acquaintances. Nothing wrong with that. Every once in a while, one developed further. Nothing wrong with that either. Who's keeping score anyway? For some weird reason some people here love to trot out their "never allow co-workers to become friends" pet theory time and again. IMHO this isn't all or nothing, black or white, so the debate is a pointless waste of energy. Personally, whether I happened to meet a tried and true friend at work, at the grocery store, online, or over the backyard fence doesn't really matter. I'm happy to have them!

Last edited by Parnassia; 10-28-2023 at 04:01 PM..

Old 10-28-2023, 03:13 PM

1,892 posts, read 2,535,798 times
I've seen it happen sometimes. Why not? I personally wouldn't do it but that doesn't mean others feel the same. I see nothing wrong with it. Just because they're your coworkers, or former coworkers, doesn't take away their humanity. Nothing wrong with showing up just to catch up or say hello to old coworkers.

Old 10-28-2023, 03:14 PM

45,439 posts, read 60,638,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wangchin213 View Post
It's always kind of surprised me when an old coworker who retired or moved on to another job shows up to lunch or a party after work.

I just don't get it. Why would they waste the time and gas? When I leave a job, I'm done. Besides contacting someone for a reference somewhere down the line, I pretty much forget about everyone I worked with as soon as I leave a job.

Do these people confuse work people for friends or what?
Yep. They were teachers so they weren't necessarily there to mingle with former co-workers but to get a free meal.

Old 10-28-2023, 05:03 PM

13,131 posts, read 21,016,446 times
If this was an employer sponsored work event, usually the employer sets the ground rules for who currently outside the company can attend. Unless you're privy to the workings in that area of the company, for all you know they could have been invited from the top to come. Our retirees are often invited to social events I sponsor as they are company events', and their input and presence is welcome. Same may apply to former employees. I hold no ill will to a a former employee who left for whatever reasons they did - Afterall, how do you think I got the current employees? I hired them away from other companies. It's the nature of business and executives understand that.

Now, if this was a plain old social event with and by workers, but not sponsored by the company, you need to be whining about this to the organizers. Odds are they made the invite open to others but did not fee the need to consult with you or seek your specific permission on attendees. These things happen especially with after hour social events.

Old 10-28-2023, 07:27 PM

143 posts, read 85,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
HAHAHAHA!!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME???!!

I'm paid to put up with these ****s for 40 hours a week.

When I leave a job, it's mostly because I hate the people. Otherwise, I'd still be working there.

I don't break bread with people I detest unless I'm getting paid for it.

Old 10-28-2023, 07:31 PM

3,025 posts, read 2,243,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wangchin213 View Post
HAHAHAHA!!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME???!!

I'm paid to put up with these ****s for 40 hours a week.

When I leave a job, it's mostly because I hate the people. Otherwise, I'd still be working there.

I don't break bread with people I detest unless I'm getting paid for it.
Well, that's your experience. We have folks retire after 30+ years that regularly come back for happy hour, the holiday party, etc. So, not everyone hates their coworkers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment