Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2023, 05:07 PM

5,037 posts, read 7,243,404 times

Advertisements

I've seen it many, many times and I liked seeing the coworkers who left. It's nice to catch up and relive all the work madness.
I never left a job because of my coworkers-I left because of management.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2023, 07:18 PM

30,395 posts, read 52,006,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
Sounds like it goes both ways considering you make it sound like you do this quite often.
Methinks the common thread is.......

OP.

Old 11-01-2023, 05:59 AM

6,593 posts, read 11,309,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wangchin213 View Post
HAHAHAHA!!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME???!!

I'm paid to put up with these ****s for 40 hours a week.

When I leave a job, it's mostly because I hate the people. Otherwise, I'd still be working there.

I don't break bread with people I detest unless I'm getting paid for it.

If you look up "consensus bias", it redirects you to this thread....

Old 11-01-2023, 07:09 AM

4,156 posts, read 3,075,395 times
The OP and I come from very different environments. When Water & Wastewater employees go on vacation, it's not unusual for us to stop in and visit the local Water & Sewage plants. As far as I know, we're the only ones who do that. In fact, we had a young woman who worked at the Disney World sewage plant stop in with her grandparents for a tour. I am looking forward to the annual Christmas party. It's been 6 years since I retired. Some of the people I used to know have moved on, so I don't stop in as much as I used to.

Old 11-01-2023, 07:12 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,642 posts, read 81,386,567 times
Yes, and every time that has happened, it was the same kind of event: retirement party.

When someone has worked with someone else for many years and retires, they often come back to celebrate when a former co-worker retires. Most recently that happened last spring when my boss retired, and two of her former retired direct reports showed up at the party. It was good to see them!

Old 11-01-2023, 07:50 AM

3,234 posts, read 1,613,143 times
My previous company has an “Officers Reunion” party every year. I live about 100 miles away now and have not attended one since I retired, but many do go.

Old 11-01-2023, 08:42 AM

4,038 posts, read 1,888,716 times
Yikes - someone sounds bitter.

If you keep a job for a while - esp. a long while - your co-workers ARE your "family" and "friends."

You spend time with them outside of work. You share common stories and sometimes vacations.

And when there's a "work party" - the previous employee doesn't hear "WORK party" - just "PARTY." And they go.

Very simple.

Old 11-01-2023, 09:15 AM

6,593 posts, read 11,309,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post

If you keep a job for a while - esp. a long while - your co-workers ARE your "family" and "friends."

You spend time with them outside of work. You share common stories and sometimes vacations.

And when there's a "work party" - the previous employee doesn't hear "WORK party" - just "PARTY." And they go.

Very simple.
Agreed. And I'll add to the bolded - I've yet to have worked at a place for more than 5 years. Nor am I retired. But not only have I been to a former employer's events. I've also joined a friend (and former colleague) at their current work event and I've never worked there. In these cases, there were certainly other connections there (I know the management team or they were a former vendor, etc.).

It just comes down to who you know and the type of relationship you have.

On the flip side, there are also former employers who's events I would never consider going. And I'm sure there are some that I would never be invited to.

Old 11-01-2023, 09:18 AM

146 posts, read 87,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post

Very simple.
No. Coworkers are minor acquaintances.

How long have you been in the workforce? You seem very naive.

Old 11-01-2023, 09:26 AM

45,501 posts, read 60,734,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wangchin213 View Post
No. Coworkers are minor acquaintances.

How long have you been in the workforce? You seem very naive.
You're not too good with the "soft skills" piece are you?

Going to work parties, although I'll grant that many are large pains in the ass, is one way employees are sorted and categorized for promotion, or not.

Also don't kid yourself, many former employees, especially retirees, still have a lot of throw-weight in many companies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment