Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2023, 09:33 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
Yikes - someone sounds bitter.

If you keep a job for a while - esp. a long while - your co-workers ARE your "family" and "friends."

You spend time with them outside of work. You share common stories and sometimes vacations.

And when there's a "work party" - the previous employee doesn't hear "WORK party" - just "PARTY." And they go.

Very simple.
Agreed!
Methinks the OP hasn't been invited to these parties, hence the bitterness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2023, 09:36 AM

48,531 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Because they are friends and it is a great chance to catch up? I've left jobs, not because I hated the, but for other opportunities and such. I don't think I've EVER left a job because I hated the people.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-01-2023, 09:56 AM

142 posts, read 84,910 times
Okay, for the people who think their coworkers are their friends:

1. Have you ever overheard one of these smiley "friends" badmouth you to another worker or worse, a manager, when they think you are out of earshot and then pretend they are your buddy when sitting next you? I have.

2. When one of these "friends" who you talked to every day leaves the company or you leave the company, ever notice that the "friendship" pretty much stops immediately?

When I first started working, I believed that I had friends in the workplace. A couple of backstabbings and the realization that none of these people actually cared about me changed my mindset about work friends.

Old 11-01-2023, 10:07 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,987,383 times
Co-workers/management aren't your friend. They're all backstabbing snakes and will steal a coin from your corpse if given the chance. I wouldn't trust anyone in corporate america and what they say even if their tongue was notarized. Real "Friends" and friendships are generally only made when you're a child when there is no transaction of money and BS corporate competition going on. And even that can go wayward. But generally kids are simple and that age isn't all about "Stabbing someone in the back to move up the ladder".

You want real friends, you would have needed to make them in school or on the playground or in the neighborhood when you were a small child. Grownups will generally just LIE to you. Kids are far more honest

Old 11-01-2023, 10:15 AM

Soooooo.....

I once had a non-coworker friend stab me in the back, so NONE of my friends are actually friends?

Old 11-01-2023, 10:16 AM

4,022 posts, read 1,877,686 times
Co-workers/management aren't your friend.

Wow. So I guess my wedding party was just there to backstab me. I mean, the folks in the wedding - you know, those folks I became friends with over the years? Now their groomsmen and such?

What exactly did they get out of backstabbing me in that particular situation?

I guess 20 years of pro-sporting events together was just a convenient way for them to...what? Sit next to someone they can't stand, while paying their own way at all times?

How 'bout those weekends on the wine trails ? Those were all a gimmick? A way to abuse me...somehow...

They must be playing the long - lonnnnnnnnnng - long - game - because whatever it is they're going for - they must super duper suck at it.

Some of you gotta just look in the mirror. If you're not making friends - it's you. It is. Accept it and move on.

Old 11-01-2023, 10:18 AM

I'm just thinking about how many of my co-workers from current and past jobs showed up at my husband's funeral, and how many from his work showed up also.

Old 11-01-2023, 10:42 AM

2,036 posts, read 990,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Co-workers/management aren't your friend. They're all backstabbing snakes and will steal a coin from your corpse if given the chance. I wouldn't trust anyone in corporate america and what they say even if their tongue was notarized. Real "Friends" and friendships are generally only made when you're a child when there is no transaction of money and BS corporate competition going on. And even that can go wayward. But generally kids are simple and that age isn't all about "Stabbing someone in the back to move up the ladder".

You want real friends, you would have needed to make them in school or on the playground or in the neighborhood when you were a small child. Grownups will generally just LIE to you. Kids are far more honest
Sorry this happened to you.

It's far, far from universal.

Old 11-01-2023, 10:45 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wangchin213 View Post
1. Have you ever overheard one of these smiley "friends" badmouth you to another worker or worse, a manager, when they think you are out of earshot and then pretend they are your buddy when sitting next you? I have.
Then they were never really your work friend. Even when you're friendly with people at work, you still are there to do a job, and you still have to be able to communicate effectively and sometimes have difficult conversations without taking things personally.

Quote:
2. When one of these "friends" who you talked to every day leaves the company or you leave the company, ever notice that the "friendship" pretty much stops immediately?
Situational friendships at work aren't all that unusual. Sometimes you meet people on the job who become part of your circle for life, and sometimes you wish them well and never interact again (except maybe through social media)

Old 11-01-2023, 11:16 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Well yeah, how do you think we got rich?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment