Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where do you car camp and why?
24-hour truck stop 2 28.57%
Primitive campsite with a dummy tent 2 28.57%
Hospital 1 14.29%
24-hour gym 0 0%
Walmart 0 0%
Cracker Barrel 2 28.57%
Street 0 0%
Friend's or relative's driveway 0 0%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2024, 09:29 AM

3,263 posts, read 1,742,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post

One guy with a tarp over his camping bed, with a site full of camp equipment and fishing gear does not read "homeless."

I think the OP is not getting what she is looking for because she is calling sleeping in parking lots, "camping".
The line between true "Car camping" and "sleeping in a car" is very much getting blurred here.

Tomato, Potato. Similar, yet completely different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2024, 09:38 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,049,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
People who actually car camp, which is "sleeping in your car" WHEREVER, know that it is referred to as car camping. Those who don't... Again, I'm not sure why they're here unless it's just to poke and jeer.
For my entire life I've used the phrase "car camping" to describe staying overnight outside in close proximity to a vehicle. The choice of sleeping in a tent, a vehicle, or just on a ground cloth is merely a detail.

In contrast, "backpacking" means staying overnight after walking a long distance, typically miles, carrying everything on one's back. Again, whether or not a tent is being used is a detail.

It's not just a couple of us here who think of "car camping" in this way. Consider this article on the REI website:

Quote:
Car camping with family or friends is a summer pastime for many of us. Whether the campground itself is the main attraction or it's simply your base camp for nearby activities, this article will help you find the right camping tent—your home away from home.
https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-adv...tro-to-camping

Because of your choice of words, you are going to have a lot of people who are confused by your poll. It took me a little while to understand the premise.

Perhaps it's a generational thing. I've been camping/hiking/etc for 45 years, and nobody I've ever interacted with in person thinks of "car camping" in the way you've described it. Ultimately it just comes down to semantics, but if you continue to use a common phrase in a manner that's foreign to a large percentage of the population you will be frustrated with some of the comments you receive. It's your choice.

Last edited by hikernut; 04-04-2024 at 10:18 AM..

Old 04-04-2024, 10:09 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,049,080 times
Thanks for the conversation. I did learn that we should always bring a tent with us, even if we plan to sleep in our vehicle. I'm not going to bother asking about the rules for every place we stay, though. If we get hassled we'll have a tent to use.

Old 04-04-2024, 10:17 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,947,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
For my entire life I've used the phrase "car camping" to describe staying overnight outside in close proximity to a vehicle. The choice of sleeping in a tent, a vehicle, or just on a ground cloth is merely a detail.
I agree; a "mere detail" people here, especially the non-car campers, seem weirdly fixated on.

Old 04-04-2024, 12:00 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,650,289 times
Quote:
And this is allowable CAR camping; not tent camping? Do you ASK if you can sleep in your car when you make the reservation, or just go for it once you arrive?

Sounds nice but, again, I know from experience (I frequent our own with my gov't discount) that even state parks are miles and miles off the beaten path and, if you're in the middle of a road trip, you probably won't want to make that detour just for eight hours of sleep you could get right off the interstate.

Still, I'll look into it. Apparently, KOA does allow it (they say so on their website), and they're not usually too far out in the wilderness, so thanks for that tip, whoever mentioned it.
We do that all the time! A few years we travelled to the Modesto CA region and peeled off Interstate 80 at Elko NV and found an awesome campsite in a canyon. Takes me 5 minutes to set up our tent, self inflating pads and had quick dinner and hit the rack. Fresh air, yotes crying- that's a good nights sleep. Got up, did a short walk with the dog then hit the road.

In my opinion I'd much rather take a little time to enjoy things along my journey. A rest stop or parking lot just doesn't do it for us.

Old 04-04-2024, 05:36 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,947,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
In my opinion I'd much rather take a little time to enjoy things along my journey. A rest stop or parking lot just doesn't do it for us.
Okay. I also visit state and national parks when I have the time to enjoy them. Big fan! Most are a good hour off the interstate, however, and if I'm intent on getting to my destination and just looking to sleep, the beauty of the surroundings - or lack thereof - doesn't really come into play. My eyes will be closed anyway.

Old 04-04-2024, 09:41 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,650,289 times
Quote:
Okay. I also visit state and national parks when I have the time to enjoy them. Big fan! Most are a good hour off the interstate, however, and if I'm intent on getting to my destination and just looking to sleep, the beauty of the surroundings - or lack thereof - doesn't really come into play. My eyes will be closed anyway.
That’s fine. I’ve done that too. Not often but I’ve done it. I just don’t call it ‘camping’.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camp...0accommodation.

Old 04-04-2024, 10:33 PM

2,194 posts, read 1,138,312 times
Quote:
I agree; a "mere detail" people here, especially the non-car campers, seem weirdly fixated on.
The point is that it's not a "mere detail." "Car camping" has existed as a term for a very long time in the camping community, and the definitions provided by hikernut fit well. The group that you're trying to be a part of has simply appropriated the term for their own use because it's "easy." However: a) it already had a definition, so it wasn't available to be appropriated, and b) as a term it very poorly defines the goal; camping does not equal just sleeping. (The "camping" part is the most important part of the term.)

As to sleeping in my car at any point: I live and generally camp in the SE. It gets too stuffy in the car. And if you crack the windows to alleviate that, you'll be dealing with mosquitos all night.

Last edited by djsuperfly; 04-04-2024 at 10:56 PM..

Old 04-05-2024, 01:15 PM

1,022 posts, read 738,398 times
Wooosh ! !

Old 04-05-2024, 06:20 PM

2,055 posts, read 996,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post

Because of your choice of words, you are going to have a lot of people who are confused by your poll. It took me a little while to understand the premise.
Ditto this. I think I already posted here, but when I saw the poll options it made me think of someone who's homeless and is sleeping in their car, not 'camping' as we know it. I prefer the safety of car camping out in the wilderness, to keep food in the vehicle and not inside or near your tent. Whenever I go car camping I always position the tent door directly toward the vehicle in case a wild creature comes sniffing around in the middle of the night, so I can make a run for it. That's the plan anyway, it's never happened.

This just reminded me of an incident where I once pitched a tent at a commercial hot springs place, it was pretty remote. I had paid for the spot and there was nobody else there...Tuesday night or something. Later that night after the office had closed I saw flashlight beams in my tent and heard men's voices. I peeked out and there was a truck nearby just idling, spotlighting my car and tent for a minute, then they drove off. Not long after that I heard a chainsaw running off in the distance and people's voices that sounded like there was definitely a drunken party going on nearby. It was after midnight at this point. I freaked out and abandoned the tent, got in my car, locked the doors, key in ignition, got my pistol ready, and barely slept that night. LOL. Sounds like a movie script but it really happened!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing