Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2021, 08:12 PM

16 posts, read 25,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I'm going to guess that it is French. The Victorians got pretty elaborate, but that is beyond what they would normally do.

Do you own it? Or are you hoping to buy it?
Hi oregonwoodsmoke (Sounds lovely! Envious you get to smell wood smoke in Oregon! Juniper is my favorite woodsmoke...),

Interesting that your guess is that it’s French. Which period would you place it into? I’ve seen some pretty ornate French antique beds for sure, and this one has a lot going on with all that flare. So, your guess is super helpful. The “Austrian” designation in the sales listing info threw me for a loop, though I’ve seen beautiful Viennese sculptures and art, just not much furniture.

Sadly, I do not own it; I am helping friends who recently purchased it to get some ideas about its history and of what sorts of decor they might pair with it (though I am definitely not a decorator or interior designer, I’m trying to come up with some ideas that don’t outright clash).

Would love to hear anything else that strikes you about it, as I’m not well versed in antiques. Just an admirer. So every bit helps. Thanks for posting your thoughts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2021, 10:19 AM

273 posts, read 654,832 times
@Myrna, I don't know how you deciphered my user name (Porsche spelled backwards) but yes I have restored about 20 cars including a few Porsches. I got out of cars about 10 years ago to focus on antiques and collectables. Unfortunately due to the rules here I cannot link to my work. I can though, through a PM.

Old 06-09-2021, 11:22 AM

3,041 posts, read 7,930,791 times
I am 88 and thru the years collected many antiques and clocks,have nice Cartwright bowl and pitcher sitting on East Lake dresser,example.Pitcher not marked.
People today have no interest in Antiques nor appreciate the past,dead horse.Even have letters from my fathers brother when he was in the Klondike,my father was born ib 1883.I also have a 1850 letter with wax seal which will be discarded when we pass.
I just hate to think what will happen when we pass.
We had for along time most everything displayed in a 2200 sq ft home and had to move due to health and now in 900 sq ft home with most in boxes,family has no interest in any of it.

Old 06-17-2021, 05:15 AM

16 posts, read 25,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
I am 88 and thru the years collected many antiques and clocks,have nice Cartwright bowl and pitcher sitting on East Lake dresser,example.Pitcher not marked.
People today have no interest in Antiques nor appreciate the past,dead horse.Even have letters from my fathers brother when he was in the Klondike,my father was born ib 1883.I also have a 1850 letter with wax seal which will be discarded when we pass.
I just hate to think what will happen when we pass.
We had for along time most everything displayed in a 2200 sq ft home and had to move due to health and now in 900 sq ft home with most in boxes,family has no interest in any of it.
Hi DanBev,

Sorry your family isn’t interested right now. I’m from a family that had very few heirlooms to pass on. Hopefully, some of your family will soon realize how meaningful these cherished items of yours really are.

I can assure you that some people today — even those from recent generations — do have a huge interest in antiques. But the time to find them, the funds to afford them, and the skill to restore them are another story, sadly.

The notion of your many boxes of undisplayed, much loved antiques and family mementos, as you describe, sends my imagination in a zillion different directions at once. I love poring over things from the past, even old photographs of strangers, and getting a sense for the stories they might hold.

I would love to read old family letters, for instance, and I used to have a collection of vintage postcards from unknown-to-me people of long ago who were writing to their loved ones from their travels around the world. I found their notes, observations, and handwriting fascinating. I love seeing postcard pictures or renderings of world locations as they used to look. And I’m here on this forum now trying to learn about the style and time period of a gorgeous antique bed.

So please don’t think your treasured possessions will not be appreciated in the future, even by people wholly unrelated to you. Because they certainly will be.

Old 06-17-2021, 06:20 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,930,791 times
Thank you for your interest,Myrna Cubed,we are in our 80's and I am 88,last alive in family,wife has dementia.
When we moved from FL to CT because of health and to be near daughter,who has no interest in our collection.
I gave some of the Klondike letters to a friend in FL.The letters portray the hardsuips,from sewing himself into animal skins to survive the winter,scurvy etc.these letters went to my father,his brother.He survived the Klondike only to be killed in auto accident in 1918.My fathers first wife died in 1917 from the Spanish flue.
He did send letters to his wife portraying an o'k life.
We have many antque clocks,quarter antique slot machine etc,
The people today like there fancy home,shiny cars and children like there computer or walking around with fancy phones texting all day.

Old 06-17-2021, 07:38 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
I imagine a museum in Alaska would dearly love to have you Klondike letters.

But you are correct about younger gens not wanting family pieces.

Old 06-17-2021, 09:25 PM

16,068 posts, read 10,726,642 times
Does anyone know anything about furniture made by the Carrom Company?
I have two matching chairs produced by the Carrom Company in Ludington, MI. They are in something of a Craftsman style with a lot of exposed hardwood (arms, ladderback, frame, etc.). Back cushions are removable and the seat also lifts out of the frame. There is a Carrom Company label on each. That company was known for making "Carrom" game boards -- we had one growing up. They apparently made a short term incursion into the furniture business. These chairs are super sturdy. They were in a hospital waiting room for some time and spent years outdoors on a front porch. I'd like to get them refinished with new uphostlery. They have been used every day for close to 85 years or so.

Old 09-16-2021, 02:58 PM

34 posts, read 24,477 times
Hi eveyone, Got this from a friend who sold her home. I haven't got a clue about how old it is or who manufactured it....but I do love it! Any info would be appreciated! Willows

Old 09-16-2021, 05:14 PM

10,887 posts, read 7,370,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willows909 View Post
Hi eveyone, Got this from a friend who sold her home. I haven't got a clue about how old it is or who manufactured it....but I do love it! Any info would be appreciated! Willows
We need a little more information...

Old 10-08-2021, 11:26 PM

2,140 posts, read 361,502 times
This piece has been driving me crazy - I’ve trying to learn about it for years.

I cannot find anything like it. I think it’s a Victorian double tilt top fire screen tea tray - wrought iron? With porcelain (hand painted panels/slate background. I have looked for years to figure out anything about this. I inherited it from my grandmother b.1913 and she inherited it, so it’s at least Victorian. Eastlake-ish? I can’t find a stamp or signature and I cannot find anything like it. That my grandma used it as a firescreen doesn’t mean that is what it was made for.

. It’s an interesting piece that I thought would be fun to share here.

I wish this category was more active! I love trying to ID things. There are higher resolution pics in my album under my user name: paperwing. Just the first two pictures. I don’t know how to make a new album. I’m sorry!
Attached Thumbnails
What is it? Who made it? Lets ID antiques and collectibles for each other.-a813808f-36ff-4a11-8e09-0087c6125dbc.jpeg  

Last edited by paperwing; 10-08-2021 at 11:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques