Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2021, 11:15 AM

10,887 posts, read 7,370,074 times

Advertisements

Nice piece! I would call it chinoiserie, a romantic style combining motifs from Asia, India, and other exotic places. It originated in the 18th century, and enjoyed varying levels of popularity for a century. It more or less went out of fashion around 1830.

I don't know what it is, I like what you call it. Maybe add "and bootscraper" at the end, just for fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2023, 06:51 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,930,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrna Cubeb View Post
Hi DanBev,

Sorry your family isn’t interested right now. I’m from a family that had very few heirlooms to pass on. Hopefully, some of your family will soon realize how meaningful these cherished items of yours really are.

I can assure you that some people today — even those from recent generations — do have a huge interest in antiques. But the time to find them, the funds to afford them, and the skill to restore them are another story, sadly.

The notion of your many boxes of undisplayed, much loved antiques and family mementos, as you describe, sends my imagination in a zillion different directions at once. I love poring over things from the past, even old photographs of strangers, and getting a sense for the stories they might hold.

I would love to read old family letters, for instance, and I used to have a collection of vintage postcards from unknown-to-me people of long ago who were writing to their loved ones from their travels around the world. I found their notes, observations, and handwriting fascinating. I love seeing postcard pictures or renderings of world locations as they used to look. And I’m here on this forum now trying to learn about the style and time period of a gorgeous antique bed.

So please don’t think your treasured possessions will not be appreciated in the future, even by people wholly unrelated to you. Because they certainly will be.
I am not well but thank you for your answer.I am replying to an old post.no longer 88,I am 89 near 90.
July 29th 2022 my wife of 67 years passed,so now I have told my daughter whom I have put my house in trust to,to take,sell everything for any price and pocket the money,money will not help me,
Kind of sad to see probably 10 antique clocks and other varieties and other items,two silverware sets from wedding presents,one 16 never used no interest.
As for family I am the end of line and on my wife's side one sister and then my daughter and husband will be alone.
I am crippled up since December 15,2021 from Moderma booster shot,both legs,yesterday had EMG test at nueropthy center,I have moderate to severe Femerol nerve damage,the doctor said I will have to live with the pain as well,my daughter has been taking care of me,yesterday took a med pill he prescribed and this morning at 10;30 she woke me for appointment for income tax,I felt like zombie barely able to stand or walk.
Here is a good one,no taxes owed for state or Fed,which I knew but since my wife's death is part of it,I had it done by tax party,now because off loss of my wife,I was told that $787 interest was going to cost me $1886 in taxes next tear as single taxpayer,I told him to comfirm it and I will put more money in my locked case.

Old 03-03-2023, 09:26 AM

333 posts, read 180,999 times
Small (pewter?) medallion found near Ironwood, Michigan.

Unlikely of great value I know, but I find the design unique and it seems to reference Native American style images.

Tried doing a google image search without any success.

Anyone know what these images might represent?

Thank You.

Attached Thumbnails
What is it? Who made it? Lets ID antiques and collectibles for each other.-medallion-copy.jpg  

Old 03-03-2023, 09:43 AM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Ford View Post

Unlikely of great value I know, but I find the design unique and it seems to reference Native American style images.

Thank You.

It almost looks like a button but I can't tell how big that is.

Old 03-03-2023, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
It almost looks like a button but I can't tell how big that is.
About 1 1/2" in diameter.

Thanks, but not a button, it has a clasp ring with a chain link at the top that was cropped out of the photo, so appears to be the pendant that hung from a chain.

Images in center appear to be enamel (?) under a glass lens.

Old 03-03-2023, 12:52 PM

7,024 posts, read 4,887,277 times
If anyone has an old kit dollhouse, I may be able to ID that.

Old 03-03-2023, 06:20 PM

10,887 posts, read 7,370,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Ford View Post

Thank You.

look like a phoenix, bear, eagle, and dolphins.
more like sports teams than tribal

Old 03-03-2023, 08:47 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Looks like it could be a silver medallion or pendant.
Also please take picture of the back side.

Inside - maybe spiritual symbols of water, earth, air, and fire?
Water - a shell and the dolphins,
Air - bird and feathers
Earth - a bear in a forest
Fire - a phoenix and sun?
The triangle symbols definitely correspond with the images.

https://www.outofstress.com/spiritual-triangle-symbols/
(second row)

Last edited by elnina; 03-03-2023 at 09:11 PM..

Old 03-04-2023, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Looks like it could be a silver medallion or pendant.
Also please take picture of the back side.

Inside - maybe spiritual symbols of water, earth, air, and fire?
Water - a shell and the dolphins,
Air - bird and feathers
Earth - a bear in a forest
Fire - a phoenix and sun?
The triangle symbols definitely correspond with the images.

https://www.outofstress.com/spiritual-triangle-symbols/
(second row)

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to elnina again."

Great info as I was stuck trying to figure out what sports team is called the Phoenixes

Back side, I believe the smudging on the front and back surfaces is dirt and not tarnish.

Attached Thumbnails
What is it? Who made it? Lets ID antiques and collectibles for each other.-medallion-back-copy.jpg  

Old 03-04-2023, 10:40 AM

9,432 posts, read 5,197,344 times
Testing. I know this is an old watch fob but I don't believe it's gold and there are no markings on it at all.
Etsy shows some similar items and describes them as Victorian. Belonged to my father. Has a story behind it.

Oh, I guess I should ask my question. Anyone know about this item or have anything similar? I think it's brass. When I sold some jewelry (including the 10 K gold anchor stick pin) the jeweler said it would be worth about $400 maybe. I wasn't going to sell this piece but I also thought it would be worth more and I thought he would know more about it than he appeared to.

What is it? Who made it? Lets ID antiques and collectibles for each other.-watch-chain.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques