Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2019, 10:37 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,960,879 times

Advertisements

Look at that mark. They produced porcelain all over the OHIO VALLEY. A multitude of companies. You can google this stuff. It was made in West Virginia. The W V does stand for West Virginia.
And......the MARK can be found on p.329, Lois Lerner's Lerner's Encyclopedia of U.S. MARKS on Pottery, Porcelain, and Clay, Collector Books, 1988.

Man, some of these internet forums.

I remember one time I went through several sites, and a few hundred posts, most from people who couldn't get what I had cheap, before one person told me exactly who made what I had. It was not antique related.

Anyway I found a knowledgeable seller, and they told me what the mark was, and that they collected Ohio Valley Pottery, and China.

Now value is another story. I am not giving the piece away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2019, 02:10 PM

1 posts, read 3,317 times
I need help finding out what I have in this coin or medal that I recovered from an old property we purchased. Found some very cool old stuff after doing demolition. I did some research and it seems like its from the 1800s.

I don't know how to post picture's to show you guy's. It's a really cool piece. Its bronze, its very solid and heavy. Can someone help me ppst the picture's? Id really like to know what I have and what it's worth.

Thanks

Old 10-12-2019, 09:43 PM

^
You need to learn how to post pics. Nobody is going to be able to tell you much. I use postimage.org

If you have a digital camera you should be able to post pics. IT'S EASY.

Here are some random pics from the net.. https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...w=1280&bih=657

Old 10-22-2019, 05:57 PM

1 posts, read 3,208 times
Default A little help?

Does anyone know anything about brass art from India?

Old 10-24-2019, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigrob1986 View Post
Does anyone know anything about brass art from India?
Unless it's really unusual it can be found in just about any thrift store anytime of day.

Need a pic.

Old 10-24-2019, 02:00 PM

16,068 posts, read 10,726,642 times
I have two large craftsmanesque wooden frame chairs made by the Carrom Company of Ludington Michigan. That company is known for the Carrom table top game boards (sometimes Crokinole) but they ventured out into furniture for a while. The company had no information on the chairs but they both have a label on the bottom. I know only that they were once in a private hospital waiting room way back in the 1940s or before. They sat on a front porch for several years and are very sturdy. Has anyone encountered Carrom furniture?

Old 10-24-2019, 07:17 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,513 posts, read 6,323,285 times
Are your chairs in these catalogs?

https://archive.org/details/GuestRoo...up5000ByCarrom

https://archive.org/details/Beautifu...niture/page/n1

Old 10-24-2019, 10:08 PM

16,068 posts, read 10,726,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia_Rose View Post
Thanks for those. Some of those chairs show similar detail but mine are taller and have vertical dowel-like struts beneath the wooden arms. They are ladder-back with removable back cushions and internal spring seats. My chairs seem to be mimicking early Stickley chairs but seem to be a later era. We always called them throne chairs because they were tall and imposing.

Old 11-19-2019, 01:21 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,341,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB86 View Post
If you have an item you purchase for yourself or for re selling lets help each other ID the item, pricing, manufacture etc.
Probably not an antique but can anyone tell me what this tool is? I only assume it is a "tool" due to its appearance but possibly it is for wood work?

The thing is made of heavy cast metal, is about 8-1/4" in length and has steel rollers at the end. There is, what appears to be, an owner-inscribed telephone number on it from area code 308.

Last edited by High_Plains_Retired; 01-11-2021 at 11:39 AM..

Old 11-19-2019, 03:54 PM

10,018 posts, read 8,621,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Probably not an antique but can anyone tell me what this tool is? I only assume it is a "tool" due to its appearance but possibly it is for wood work?

The thing is made of heavy cast metal, is about 8-1/4" in length and has steel rollers at the end. There is, what appears to be, an owner-inscribed telephone number on it from area code 308.

Looks like a grinding wheel dresser.
We had one in shop class that looked like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques