Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2018, 03:21 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I don't have a picture, but I know it's Bruce Fox, an aluminum platter shaped like a peacock. I only found one similar picture online, and no info comes up with the number on the back.

Is there a secret Bruce Fox database somewhere?
I can't even give you the number, the platter is in storage 2500 miles from here.

My platter features a peacock at the top, with a shallow oval well in each tail feather eye. Looks like a deviled egg platter for really big eggs.
The lower half of the platter is a single well.

The only similar picture I found was just the top half, and sold on eBay for about $100.

Any theories?
Is this the question? If there's a database? What do you want to know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2018, 09:22 PM

10,887 posts, read 7,370,074 times
I guess my real question is why can't I find more info on it? Like the year it was made, and why are there two similar platters, and why aren't there more pix of this design showing up?

And thank you to the person who let me know the large wells probably make it an oyster plate. Something I didn't know until I asked here.

Old 10-01-2018, 10:03 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I guess my real question is why can't I find more info on it? Like the year it was made, and why are there two similar platters, and why aren't there more pix of this design showing up?
How much do you love your Bruce Fox platter? Are you willing to spend $180 to buy some 1968 Bruce Fox catalogs on eBay?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/361901532002

Basically, your Bruce Fox platter is not an antique, but a potential collectible... it doesn't seem to be a super desirable collectible right now. And what I mean by "not a super desirable collectible" is that there aren't very many other people on this planet right now that care about collecting and owning Bruce Fox products.

Not every item ever made has the potential to be desirable in the collectors market. Also the popularity of a collectible is not fixed. Some things gain in popularity as other collectibles lose popularity. It all depends on the type of people collecting them. Right now, some collectibles are falling in popularity because the people collecting them are getting older and not buying anymore of them, and the younger generation doesn't want to collect them. AND it's also dependent on what type of item and the current interior decorating styles. Many younger people are buying IKEA furniture because it's cheap. And Mid-Century Modern collectibles look good with IKEA furniture... and as a side effect, antique furniture isn't selling well because it doesn't look good with IKEA furniture.

Next, about the lack of information on your platter, you can research it yourself by hunting down and buying their old factory catalogs like that lot on eBay. HOWEVER, not every Bruce Fox catalog will have information on YOUR platter as every manufacturing company usually offered different designs for sale every year.

And no manufacturing company cares about having a database of all the products they have ever made. Their sole intent is to sell a lot of whatever it is they are making NOW and they sell to either distributors or retail outlets. They don't care about helping out the actual end buyer, let alone that person who owns it now some 50+ years later.

I did find some information on the Bruce Fox company. The company was founded in 1937 and in 1975 their giftware line was sold to another company. But items like yours weren't made until after World War II. So your platter was made sometime between 1945-75.

And you aren't able to find pictures on the internet about your platter because no one on eBay or Etsy or other selling site as sold one of your platters so far.

Otherwise, with collectibles like Roseville Pottery, because the collector base is so huge, it was worth taking the old factory catalogs and making hard cover reprints of them.

Quote:
And thank you to the person who let me know the large wells probably make it an oyster plate. Something I didn't know until I asked here.
IMO it wouldn't be an oyster plate given the age of your platter. The vast majority of oyster plates are antique and were made over 100 years ago. Any newer ones are more made in the last 20 years as reproductions due to the extremely high prices that antique oyster plates were bringing.

Otherwise, it would really help YOU out if you could dig out that platter and post pictures of it.

Old 10-01-2018, 03:24 PM

10,887 posts, read 7,370,074 times
Thank you, that was helpful and educational. I did think Bruce Fox was popular, but maybe that's just because I love it. Maybe I should stock up before the millennials realize that BF would bring their clunky MidCentury furniture to life.

Old 10-02-2018, 04:34 PM
miu

BTW even there was a Bruce Fox database, there is no set value on anything, any collectible or antique. The value is only what a willing buyer will pay a willing seller... and every transaction is unique.

Old 10-11-2018, 04:22 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,960,879 times
Anybody know who made this? Sorry I may have to get a better shot of the bottom up. It'a about 6" X 5". It's not a heavy piece either. Somebody who passed on it thought it may have been Peruvian.

Old 10-11-2018, 05:19 PM
miu

American studio pottery. Hand thrown on a potters wheel. Not too old. Probably made in the last twenty years.

The problem with collecting studio pottery is that there is no good directory of artist's marks. So it's nearly impossible to research these pieces and find out who made them.

Old 10-11-2018, 06:05 PM

Cheap, and neat. Didn't think it was old. $4. I just want to know. Somebody might. Didn't buy it as a flip.

Old 11-21-2018, 06:35 PM

What is this mark?

Old 02-12-2019, 09:20 AM

50,334 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I’ll just bump this up by saying there is a fun show on Netflix now called, Clash of the Collectibles. Two British antiques dealers compete against each other in Australia, to see who can get the best finds. I’m enjoying seeing different antique shops and seeing the things they consider valuable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques