Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2021, 09:33 AM

14 posts, read 22,809 times

Advertisements

It is usually a good idea to ask questions yet some dentists dislike this. I am not a good body language reader. I am lucky that I don't have to deal with any more crowns as I don't 'have any plans to have repair work unless it is absolutely vital. Also, it may not be as bad as you think. Give it time. Hopefully you won't have issues with the new crowns you got. Maybe you will be lucky this time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2021, 03:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,035 times
Hi all-
I too have been dealing with issues related to a crown on a root canalled tooth. I have been doing allergy testing and will be tested for zirconia soon, but I am wondering if any of you has come up with positive results to allergens used in dental cement and what specific ingredients those were? I have the exact same issue a lot of you have--bad taste, aches/soreness, burning sensation, etc. It is a lower right molar--seems a lot of us also have issues w/ molar crowns in particular. Thanks for your help and this thread--thought I was going crazy. Luckily I have a great allergist and he says he's seen such an increase in sensitivities and allergies to dental materials--we are not imagining it!

Old 03-30-2021, 09:56 AM

6,343 posts, read 2,898,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvm1989 View Post
Hi all-
I too have been dealing with issues related to a crown on a root canalled tooth. I have been doing allergy testing and will be tested for zirconia soon, but I am wondering if any of you has come up with positive results to allergens used in dental cement and what specific ingredients those were? I have the exact same issue a lot of you have--bad taste, aches/soreness, burning sensation, etc. It is a lower right molar--seems a lot of us also have issues w/ molar crowns in particular. Thanks for your help and this thread--thought I was going crazy. Luckily I have a great allergist and he says he's seen such an increase in sensitivities and allergies to dental materials--we are not imagining it!
I have begun to notice my Bruxzir bridge is starting to give me a reaction after a year. My old PFM still feel fine and I've had them since 2007. The allergist I consulted years ago just told me to stick with what I know works. I may have to search again for a dentist who still used old PFM technology. It's not easy to find a dentist who will use those old materials.

Old 03-30-2021, 10:42 AM

3,127 posts, read 5,053,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
I have begun to notice my Bruxzir bridge is starting to give me a reaction after a year. My old PFM still feel fine and I've had them since 2007. The allergist I consulted years ago just told me to stick with what I know works. I may have to search again for a dentist who still used old PFM technology. It's not easy to find a dentist who will use those old materials.

I am sorry to hear this. You had given my hope about that type of crown. What sort of reaction are you seeing?

Old 03-30-2021, 09:13 PM

6,343 posts, read 2,898,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
I am sorry to hear this. You had given my hope about that type of crown. What sort of reaction are you seeing?
Same as with emax. It is starting to taste chalky and irritate my tongue. With emax it kept getting worse until it started burning. It's possible that they put a veneer of a lithium ceramic on the bridge for aesthetics. I've seen labs say that. I told the dentist that I didn't want any lithium but I've told dentists that before and they ignore me because they don't really believe you can have an adverse reaction. My old pfm gold to porcelain crowns are still fine. There must be someplace I can get a bridge made that way.

Old 11-27-2023, 01:24 AM

14 posts, read 22,809 times
I got a note of this latest comment stuff. I have not gone back and read over what I posted before. I did have a zirconium crown. It was funny feeling like afterward. I asked about allergic possibility to something related to it. I found out I was allergic to the glue used on the crown, from an allergy doctor. I told my dentist about that yet she dismissed it and ultimately banned me as a patient two days before I was scheduled to have a teeth cleaning done. She dropped me as I would not do what she wanted to do with another crown. She did not care that I had proof that I was allergic to something. She also did not like to be questioned by a dumb person like me (I am not dumb and the people here are not either, yet her ego was really strong). It took a long time for the glue allergy to go away and my mouth to feel back to normal. This is off topic, yet it reminds me of smoking. Years ago there were those who believed that cigarettes caused illnesses like cancer yet there was no proof. Those people who were right before there were scientific proof are now dead. No one wanted to believe that such could cause an illness. Simliar to the crown material and allergy. If they were to even consider there is some potential for allergy, they would have to rebelieve all they have been dealing with ovefr time, and they would have to admit they were wrong, and some can't do that.

I hope your mouth gets better. Yourself knows your body. I don't have an answer for yourself. For me, down the road I will likely have false teeth eventually. I won't do bridges or any more crowns. I just go to the dentist to have teeth cleaned only, no polish or whitener added and if I have a tooth ache which is rare, I do clove oil on a cotton ball and put where it is hurting in the mouth for a little while and reapply if needed and that has taken care of any past aches in the past. I don't do shots in the mouth only nitric gas and some dentists refuse to work on me because of that, yet they will clean my teeth so far. Good luck to all here on any dental work you may have.

Old 11-27-2023, 07:38 AM

I used Biocomp Labs for my latest allergy testing before getting a crown.

I sent them the list of materials my dentist was planning to use and the MSDSs that my dentist provided prior to ordering the report. The covered most of the items but added the ones they didn't before I ordered the report.

https://biocomplabs.com/

When I got the report back I had one item that had aluminum oxide but the report said it was OK. However I had the dentist substitute that item for one that I had no reaction to. I have a strong allergy to aluminum so wasn't comfortable, even though they said aluminum oxide is inert, having it in my mouth. That is the one thing I don't like about the report. I think they need to call out the aluminum oxide items as possibly not acceptable to those with aluminum allergies.

Look for coupon codes. Right now they have a cyber Monday one for BIOCM23 for $50 off.

Also you have to get the current MSDSs from your dentist. Finding them for the product online can end up with a EU data sheet which often has safer ingredients. Or an older MSDS which has different ingredients.

Old 11-27-2023, 08:55 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
I have three zirconium crowns. The dentist went with those after I broke the porcelain crowns that had been there (I think I have a gorilla bite or something) as he said the zirconium crowns are stronger. I have had them for around 5 years now, and have had no
problems with them.

Old 12-01-2023, 04:46 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
Thanks for this thread. I had an emax bridge that gave me an allergic reaction. Had it removed and a metal to porcelain bridge put in with metal that I tested not allergic to. Symptoms went away with temps and new metal fused to porcelain bridge. Now need a new crown and zirconia is suggested. I am worried about an allergic reaction so would rather do porcelain fused to metal but the metal I used was discontinued. I caution anyone against emax. It is very hard to remove. Needs to be ground out not slotted and screw driver twisted out like the metal fused to porcelain.

How is the procedure to remove the zirconia?

If anyone needs dental material allergy testing I had testing done at two places.

https://biocomplabs.com/

Welcome to Clifford Consulting & Research Online - North American English version

It has been a while but you can order the tests yourself and then you go to a general medical blood draw testing service to get your blood drawn. I found both reports useful.

The biocomplabs test can be ordered through their web site. The Clifford test you have to order through here.
https://www.betterlabtestsnow.com/pr...ity-screening/

Thanks for all your replies. I'm going to need testing for denture implants, at least on my top. I got my dentures in February, I choke every time I try to wear the top. I haven't tried wearing the bottoms yet. I have friends who it took a year to be able to wear their dentures.

With all the weird med allergies I have, I will not just get an implant done because with my luck, I'll be allergic. My dentist said she can have me tested but I haven't done it yet. I'm going to have to suck it up and go back because not having teeth is making my face cave in.

I'm not a person that gets depressed, but coming to terms with losing all of my teeth before 60, has hit me pretty hard. I still think to myself "I have to go brush my teeth" instead of "I have to go brush my gums".

Old 12-01-2023, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Thanks for all your replies. I'm going to need testing for denture implants, at least on my top. I got my dentures in February, I choke every time I try to wear the top. I haven't tried wearing the bottoms yet. I have friends who it took a year to be able to wear their dentures.

With all the weird med allergies I have, I will not just get an implant done because with my luck, I'll be allergic. My dentist said she can have me tested but I haven't done it yet. I'm going to have to suck it up and go back because not having teeth is making my face cave in.

I'm not a person that gets depressed, but coming to terms with losing all of my teeth before 60, has hit me pretty hard. I still think to myself "I have to go brush my teeth" instead of "I have to go brush my gums".

It is so hard to find a dentist to work with. The crown I just got, Sept. '23 is on a tooth that I thought cracked in 2019. My dentist at the time balked at discussing the materials with me. So I had to find another. Couldn't find a material sensitive dentist so tried another who didn't have good hygiene practices. Tried a third who didn't have a good sense of where his hands were and he pinched my lips against my teeth so left him. Then tried a lady who seemed OK but didn't see the problem. Each time I was waiting the 6 mths between exams.

Finally tried this one who seemed competent, didn't balk when I asked about materials and even agreed to swap out the aluminum oxide one for another on my list. It was also the most painless crown installation I ever had so I guess competence goes with being aware of materials and willingness to work with patients. If a dentist balks at providing the material list then move on quickly. It feels bad to do so but in the end it is the best thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health