Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2023, 07:31 PM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
It is so hard to find a dentist to work with. The crown I just got, Sept. '23 is on a tooth that I thought cracked in 2019. My dentist at the time balked at discussing the materials with me. So I had to find another. Couldn't find a material sensitive dentist so tried another who didn't have good hygiene practices. Tried a third who didn't have a good sense of where his hands were and he pinched my lips against my teeth so left him. Then tried a lady who seemed OK but didn't see the problem. Each time I was waiting the 6 mths between exams.

Finally tried this one who seemed competent, didn't balk when I asked about materials and even agreed to swap out the aluminum oxide one for another on my list. It was also the most painless crown installation I ever had so I guess competence goes with being aware of materials and willingness to work with patients. If a dentist balks at providing the material list then move on quickly. It feels bad to do so but in the end it is the best thing.

My dad had a gas/service station. One of the customers was a dentist who I ended up using when I was around 20 in the mid eighties. When we moved to South Jersey in 93, I tried a local dentist until he refused to allow a parent to go in the room with kids. My daughter was about 5 or 6. He wasn't sure what he was supposed to do in her mouth, ended up filling a loose baby tooth. I refused to pay what insurance didn't. We then started driving back up to North Jersey, which was over an hour. We'd make a day of it with the dentist, then to see my dad at work. The day or so after my dad passed in 86, he put a cap on, told me he was not charging me, he wanted me to not have issues at my dad's viewing.

When we moved an hour South 15 years ago, I had to find a new dentist, it was just too far to drive to my old one. I thought I found a decent place until another cap fell out, he refused to see me because I didn't have the checkbook with me even though we had always paid our bill in the two years we saw him. My adult son also went there, he's spent a lot of money there, will be spending more next week.

I ended up finding a woman dentist who isn't far from the house we sold and the rental we're in now. It's two women from Europe, both still have a pretty heavy accent. My hub switched to them too. My son ended up staying at the other place.

I don't see the owner, I see the other dentist in the practice. I was surprised when she told me she can have the allergy testing done on me. I'm sure that when I finally make an appointment that she will take car of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2023, 10:50 AM

6,336 posts, read 2,889,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachelle430 View Post
Robert

I had 7 zirconia crowns placed on my lower teeth. One is a three crown bridge and the other are four front bottom teeth. They fit well, but since getting these crowns I getting this burning acid sensation all the time as well . It keeps me up at night. The worst part is that it is causing eye strain. I have not heard anyone mention that symptom. I have to palm my eyes after a few hours every day. My activities are suddenly limited. The only reason I have not had these teeth removed is that my dentist say that the teeth under the bridge are weak root canalled teeth and he could fracture a tooth in the removal process. Implants are not an option, Im allergic to many of the metals in implants.

I was throughly tested for allergies to all kinds of dental material. There is this lab in CO. that test thousands of dental materials with one blood test. I was negative for the exact crowns my dentist used. However, there were some brands of zirconia that I was highly reactive to. Also found out I am highly reactive to lithium which is
what emax crowns are made of.

Not all zirconia is the same, just because you test negative does not mean you are negative to different brands. They put different chemicals in the Zirconia like Yttrium. If you look on line, this substance is pretty toxic in the human body. It causes lung and respiratory and eye irritation. Im not sure, how they justify putting it in the crown material. There is also a small amount of aluminum oxide, for which they claim even if allergic like I am, it should not cause problems in its state.

Bottom line is, you know your own body and you know what is causing your symptoms. You can feel it.
No one really knows better than you. I am having mine removed and replaced with porcelain, despite the test

Just want to mention years ago I had two titanium implants that failed, they literally never took after two months. I was getting headaches, brain fog, depression. The minute they were removed, all my symptoms went away.

I have no doubt the same will happen once I remove the zirconia. I hope that helps, Best of Luck
I remember this:

Dick Van Dyke Traces Mystery Illness to Dental Implants
https://emerginnova.com/dick-van-dyke-mystery-illness/

I've never had any titanium. They also can use zirconium dioxide for the implants instead of titanium. I know I don't have a problem with zirconium dioxide because there is a lot of it in Ivoclar Inline ceramic that is in my old crowns. I still have not found anyone to replace my Bruxzir bridge. It bothers me a lot less than emax or zircon Lava crowns that I had before it.

Old 12-02-2023, 01:44 PM

3,426 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Thanks for all your replies. I'm going to need testing for denture implants, at least on my top. I got my dentures in February, I choke every time I try to wear the top. I haven't tried wearing the bottoms yet. I have friends who it took a year to be able to wear their dentures.

With all the weird med allergies I have, I will not just get an implant done because with my luck, I'll be allergic. My dentist said she can have me tested but I haven't done it yet. I'm going to have to suck it up and go back because not having teeth is making my face cave in.

I'm not a person that gets depressed, but coming to terms with losing all of my teeth before 60, has hit me pretty hard. I still think to myself "I have to go brush my teeth" instead of "I have to go brush my gums".
If your choking, then it's very likely that the plate that sits on your soft (upper) palate is too long and just needs to be shaved shorter a bit. Let your dentist know. Same thing happened when I used to wear a retainer on my upper teeth. Giving the edge a deeper curve solved the problem. I have a very sensitive gag reflex.

My husband had snap-on dentures with 4 implants above and 4 below, when he was still in his early 50's. He now smiles and looks awesome. He had to have around 20 teeth taken out, not a single one was saveable.

Old 12-02-2023, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
I remember this:

Dick Van Dyke Traces Mystery Illness to Dental Implants
https://emerginnova.com/dick-van-dyke-mystery-illness/

I've never had any titanium. They also can use zirconium dioxide for the implants instead of titanium. I know I don't have a problem with zirconium dioxide because there is a lot of it in Ivoclar Inline ceramic that is in my old crowns. I still have not found anyone to replace my Bruxzir bridge. It bothers me a lot less than emax or zircon Lava crowns that I had before it.

Thanks for the link. I remember when he went public, asking for input. What he was describing at the time sounded like my daughters Chiari Malformation headaches. I'm glad someone figured it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
If your choking, then it's very likely that the plate that sits on your soft (upper) palate is too long and just needs to be shaved shorter a bit. Let your dentist know. Same thing happened when I used to wear a retainer on my upper teeth. Giving the edge a deeper curve solved the problem. I have a very sensitive gag reflex.

My husband had snap-on dentures with 4 implants above and 4 below, when he was still in his early 50's. He now smiles and looks awesome. He had to have around 20 teeth taken out, not a single one was saveable.

Yeah, that's part of the issue, the part that covers the palate makes me gag, especially since I'm dealing with bad back pain. I'm hoping that the new doctor I'm seeing can get my pain under control to see if it helps or not. The dentist had already cut it shorter. I'm not sure if there is more she can cut without it affecting the suction.

Glad to hear his snap in dentures have done well. I was going to Penn University dental school for the snap in a year before COVID started. I went to the oral surgery office where they changed the extraction plan. I never saw an instructor. I had a bad feeling about it, so was working up the nerve to go back when COVID hit.

We sold our house a year ago which allowed me to have the money to go to the oral surgeon I trust. I'm debating going back to Penn for the implants. It will be a lot cheaper as they do a sliding scale based on your finances.

Old 12-03-2023, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Thanks for the link. I remember when he went public, asking for input. What he was describing at the time sounded like my daughters Chiari Malformation headaches. I'm glad someone figured it out.

Yeah, that's part of the issue, the part that covers the palate makes me gag, especially since I'm dealing with bad back pain. I'm hoping that the new doctor I'm seeing can get my pain under control to see if it helps or not. The dentist had already cut it shorter. I'm not sure if there is more she can cut without it affecting the suction.

Glad to hear his snap in dentures have done well. I was going to Penn University dental school for the snap in a year before COVID started. I went to the oral surgery office where they changed the extraction plan. I never saw an instructor. I had a bad feeling about it, so was working up the nerve to go back when COVID hit.

We sold our house a year ago which allowed me to have the money to go to the oral surgeon I trust. I'm debating going back to Penn for the implants. It will be a lot cheaper as they do a sliding scale based on your finances.
For comparison, if it helps you at all.

The extraction of 21 teeth, plus a temporary denture to wear IMMEDIATELY after surgery to maintain the structure and shape of the upper and lower jaw.
Multiple visits to trim and re-shape the temporary denture as the bone healed from all that surgery
Four months later, once healing was satisfactory, the implants were implanted, and a new temporary denture to cover the implants and bone while THAT healed. He was able to finally eat solid food again but still no nuts, apples, caramel, anything very crunchy.
Six month after the implants were placed, he was fitted for the snap-on dentures.
Two months after that - he got the dentures and those were trimmed and polished, and adjusted.
Two months after that, a follow-up to tweak sore spots, and adjust the implant posts.

In all, it was around 1.5 years from the date he agreed to get the work done, til it was finished. Total cost around $24,000

Old 12-03-2023, 07:36 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:

The extraction of 21 teeth, plus a temporary denture to wear IMMEDIATELY after surgery to maintain the structure and shape of the upper and lower jaw.
Multiple visits to trim and re-shape the temporary denture as the bone healed from all that surgery
Four months later, once healing was satisfactory, the implants were implanted, and a new temporary denture to cover the implants and bone while THAT healed. He was able to finally eat solid food again but still no nuts, apples, caramel, anything very crunchy.
Six month after the implants were placed, he was fitted for the snap-on dentures.
Two months after that - he got the dentures and those were trimmed and polished, and adjusted.
Two months after that, a follow-up to tweak sore spots, and adjust the implant posts.

In all, it was around 1.5 years from the date he agreed to get the work done, til it was finished. Total cost around $24,000
Thanks for posting that in detail. I am sure it will help a lot of folks who have no idea what is involved or the cost.

Old 12-03-2023, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Thanks for posting that in detail. I am sure it will help a lot of folks who have no idea what is involved or the cost.
It's important to note that not everyone needs that many teeth removed. There are plenty of folks who lost their teeth over time, and maybe have a few bridges that cover the spaces where teeth used to be. But in actuality they only have maybe 10 actual teeth total. The cost is significantly lower when there aren't a lot of teeth to pull. The discomfort and healing time is also significantly reduced.

On the other end, there are folks who have complicated removals. Often if there's an abscess, the surgeon won't touch the patient until they've completed a course of antibiotics. Reason: an untreated abscess + opening a hole in the bone can result in sepsis - and death.

Old 12-04-2023, 06:50 PM

Quote:

The extraction followed by the temporary denture was supposed to be the plan, the oral surgery students decided they wanted to do it in stages, yet I didn't get anything official saying what the new plan was. The dental student who was doing the dentures was not told either. It sounded like I'd show up for the extraction then not have the denture placed if they did top or bottom first. It took me about 45 minutes to drive there, park and walk to the school.

What else I didn't like was the main student doing the dentures never called me to see why I had not been back.

Both my oral surgeon and dentist said that they had better results when you let the mouth heal before doing the dentures so I decided to do it locally which worked out better because I had issues after extraction because my teeth were in such bad shape. A year later, I'm still having issues with my jaw hurting.

I think the school told me $15,000 for the snap in
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health