Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 02:58 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbling View Post
Doesn't bar soap last longer than body wash and is more economical?
Yes, especially when it was lifted from a hotel. . They don't care if you take many extras with you - they see it as advertising.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2018, 06:34 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
Ivory soap. Store brand dandruff shampoo. Don't use shaving cream, just soap - I shave in the shower, with a standard safety razor (double edge blades). My indulgence is a long hot shower especially on a cold morning.

Old 08-06-2018, 07:28 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,053,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZORAC View Post
What are some of the products you frugalist use for your hygiene pratices...or are you a TRUE frugalist and don't use any products and just let NATURE take its course?! Do you guys/gals us deodrant? If so how much and what does it normally run you?

My go to soap is Yardley soap that I purchase from Dollar Tree. There's also a bargain store in my area that I typically get spray on deodrant from for about 1.99...typically old spice or dove.
I've seen Yardley for less than $1 in my local grocery store. Shop around.

Whoever thought up liquid hand soap is a marketing genius. They get much more money out of consumers for the same number of hand washings, by playing up the perceived "Ick" factor of bar soap.

Old 08-06-2018, 07:33 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
I buy huge packs of both Dove and Coast. The cost takes a dive by buying a big pack.

Old 08-06-2018, 10:37 AM

4,992 posts, read 5,290,988 times
We cut out a lot of the soap scum when we switched to liquid soap over bar soap. A Mr.Clean Magic Eraser cleans that up pretty easily so that may not be a problem for some people. I know someone who said she cleaned and dried the shower each time she used it. That's too much commitment to cleaning for me. More power to anyone who doesn't mind.

Bar soap dries my skin more, but that may just have been the type I use. I still take the little soaps from the hotel room. They are great for travel and camping. I donated a bunch a while back. The local thrift store has people who need them.

Old 08-06-2018, 05:55 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,865,329 times
I am not extravagant when it comes to hygiene products, but with sensitive skin, I can't seem to tolerate the cheapest of the cheap products either.

I usually use Suave body wash and deodorant- sometimes other brands if they're on clearance.

Old 08-06-2018, 06:17 PM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,607 posts, read 1,085,674 times
I use Ivory, but looked what hap to it over the past few years!

https://archive.org/search.php?query...20soap%20teoli

Old 08-06-2018, 10:30 PM

844 posts, read 1,443,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I find body wash on clearance fairly frequently. I stock up then. I bought some body wash from the outlet mall for $.75 per bottle a couple months ago with my gift card I was given at the White Elephant Christmas party. I bought some favorite clearance things I usually won't splurge on because of price.

I found about ten bottles of my favorite deodorant on clearance a couple years back and am on the last one. It's the only kind that works for me so I'll pay full price if I don't find a sale.

I use coconut oil for moisturizer unless I find a bargain lotion in a scent I like. I think it was $8 for a huge bottle. It works well and is cheaper than lotion.

If you use coconut oil in the summer, I know your very greasy and uncomfortable.

Old 08-06-2018, 10:35 PM

844 posts, read 1,443,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbling View Post
Doesn't bar soap last longer than body wash and is more economical?

You can strech bodywash...after you use a little bit of it..put water in the bottle and shake it up. It last longer.

Old 08-06-2018, 10:51 PM

3,318 posts, read 1,818,241 times
I have not used deodorant or anti-perspirant for over 40 years as I declined to use aluminum on my body from an early age.
*But I bathe with normal soaps every day and do a quick drench-down when I feel the need, as I live in SoFl.

I do use an anti bacterial body/underarm spray of my own creation and it has served me very well.
I combine maybe 25% Hibiclens with 75% water-alcohol, maybe add a few drops of lemon oil or other essence.
A little spritz in select spots on the hottest days and I am daisy fresh.
The minute I am not 'daisy fresh' see * above.

But I am not a notorious perspirer and have never had significant odor issues.
Whether I'm lucky or smart, I don't know... or care.
FYI, this regimen is exceedingly frugal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living