Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2020, 09:24 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,493,317 times

Advertisements

Hi guys and gals,

We had a thread about turning ON the heat, how about when do you turn it OFF for the season?

February's end is about here, and March can be nasty. Here in Upstate NY, March always has a surprise storm for us, guaranteed. 3 years ago, we had a full 35" fall in less than 16 hours on about March 16, to give you an idea.

So, around the end of March, I begin looking for when to turn off the heat.

April of late has been very cool, and instead of April showers, we have May showers!

But those first WARM days, I shut heat OFF, and throw open the windows to get some fresh air in the house!!!

I'm bipolar and have SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) so I am counting down the days until the end of winter!!! As I get older, the longer winter seems to be, even though the calendar stays the same. Although this year we have 1 extra day of winter, lol as it's leap year.
In Nov I start counting..."only 5 MOS. To go!!""
Now it's "only 5 weeks to go!!"

This was in reality a very MILD winter, though. Mostly 30-40s. Only a few bitter cold or below zero days. Normally jan-feb are cold... That's when a 30° day is actually a"heat wave". Lol.

So, when do you, of when do you start contemplating turning off the heat???

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2020, 09:29 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,772,153 times
We never turn the heat off because we never turned it on. No furnace. One of the benies of living in Hawaii.

But when we lived in Seattle we kept the thermostat the same year-round. But it rarely would trip and go on in the warmer months. If you're cold, you're cold. Doesn't matter what month that happens in, does it?

If we wanted fresh air, we'd go for a walk. We used to walk a lot in Seattle, lots of parks and trails.

Old 02-19-2020, 09:49 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,391,623 times
I turn off my heat about the same time as I plant my first bedding plants.
If the weather is warm before that just reduce the temp to save money.

Old 02-19-2020, 10:03 PM

61,745 posts, read 87,217,162 times
I turn the heater/AC on or off when I FEEL the need for it.
What would be the reason to have a heater or AC if you couldn't use it as you wish?
There are cold days in Summer and warm days in Winter, and I don't care if this is a right season to use my appliance or not - if I feel uncomfortable, I will make use of them.

Just yesterday it was so hot and humid in San Antonio (~80F) so I seriously wanted to turn the AC on and I did - to clear the humidity and cool off the house a bit.
Today is pretty chilly, just 50F and the heater is on because it's set on 68F for Winter.
https://www.actionac.net/ideal-therm...s-infographic/

Old 02-19-2020, 10:44 PM

32,946 posts, read 36,394,363 times
When I stop feeling cold.

Old 02-19-2020, 10:55 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,761,687 times
Never. I keep my thermostat set at about 60. It just comes on whenever it needs to all year round.

If I get chilly, I put on a sweater. I'm convinced I'm healthier because I don't overheat my house.

Old 02-19-2020, 11:25 PM

13,131 posts, read 21,011,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Never. I keep my thermostat set at about 60. It just comes on whenever it needs to all year round.
Same here. I set the temperature and it turns on the hearing or cooling element to maintain the temperature. Now I do have a huge house with multiple HVAC units and zones, but I have found I save more money in the set it and forget it mode than constantly manipulating the temperature in an effort to save a few dollars.

Old 02-20-2020, 05:33 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,200,330 times
We set it for 68 in winter for heating and 80 in summer for air conditioning. We never change it

Old 02-20-2020, 07:54 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,631,555 times
I don't have to turn the heat off or on as I have a smart thermostat and the heat is set(AUTO) at 68° and the a/c @78° So I don't have to touch it unless I want to override the temp occasionally.

Old 02-20-2020, 08:16 AM

7,268 posts, read 5,147,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post

If I get chilly, I put on a sweater. I'm convinced I'm healthier because I don't overheat my house.

Wait 'til you get old with brittle bones. You'll change your tune

We built an earth-berm house. No AC needed-- humid, low 90s summer days and inside temp only gets up to 75. A simple fan &/or dehumidifier helps when needed.....House would stay ~55-58 even in winter without heat. With wood burning boiler system there's a lot of thermal inertia, so turning it on & off would not work well. Early & late in the heating season we just use an electric space heater to supplement comfort in the living room-- a 1000w unit only costs ~a buck-and-a-half to run all day.

Then there's the time honored way: heat yourself, not the whole house. https://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2015...ot-spaces.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living