Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2020, 08:52 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,462,724 times

Advertisements

Ill be cutting the Comcast cable soon. Its awful. Outside of sports there's no reason for it. We have 2 young kids so its Disney and Netflix anyway. Hollywood can't make any good movies anymore either so we never watch HBO. The main cable shows on CBS etc...I dont get it. I see the ads and they just look terrible.

If it were easier to stream sports I think Comcast and Dish would die.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2020, 05:43 PM

652 posts, read 681,416 times
Anyone have Roku? What channels or apps have you installed on it?

Old 03-12-2020, 08:10 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,250,937 times
OP you missed a great pun.

Cord Cutters Untie!

Old 03-14-2020, 10:08 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,177,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RME40 View Post
I have Amazon Prime free because of my cell provider, and I played around with Netflix (cancelled), HBO (cancelled) and Pureflix (cancelled) because no one carried what I wanted.

That's the best thing about streaming: you are telling your tube what you want, instead of dish or cables telling you what to watch.

The foundation of course, is Wi-Fi, and surprisingly AT&T was much cheaper in our new home than the cable company in the apartment. We do have YouTube TV - that fills in the hole for us, and that (and Wi-Fi) is all we pay for.

Old 03-16-2020, 05:48 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,363,780 times
Quote:
On-Demand Streamers:

Netflix - $12.99
Prime Video - $12.99 (for Prime)
Hulu = $5.99
PBS - free ($5/mo donation to PBS station for Passport for full access)
Kanopy - free (sponsored by many local libraries)
Hoopla - free (sponsored by many local libraries)
YouTube
Roku Channel
The Archive
Watch Free Foreign Flix
Foreign Films
Film Noir
Classic Movie Vault
Retro Video Vault

News:

CBS News Live 24/7
ABC News
NBC News
SkyNews (UK)
DW (Germany)
France 24
NHK World Japan

Sports:

ESPN (authenticated by Sling, etc.)
WAC

Music:

Pandora
Prime Music
TuneIn

Live TV Streamers:

Sling Orange + Sports Extra - $40
News: CNN, ABC News Live
Sports: ESPN suite, six regional Pac-12 Networks, SECN/+, ACCN/x, LHN, beinSports
Channels: BBC America, History

Old 03-18-2020, 05:35 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,580,886 times
Quote:
Here is what I'm doing to cut the cable. I use paid services such as Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney Plus and Hulu.

However, there are free streaming websites out there and here is my list:
• hdm.to
• yifymovies.tv
• azm.to
• myflixer.com
• kat.tv
• flixtor.to

How are you guys cutting the cable?
I have a Roku for each tv.

Favorite FREE service channels/apps I use:
• Pluto TV
• MyRetroFlix
• TuneIN (free cable news stations, like MSNBC, CNN, FOXNEWS, and radio shows & lots of podcasts)
• YouTube (regular)
• I have an ANTENNA on ea. tv, so I watch broadcast tv quite a bit. I don't get much, but what I get is choice.

I subscribe to two PAID channels/apps:
• Prime ($12/mo)
• Netflix ($14/mo.)

I subscribed a short while to:
• Acorn TV (British programming...only $5/mo. when subscribe thru Amazon Prime)

The problem I'm running into is DATA. I have a 1T data cap. No problem at all, since my two tvs are older & are 720p. Need a new tv in the LR. All the new tvs are 4K w/HDR. 4k uses triple the data that 720p does. Supposedly that data only gets used if you're watching a 4K program. But High Dynamic Resolution (HDR) uses more data. Supposedly, you can turn off the HDR feature. Eventually, most programming will be 4K, so people will be forced to use a lot of data, whether they want to or not. This will add to the cost of internet.

I have no choice, tho. I'll have to get a 4K tv. With smart features (which I don't want or need). I'm concerned this will mean I'll have to pay more for internet, if not now, then soon. But I don't have a choice. If it uses a lot more data in the future, I may be forced to consider going back to cable.

When my tin foil hat is on, I think that the companies are coming up w/ways to make streaming as expensive as cable. Consider that broadcast tv is being upgraded to 3.0, so broadcast stations can be interactive or whatever. I think that they'll end up charging a fee for those stations, ending FREE broadcast tv. (The 3.0 upgrade is a go-around a law that prevents broadcast stations for charging a fee for their stations.)

Old 03-23-2020, 10:39 AM

492 posts, read 234,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
Ill be cutting the Comcast cable soon. Its awful. Outside of sports there's no reason for it. We have 2 young kids so its Disney and Netflix anyway. Hollywood can't make any good movies anymore either so we never watch HBO. The main cable shows on CBS etc...I dont get it. I see the ads and they just look terrible.

If it were easier to stream sports I think Comcast and Dish would die.
Hollywood can't make anything. Its all junk or a remake of a remake. I cut my cord in 2009. Never looked back. One of the best things I ever did. Read books now.

Old 03-23-2020, 05:14 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,458,184 times
For the laid off people from Coronavirus, there will be a wave of cord cutting since cutting cable TV is one of the easiest things to remove from a budget.

Old 03-24-2020, 06:59 AM

5,114 posts, read 6,090,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
For the laid off people from Coronavirus, there will be a wave of cord cutting since cutting cable TV is one of the easiest things to remove from a budget.

But when you have several (or many) people confined in a limited space having multiple entertainment options may well be considered a necessity. And for many parts of the country the cable company is the only source of high speed internet.

Old 03-26-2020, 01:52 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,970,654 times
www.military-stuff.org. Lots of great war movies..all free, no registration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living