Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2020, 01:54 PM

3,346 posts, read 2,198,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
The ways in which it's better: Mainly that it's FREE
"Anything you get free costs more than it's worth in the end." — Robert Heinlein

You can get a first-line streaming box or stick for well under $40, not counting picking them up used. Rokus and Fire devices never age out, AFAIK; even the oldest models still get fresh firmware loads and a full selection of apps, and work just fine if you don't need newer features like 4K.

I had a number of audience members who had fallen for the college-student fly-by-night "Free TV" boxes... Ten dollar generic Android video boxes with a custom load of things like jailbroke Netflix, ESPN, Kodi etc. that were horribly difficult to use and had a working shelf life of about a month. These folks were a little down on streaming, needless to say.

Anything Comcast or Charter might give away might be "free" but in the end will lose/cost you more than it's worth. Ditto with most low-end smart TVs, which stop getting firmware updates and can't access very many apps in the first place... that "free TV" isn't worth the calories expended to carry it home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2020, 02:55 PM

20,378 posts, read 14,651,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
"Anything you get free costs more than it's worth in the end." — Robert Heinlein

You can get a first-line streaming box or stick for well under $40, not counting picking them up used. Rokus and Fire devices never age out, AFAIK; even the oldest models still get fresh firmware loads and a full selection of apps, and work just fine if you don't need newer features like 4K.

I had a number of audience members who had fallen for the college-student fly-by-night "Free TV" boxes... Ten dollar generic Android video boxes with a custom load of things like jailbroke Netflix, ESPN, Kodi etc. that were horribly difficult to use and had a working shelf life of about a month. These folks were a little down on streaming, needless to say.

Anything Comcast or Charter might give away might be "free" but in the end will lose/cost you more than it's worth. Ditto with most low-end smart TVs, which stop getting firmware updates and can't access very many apps in the first place... that "free TV" isn't worth the calories expended to carry it home.
Explain how it will cost me more.

No seriously.

Comcast will never charge me a penny for it. Granted, you have to be an internet customer of theirs in the first place, and there are likely more cost effective ways to get your internet. I've got my own reasons for wanting the higher speeds. IF I were content with the content available through the free Flex box, I would not have paid for the Roku devices at all (I spent $160 total on 3 of them) and I would not be paying for Sling TV at $35/month either. I'd still have (and pay for) Netflix, Prime, Hulu, and so on.

I would bet that for some cord cutters, that would be adequate. Though for a lot of them, those streaming apps are already available with a DVD or Blueray player or smart TV.

Still. I utterly fail to see how a free thing costs more. Than anything...that is not free. ???

It's not some janky Android box or a Raspberry Pi thrown together by one of my techno-wonk buddies, I paid nothing for it so if it quits working at any time, I can get it replaced free or just use something else, and it's very easy to use. Easier than the Roku, in fact, and the Roku is very easy.

Oh, and I expended no calories carrying it home. They shipped it to me. Also for free.

Nice that you quoted Heinlein, though. Most of my polyamorous friends credit him for being a major proponent in his writings of concepts they love, poly itself and communal living in general. I mean, if that's your thing. I doubt if he was an expert on cable boxes though.

I keep struggling with the advice you're giving, which often seems to run along the lines of "pay more money for the more expensive thing" (in frugal living?) and when someone wants reasons why, you will tell us it's better, but not be able to back that up with any technical specs or reasons. Do you work for Roku? Were you giving "seminars" that were Roku sales pitches? I'm serious, I would like to understand where you're coming from...but I want hard data (like the research I'm sharing, "it can do this, it cannot do that, I know because I've now tested it.") to back up claims. Not philosophical quotes from novelists.

Worth a moment's consideration though, is WHY Comcast would give away a free piece of tech to enable the cord cutters? Because that's really what this does. I can only assume that they are able to gather data on TV viewing habits from it, which perhaps they can't so easily do on Rokus and other gadgets, in the hopes of marketing their paid products more effectively...because they clearly have a clue that they're out of touch with what consumers want, a TON of people are getting rid of cable TV in recent times.

I can't imagine any other reason they would. They don't have a lot of competition for high speed internet in my area, only one other provider, CenturyLink, has anything near the speeds that Comcast offers here.

Old 05-13-2020, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Explain how it will cost me more.
It won't do as much as a Roku or FireTV device.

It won't have as much selection of channels and apps, and what it does have will be subject to Comcast's whims and partnership deals.

The firmware may not be updated frequently enough to keep all functions working. (One of the key faults of 'smart TVs.')

The apps it does have may not be updated frequently enough to work correctly with the services, or allow connection at all. (Again, a common 'cheap streaming device' fault.)

Given very likely that it's the cheapest possible manufacture (as are nearly all 'cable boxes' where unit cost is trumped by a promise to replace them as needed), it may simply not last very long or work very well.

Will this cost you a dime, directly? Nope. Not unless it bursts into flame and ruins your house.

Does something 'free' like this cost you in terms of convenience, selection, a quiet, undisturbed viewing session and the need to have another device to get anything but its offerings? Such things add up.

You noted me as being "down on wifi" — which I am not. I simply have twenty years of experience with internet-driven entertainment gear, and when I finally flop into a chair to just watch something, it's not a time I want to have to stop and reboot wireless routers, figure out signal problems, re-enter SSIDs and passcodes, update firmware... etc. and so forth. Even the best wireless system (at both ends) has 1000% more such faults over time than wired internet, and while I spend all day fixing small glitches on the fly, I don't want to spend my evening doing so or have to fiddle-fart around before the Netflix menu will even show up. So I go wired to my entertainment stack, main workstation and servers... and am happy with modern wifi for everything else. Just not on systems I need to *work* and *work now*.

And most really cheap/free gear ends up being the opposite of that in inconvenience and reliability, even if it's just a crappy, slow, awkward menuing system that "came for free" — and again, the achilles heel of most smart TVs.

I'd rather lose money than the relaxation and low stress of watching TV without technical hassles.

Old 05-13-2020, 04:17 PM

Quote:
It won't do as much as a Roku or FireTV device.

It won't have as much selection of channels and apps, and what it does have will be subject to Comcast's whims and partnership deals.

The firmware may not be updated frequently enough to keep all functions working. (One of the key faults of 'smart TVs.')

The apps it does have may not be updated frequently enough to work correctly with the services, or allow connection at all. (Again, a common 'cheap streaming device' fault.)

Given very likely that it's the cheapest possible manufacture (as are nearly all 'cable boxes' where unit cost is trumped by a promise to replace them as needed), it may simply not last very long or work very well.

Will this cost you a dime, directly? Nope. Not unless it bursts into flame and ruins your house.

Does something 'free' like this cost you in terms of convenience, selection, a quiet, undisturbed viewing session and the need to have another device to get anything but its offerings? Such things add up.

You noted me as being "down on wifi" — which I am not. I simply have twenty years of experience with internet-driven entertainment gear, and when I finally flop into a chair to just watch something, it's not a time I want to have to stop and reboot wireless routers, figure out signal problems, re-enter SSIDs and passcodes, update firmware... etc. and so forth. Even the best wireless system (at both ends) has 1000% more such faults over time than wired internet, and while I spend all day fixing small glitches on the fly, I don't want to spend my evening doing so or have to fiddle-fart around before the Netflix menu will even show up. So I go wired to my entertainment stack, main workstation and servers... and am happy with modern wifi for everything else. Just not on systems I need to *work* and *work now*.

And most really cheap/free gear ends up being the opposite of that in inconvenience and reliability, even if it's just a crappy, slow, awkward menuing system that "came for free" — and again, the achilles heel of most smart TVs.

I'd rather lose money than the relaxation and low stress of watching TV without technical hassles.
Fair enough. I mean, there are folks who would balk hard at my array of standalone nickle & dime streaming services and channels, that will each bill to my credit card separately, even when I spell out that I'm saving nearly $50/month this way...for the simple reason that they want everything they pay for their TV services to "be on one bill." From the cable company. My Mom said that.

I have not experienced any fiddle-farting with my wifi. I work from home, my connection is fast, stable, and reliable. Though in the past I had those kinds of issues. Like 10 years ago.

I did mention that it is inferior to the Roku in terms of the apps it's got, and the fact of how some have to be accessed/billed via Comcast, yes? But if all I wanted was free content, I'd be all over this thing.

And it has a couple of features and things that the Roku doesn't.

But just like when evaluating the various channel packages one could choose from, every person's content needs will differ. I might not have NEEDED anything other than what's on the Flex. I honestly think it will be right for some people. As for needing another device to access other things...OK, but if you were gonna get one anyways, then what did you lose, getting the free thing? I really do not think it's going to randomly burst into flames.

I have not experienced any glitches (besides the oddly useless HDMI input) nor difficulty of use, nor inconvenience.

I just think it's strange to set yourself up like some sort of an expert in here, when rather than spelling out the factual comparisons between things, and letting others decide what works better for them, you're kinda like, "You should do it this way because I say so and I have a background in tech things and regardless if it's more expensive, if I say this is better, it's better. Even if I have never laid eyes on the other thing." You really come off like a salesman trying to push a product.

I mean, if you want to brag about having an awesome set-up, that's cool, but why here? Aren't people in here looking for ways to SAVE MONEY?

And the Comcast cable boxes I've used from them since...oh...2008 or so?...especially the latest tech of the last few years? They have not been glitchy, hard to use, inconvenient junk at ALL. They're really nice, man. It's just that the service is way overpriced. I mean, if your cable and internet provider gave you garbage to work with, I'm sorry, but that hasn't been my experience with them.

It's like somebody coming in asking how best to find a particular movie, preferably for free, and you telling them they shouldn't watch it because you don't like the director and besides this other movie, is your favorite one, and they should watch it instead, even if it costs more, because it's better. Just...what?

Old 05-13-2020, 04:30 PM

20,104 posts, read 9,011,934 times
for TV, I'd do the YouTubeTV....Flat fee $50 a month

https://tv.youtube.com/welcome/

Old 05-13-2020, 05:26 PM

Quote:
I just think it's strange to set yourself up like some sort of an expert in here, when rather than spelling out the factual comparisons between things...
Whatever. I've written hundreds of posts, a number of blogs, national articles and more on the topic and do speak from considerable expertise on the tech, the systems, the providers and the content. I've done so in front of about 6.000 people and counting. I'm not going to dump in several thousand pages of notes every time I make a suggestion. I'm just a C-D avatar: believe, don't believe, argue back in another 2,000 words, whatever.

As for wired v. wifi, if wifi works for you because it's simple, no problem. I have sat straight-faced a number of times while a friend who's a wifi madman who thinks wired networks are one with the steam engine... had to screw around for ten minutes to get a Roku or TV to connect again. Ditto in too many business meetings and presentations and library events and the like while a sweating presenter or IT tech just could not figure out why the system stopped working. I long ago lost patience with such hassles and will spend a weekend running a wired port rather than lose precious hours of relaxation time dealing with them.

But please, please, do it all your own way and think as little of me as you like.

Old 05-14-2020, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Whatever. I've written hundreds of posts, a number of blogs, national articles and more on the topic and do speak from considerable expertise on the tech, the systems, the providers and the content. I've done so in front of about 6.000 people and counting. I'm not going to dump in several thousand pages of notes every time I make a suggestion. I'm just a C-D avatar: believe, don't believe, argue back in another 2,000 words, whatever.

As for wired v. wifi, if wifi works for you because it's simple, no problem. I have sat straight-faced a number of times while a friend who's a wifi madman who thinks wired networks are one with the steam engine... had to screw around for ten minutes to get a Roku or TV to connect again. Ditto in too many business meetings and presentations and library events and the like while a sweating presenter or IT tech just could not figure out why the system stopped working. I long ago lost patience with such hassles and will spend a weekend running a wired port rather than lose precious hours of relaxation time dealing with them.

But please, please, do it all your own way and think as little of me as you like.
Oh, I will.

I don't own this house. I don't have the luxury of fishing ethernet all over the place, nor would I invest the time and materials in a townhouse that I rent. And we have multiple users in 5 different rooms on 3 floors. That would be a lot of wiring to run about.

I'm just really not impressed with anyone who tells others what to do with no assessment of their particular needs, especially where tech is concerned. Would you tell someone who only wants to check email and pay bills, to buy a $2,000 gaming rig because it's simply "better?"

With this, for instance the various Roku devices, you were like, "just buy the most expensive one, it's the best." Why? For what I could see, the premium earbuds (not a big selling point for us) and the ports (ethernet, microSD and USB) were the differences between that model and a cheaper model. I had no intention of using the ethernet, and I wanted to know if the microSD or USB serve any meaningful purpose. You say no, they don't. So why buy the most premium model on the market? Because it's just...better...somehow?...and only "a few bucks" or "$20" more (it is actually $40+ more.)

You never did say in what capacity you did all of that writing, speaking, and so on. Were you selling something? See, if you had explained what kind of processor, with the numbers on speeds, for instance, run the various models, you could make a case for the more expensive unit. It seems to me like whoever was attending your talks weren't the kind of nerds who build computers, more like seniors who will believe when you just say, "it costs more because it's better and if you spend less, you'll deal with all kinds of glitches and hassles."

In particular your assertions to buy more expensive gear, like anything that costs less will automatically just stop working or burst into flames or something, in a FRUGAL LIVING subforum, sounds like an attempt to swindle the not-so-tech-savvy. I have electronics that I got good deals on that have worked flawlessly for a decade or more. More expensive doesn't always automatically mean, better.

I haven't had any issues with having any of my wifi connected devices lose a connection and having to mess with them for ten minutes to get it back. I have no idea what was going on with your friend. If I can count on my connection for my WORK right now, then I can count on it for entertainment. And I do. I'd say that my living is more important than when I want to watch TV. But then, I know a thing or two about wireless networking, too.

*sigh* I'm being more adversarial than I'd cared to. All I'm sayin' is if you spent as much time sharing factual, informative content...data to make real decisions on...legit pros and cons of different options, that kind of thing... as you have explaining the credentials that justify your opinions and right to declare what is universally best for everybody... I'd have taken you far, far more seriously.

Old 05-17-2020, 05:16 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,125,992 times
Quote:

I've got a couple of questions for those who are familiar with Roku and SlingTV.

SlingTV users: The subscription prices that they give, like $30 for Orange or Blue, $45 for both, add ons, etc. Are there additional hidden costs, taxes, fees, etc that get tacked onto your bill? And if so, about how much? (I know that local taxes vary, just trying to see what experiences others have had.)

Roku: The high end models have expandable storage with microSD or USB for additional apps. Has anyone actually found that they have run out of storage space on their Roku? Is that a realistic enough possibility to warrant spending more for that feature in a Roku?

Appreciate any input that anyone has on the subject! Thanks!
I have both.

No hidden costs with SlingTV. I like how I can go in there and change my subscription anytime I want and the bill is reflected right away. I added AirTV and hooked it up to my antenna and now I use SlingTV to access my local OTA channels. Works well.

I'm still using the old Roku2 but don't find much use for the apps too much ( I think I have a dozen installed) and have not run out of space.

Old 05-19-2020, 08:31 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,282,765 times
My father got into having a firestick that is jailbreaked with various IPTV and movie apps. Me, I use private torrent trackers and a seedbox, but I don't watch that much media to begin with.

I haven't so much as watched a TV show here in weeks though. Life is too short.. I spend too much time on the internet as it is. In the process of cutting it all out.

Old 05-21-2020, 12:28 PM

88 posts, read 54,897 times
Xfinity offered me a free Flex TV Box for streaming Netflix and stuff, but it comes with an extra $13.00 fee each month on my internet bill, so I don't want it.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/22/...tion-fee-price
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living