Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2020, 10:57 PM

4,387 posts, read 1,697,255 times

Advertisements

I’m surprised no one has mentioned Locast yet.

I got rid of cable a few years ago and moved to Youtube TV, and used Locast to get local OTA channels (I get zero OTA reception where I live). When YTTV raised their prices again recently, I just dumped it and stayed with Locast. I also have Prime, but it’s mostly for shopping, not TV, a free year of Disney+, the free version of Peacock, Pluto, and my big splurge is HBO Max, which is a good match/value for me. So far, I don’t even miss cable or YTTV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2020, 02:36 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,672,370 times
Well, it took me a while, being unsure how it worked and had to research, but cut it earlier this year being fed up with Cable pricing (paying for Wifi, separately). I bought a Roku Express for $27.00 for my non-smart TV, then added Hulu first, looking into any FREE options listed with Roku system channels. I'll admit, it is a switch when used to a usual channel-listing guide and have needed to adapt to it all - the Remote, the channel listings sometimes being too small to see (my TV is not huge) and other aspects. (I also have OTA, but more about that later).

I would vacillate between being pleased to disappointed, as said, there being different options and limitations with all streaming services, not all carrying channels one may want, feeling it necessary to get different services in order to have channels used to, but wanting to avoid costs I'd had with Cable, trying FREE trials. I don't need TV Sports, so I don't want to pay for that being included. I would investigate how I could see usual Cable channels, not wanting to pay $$ for a LIVE TV service. It is a juggle, inevitably, we may need to give up something.

What I currently use:

Hulu - Basic service for $5.99.
Netflix - Basic, for $8.99
Pluto - FREE, has several channels, a channel guide, for Enterainment, News, etc. - is quite good.
Tune-In - FREE, just discovered - to listen to Live Cable News programs, which is fine. I used to listen to while also being online anyway, so it's okay for me. Otherwise, without LIVE TV service, one will view Cable news programs streamed a bit after they air. (You can pay more for Live TV streaming with the ability to record and save, but I find I am okay without it).

An option to suggest is Philo for $20.00 with a channel guide which offers usual entertainment, but with no News or Sports. I didn't keep since was not using enough, but I like it. One mentioned Locast, offering your local channels in some areas, but unless paying their $5.00 donated amount monthly, they interrupt every 20 minutes or so while using to request a donation. (Though one could have this if just wanting regular TV channels without an antenna, which would be a deal).

One should look at networks listed with each service and I suggest the FREE trials for, remaining aware of the cut-off point in order to not be charged, if not keeping. It comes down to juggling, tailoring to your needs and making an adjustment to.

As mentioned, I have an Indoor Antenna also and switch to using for regular networks. It was a little bit of a struggle to get it set up as I wanted, unable to get ABC, for instance. (There are sites to check to see by your zip code which networks will be transmitted in your area). With an Antenna, one may get enough local channels, yet many besides are foreign-language, so after scanning all channels available, I omit those from the channel list for the TV. Mostly what is available besides national networks, local stations and PBS, are Sub-channels of those or oldies channels offering OLD TV shows and movies, which for me, is not what I want to be limited to.

Anyway, after several months, I believe I will be content and am no longer paying Cable $94.00.

Last edited by In2itive_1; 08-25-2020 at 02:46 AM..

Old 08-25-2020, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
Well, it took me a while, being unsure how it worked and had to research, but cut it earlier this year being fed up with Cable pricing (paying for Wifi, separately). I bought a Roku Express for $27.00 for my non-smart TV, then added Hulu first, looking into any FREE options listed with Roku system channels. I'll admit, it is a switch when used to a usual channel-listing guide and have needed to adapt to it all - the Remote, the channel listings sometimes being too small to see (my TV is not huge) and other aspects. (I also have OTA, but more about that later).

I would vacillate between being pleased to disappointed, as said, there being different options and limitations with all streaming services, not all carrying channels one may want, feeling it necessary to get different services in order to have channels used to, but wanting to avoid costs I'd had with Cable, trying FREE trials. I don't need TV Sports, so I don't want to pay for that being included. I would investigate how I could see usual Cable channels, not wanting to pay $$ for a LIVE TV service. It is a juggle, inevitably, we may need to give up something.

What I currently use:

Hulu - Basic service for $5.99.
Netflix - Basic, for $8.99
Pluto - FREE, has several channels, a channel guide, for Enterainment, News, etc. - is quite good.
Tune-In - FREE, just discovered - to listen to Live Cable News programs, which is fine. I used to listen to while also being online anyway, so it's okay for me. Otherwise, without LIVE TV service, one will view Cable news programs streamed a bit after they air. (You can pay more for Live TV streaming with the ability to record and save, but I find I am okay without it).

An option to suggest is Philo for $20.00 with a channel guide which offers usual entertainment, but with no News or Sports. I didn't keep since was not using enough, but I like it. One mentioned Locast, offering your local channels in some areas, but unless paying their $5.00 donated amount monthly, they interrupt every 20 minutes or so while using to request a donation. (Though one could have this if just wanting regular TV channels without an antenna, which would be a deal).

One should look at networks listed with each service and I suggest the FREE trials for, remaining aware of the cut-off point in order to not be charged, if not keeping. It comes down to juggling, tailoring to your needs and making an adjustment to.

As mentioned, I have an Indoor Antenna also and switch to using for regular networks. It was a little bit of a struggle to get it set up as I wanted, unable to get ABC, for instance. (There are sites to check to see by your zip code which networks will be transmitted in your area). With an Antenna, one may get enough local channels, yet many besides are foreign-language, so after scanning all channels available, I omit those from the channel list for the TV. Mostly what is available besides national networks, local stations and PBS, are Sub-channels of those or oldies channels offering OLD TV shows and movies, which for me, is not what I want to be limited to.

Anyway, after several months, I believe I will be content and am no longer paying Cable $94.00.
I already had Tune-In before cutting the cord, and it's been great to be able to still be able to listen to cable news while in my daily walks. It’s made cutting the cord a little easier.

I’m the one who mentioned Locast. I live in the mountains, where I get zero OTA reception. People up here have a choice, pay for cable, or have no TV (which is why I had cable to begin with). Locast has been a great addition for me, and I happily pay the $5 a month.

Old 08-25-2020, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired happy View Post
so how much do you pay for internet service? were we live in central tx we have spectrum and thats it unless i use the phone for a hot spot - they kinda got you buy the nads - when we went to cancel the internet cost was over 100 per month - dasmn robbers
I have Spectrum. I pay 70 bucks a month for internet, which I think is too high, but it is the only choice in my small town. I long for the days of AOL, when internet was $20 a month. lol.

Old 08-27-2020, 08:59 AM

9,117 posts, read 6,170,326 times
Well, I tried cord cutting. I only had interest service. At different times, I set up streaming with Netflix, Prime, Hulu, Locast, and a bunch of others.

It's a pain in the caboose. It works OK if you say: I want to watch ABC movie on Prime tonight at 7:30. You sit down at 7:30, you choose and open Prime and select movie ABC. However, I usually channel surf for something. So instead, I sit down at 7:30 and open Prime. I go in and out of several channels on Prime and don't find anything I like. So I close the app and open Netflix. I go through the same back and forth trying to find a show I want to watch. I might go over to Locast. I scroll down the channels, one by one, to see the options available there. This is repeated through various apps until I find a show to watch.

If I subscribe to my local cable/TV provider, I sit down at 7:30, open the on screen guide and page down until I find a show I like. By 7:31 I am watching a chosen show. Life is too short to spend all that time searching and searching, opening and closing, scrolling and scrolling. I'll stick with my cable company.

Old 08-28-2020, 09:22 AM

936 posts, read 2,081,618 times
I have Premium YouTube ($12 a month) and Disney+($6 a month). I need YouTube because I am a Salesman and I need to listen to videos on YouTube without ads when driving. I have 3 kids, 1, 3 and 8 so Disney+ is a must have. I have never paid for cable. It is overpriced and they force you to watch commercials. That is what I call double dipping.

Old 09-01-2020, 07:59 PM

219 posts, read 366,576 times
We were paying comcast $275/month until we switched to yttv about a year ago. Dropped yttv for fubo a few months back, missed the history and weather channels. Fubo has been excellent until I realized no celtics game later this week, it is on tnt.

Anyone have any recommendations how to watch the celtics game? Can I watch it on nbatv? Is there a tnt app on roku? I dont mind paying a small fee.

Old 09-05-2020, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone26 View Post
I already had Tune-In before cutting the cord, and it's been great to be able to still be able to listen to cable news while in my daily walks. It’s made cutting the cord a little easier.

I’m the one who mentioned Locast. I live in the mountains, where I get zero OTA reception. People up here have a choice, pay for cable, or have no TV (which is why I had cable to begin with). Locast has been a great addition for me, and I happily pay the $5 a month.
Good for you, sounds like it has worked out. It's good finding just what we need.

I found also, "Live News Now" to download free to a device for live cable news shows.

Old 09-05-2020, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebig0 View Post
We were paying comcast $275/month until we switched to yttv about a year ago. Dropped yttv for fubo a few months back, missed the history and weather channels. Fubo has been excellent until I realized no celtics game later this week, it is on tnt.

Anyone have any recommendations how to watch the celtics game? Can I watch it on nbatv? Is there a tnt app on roku? I dont mind paying a small fee.
You may have already found out, but it appears that the LIVE services besides YouTubeTV include TNT - being Hulu, AT&T TV or Sling. They cost a bit though, $55, $59 or $30 (Sling - one option includes sports channels). You could try a free trial, then if you don't care for, can cancel prior to being charged. If you wanted to use the TNT app on Hulu, it will require a "TV subscription" sign-in. This is the down-side of streaming, missing out on some viewing if not having a Live TV service.

I see that Pluto (FREE channel) has some Sports channels, but am unclear if it only shows them after they have aired or have something Live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living