Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2020, 09:17 AM

652 posts, read 681,686 times

Advertisements

Here is what I'm doing to cut the cable. I use paid services such as Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney Plus and Hulu.

However, there are free streaming websites out there and here is my list:
• hdm.to
• yifymovies.tv
• azm.to
• myflixer.com
• kat.tv
• flixtor.to

How are you guys cutting the cable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2020, 12:33 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,990,305 times
Sounds to me like you're not really a "cord cutter" but a "cord replacer"!

I am a true cord cutter. I have Roku and have NO paid channels. Between all the free movie channels, all the free news channels, all the free consolidating channels, all the free (insert any type of genre here) ......, I can not see deluding myself to think its just about the "Cord" or the "Cable" or the "Dish" providers. Substituting crack for meth is still being a drug addict!

Old 03-09-2020, 12:37 PM

3,346 posts, read 2,199,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post

I am a true cord cutter. I have Roku and have NO paid channels. Between all the free movie channels, all the free news channels, all the free consolidating channels, all the free (insert any type of genre here) ......, I can not see deluding myself to think its just about the "Cord" or the "Cable" or the "Dish" providers. Substituting crack for meth is still being a drug addict!
On the other hand... if any old crap you can find on free channels, laden with some of the crappiest ads on earth, is good enough to feed your jones, maybe the addiction lies elsewhere.

Old 03-09-2020, 01:13 PM

3,730 posts, read 1,320,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RME40 View Post
Here is what I'm doing to cut the cable. I use paid services such as Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney Plus and Hulu.

• hdm.to
• yifymovies.tv
• azm.to
• myflixer.com
• kat.tv
• flixtor.to

SlingTV with their AirTV box that picks up OTA channels. The channels get integrated with Sling's TV guide, and I hooked up an external hard drive to it so I can record shows from OTA channels. I also have Sling's cloud DVR so I can record shows off my package as well. I get 55 channels from Sling with the package I picked, and the antenna picks up 35 channels. I pay $35/mo for Sling. I also have Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, and Amazon Prime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post

....It's considered the same thing in today's world. When people say they "cut the cord," it can mean they only get OTA channels, or they switched to a streaming platform. It's usually the second option. Regardless, it means you got rid of your cable provider.

Old 03-09-2020, 02:42 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,222,068 times
I pay for Netflix and Prime. I considered paying for other services, but then figured that I'd be eating into any costs savings associated with cutting out cable.

In addition to some of the free (even if only free with ads) listed in the OP, I also use Vudu.com and other services.

Old 03-09-2020, 05:29 PM

652 posts, read 681,686 times
So, I have a question. I live in the woods and its difficult to get an antenna to work out here. Do I need a special antenna or something to work out here?

Old 03-09-2020, 08:05 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RME40 View Post

• hdm.to
• yifymovies.tv
• azm.to
• myflixer.com
• kat.tv
• flixtor.to

One of the things I do is avoid iffy "free" streaming sites.

It's not free if you open yourself up to malware.

Most libraries have DVDs that you can check out. Including set of TV series. There are so many good movies and TV shows from the past out there that I don't worry about watching the latest and greatest.

EBay and DiscountDVD are also good sources, if your library doesn't have what you crave.

Old 03-09-2020, 08:18 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
One of the things I do is avoid iffy "free" streaming sites.

It's not free if you open yourself up to malware.

Most libraries have DVDs that you can check out. Including set of TV series. There are so many good movies and TV shows from the past out there that I don't worry about watching the latest and greatest.

EBay and DiscountDVD are also good sources, if your library doesn't have what you crave.
Our local libraries have streaming services so you don't even have to leave your home. You just need a library card. Our streaming service is Kanopy.

Crackle and Tubi are also free.

Old 03-09-2020, 10:29 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
I watch Pluto and Netflix. That's more than enough. I only look at the screen when I'm winding down from the day or sick. I (sort of) watched three movie last week when I was sick.

Old 03-10-2020, 09:26 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Our local libraries have streaming services so you don't even have to leave your home. You just need a library card. Our streaming service is Kanopy.

Crackle and Tubi are also free.
That too.

But the great thing about actual DVDs is that you don't have to care about how fast your internet connection is. If you're really looking to cut your entertainment costs to the bare minimum, that's another expense you can cut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living