Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2020, 02:14 PM

3,346 posts, read 2,196,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
My father got into having a firestick that is jailbreaked with various IPTV and movie apps. Me, I use private torrent trackers and a seedbox, but I don't watch that much media to begin with.
Well, good thing. Mass piracy tends to drive down the value of producing any more, so it's a self-solving problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC72 View Post
Xfinity offered me a free Flex TV Box for streaming Netflix and stuff, but it comes with an extra $13.00 fee each month on my internet bill, so I don't want it.
My goodness, I can't imagine why... and this is MUCH more in line with what I've seen from 'cable' providers, the ones who charge 2-5X the cost of the modem year after year as 'rental.'

And then on top of rate, surcharges, taxes and vaguely-listed "federal fees" add in $4-10 as a "service fee" or "customer access fee" or some such.

"Free" costs more than it's worth, 9 times out of 10.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2020, 03:45 PM

20,366 posts, read 14,640,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC72 View Post
Xfinity offered me a free Flex TV Box for streaming Netflix and stuff, but it comes with an extra $13.00 fee each month on my internet bill, so I don't want it.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/22/...tion-fee-price

To be clear, the Flex itself does not cost an extra $13.00/month fee. It's the Xfinity gateway modem/router equipment that one pays that for. I already had that, I don't own my own modem/router and rent one from them anyhow, so it was not an additional fee for me.

My personal assessment of the Flex, is that it does not compete at all with a Roku or several of the other streaming devices that you can buy, it is even limited in terms of what streaming apps it will run. If I had my pre-COVID social life in order, it would be worthwhile to me for the Jackbox games (though if you have a gaming console like an Xbox or Playstation then you wouldn't want it for that either, and those games can run on some of the other streaming devices too, but not Roku.)

I would have to look into pricing on comparable modem/router equipment to see how long it would take, of eliminating the rental fees, for it to pay for itself. At this time my bill to Xfinity for internet (including the equipment rental) is $96/month.

I like the fact that our internet is fast and reliable, we've got an average of 8-10 devices in the home actively using that connectivity, most of them through the wifi, and no one is screaming about it (I have older teen/young adult sons, they lose it when things don't work) so I am somewhat hesitant to change up our configuration or seek bargains when what I have suits our needs well.

But thank you for providing the additional info! While it did not affect my choice, it may be pertinent to some!

Old 05-21-2020, 03:54 PM

3,346 posts, read 2,196,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
TI would have to look into pricing on comparable modem/router equipment to see how long it would take, of eliminating the rental fees, for it to pay for itself.
A Comcast-approved SurfBoard (formerly Motorola, engineering picked up by Arris) modem is about $60 new, half that refurb, and the slightly older model (good for about 112mbps) can be picked up very cheaply. They are somewhat more reliable than an engine block.

You are paying at least $5 a month for the modem, or the cost of a new, current model every year. That's the usual modem-only rate, and it's $10 or more for business customers. For what's likely a really third-rate piece of gear, what Comcast feels like providing in bulk because of course they'll replace it any time, nowhere near the quality of the SurfBoard.

By using their router, you are getting third-rate tech that they have administrative master access to... and apparently paying about $8 more a month for that. A decent consumer router/wifi hub is about $150... or, again, oddly enough, about a year's rental. And with proper setup, neither Comcast nor any Authorized Person can get through it to your internal network.

Buying your own modem and SEPARATE router/wifi hub pays for itself in one year, is a 50% discount in the second, and I'm sure a spreadsheet will give you detailed numbers over the likely lifespan of your using home internet service... but still does not account for the increased personal privacy and control.

(If there's ANY charge for the "free" Flex, it just doubles down on everything I've said.)

For someone who says he's done a ton of research and has made the posts to prove it, you've missed some really important points about getting the best value and service. Spreadsheeting Sling Orange v Blue is... to be distracted from the real issues (mainly because you can change up your services in the flick of a wrist, and not so much with the actual internet/hardware situation).

Old 05-21-2020, 05:48 PM

20,366 posts, read 14,640,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
A Comcast-approved SurfBoard (formerly Motorola, engineering picked up by Arris) modem is about $60 new, half that refurb, and the slightly older model (good for about 112mbps) can be picked up very cheaply. They are somewhat more reliable than an engine block.

You are paying at least $5 a month for the modem, or the cost of a new, current model every year. That's the usual modem-only rate, and it's $10 or more for business customers. For what's likely a really third-rate piece of gear, what Comcast feels like providing in bulk because of course they'll replace it any time, nowhere near the quality of the SurfBoard.

By using their router, you are getting third-rate tech that they have administrative master access to... and apparently paying about $8 more a month for that. A decent consumer router/wifi hub is about $150... or, again, oddly enough, about a year's rental. And with proper setup, neither Comcast nor any Authorized Person can get through it to your internal network.

Buying your own modem and SEPARATE router/wifi hub pays for itself in one year, is a 50% discount in the second, and I'm sure a spreadsheet will give you detailed numbers over the likely lifespan of your using home internet service... but still does not account for the increased personal privacy and control.

(If there's ANY charge for the "free" Flex, it just doubles down on everything I've said.)

For someone who says he's done a ton of research and has made the posts to prove it, you've missed some really important points about getting the best value and service. Spreadsheeting Sling Orange v Blue is... to be distracted from the real issues (mainly because you can change up your services in the flick of a wrist, and not so much with the actual internet/hardware situation).
She already explained her reasoning for the "what can I do other than cable TV" project.

I was tired of seeing nothing but crap every time I hit "guide" and paged through what was on.

I had realized that I only ever watched a handful of channels. And that many of our favorite shows were on streaming services like Netflix and Amazon now.

I thought, "I barely get any use at all from this. Why on earth am I paying so much for it?" It seems like a huge waste, not just in terms of pinching pennies, but in terms of what I was getting. A bajillion channels of nothing I would watch.

On the other hand, I get a LOT of use from my internet. It is looking like the cost to replace my equipment would be about the same as what I pay in rental fees during the course of a year.

However, one benefit to renting, is that I contact Comcast periodically and see if they have new and better equipment, and sometimes they do. My market seems to get a lot of the good stuff first. The gateway I've got is right up there with the top of the line products I was seeing just now, browsing Arris Surfboards (what I use is an Arris.) I can upgrade to a newer, faster model for (gasp, I know) free.

As for privacy, that horse is a bit out of the barn. I'm a social media and Google product user, and between the two I am well aware that my phone, sitting so benign next to me right now in sleep mode, is passively listening to every word I utter. But just like with my other creepy stalker companies, I don't actually think that I am very interesting, so I don't worry so much about what Comcast is going to see that I have done...I mean, what is the worst they're going to do, try and sell me something? I don't have very solid belief in online privacy, though I have done enough to secure my networks (yes, more than one) from any random bozo who might be nearby.

Worrying about privacy from my internet provider, when I use Facebook and Google, is a bit like me fussing over my snacking habits, but smoking a pack a day, I figure.

And there isn't a charge for the Flex. There is a charge to rent a modem/router, and if you opt not to do that, you're apparently ineligible to get the Flex. You also can't get it if you aren't an Xfinity customer at all. But assuming the conditions for eligibility are met, it is free. No additional charge.

Old 05-30-2020, 11:06 AM

6 posts, read 11,828 times
Quote:
"Anything you get free costs more than it's worth in the end." — Robert Heinlein

You can get a first-line streaming box or stick for well under $40, not counting picking them up used. Rokus and Fire devices never age out, AFAIK; even the oldest models still get fresh firmware loads and a full selection of apps, and work just fine if you don't need newer features like 4K.

Fire sticks do last a long time, but eventually in tech everything dies. Fire stick doesn't last forever, eventually those updates will slow down the system and the hardware will eventually no longer perform well. Already the fire stick is obsolete because for a bit more money you can buy a fire tv box which does so much more.

Have you ever tried browsing through film selections on old laggy hardware? Not fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
My father got into having a firestick that is jailbreaked with various IPTV and movie apps. Me, I use private torrent trackers and a seedbox, but I don't watch that much media to begin with.

I haven't so much as watched a TV show here in weeks though. Life is too short.. I spend too much time on the internet as it is. In the process of cutting it all out.

A lot of seedboxes act as plex servers now, a fire tv box (not stick - too underpowered) will allow you to install plex. So once plex is installed in fire you can stream content off your seedbox directly. No need to download the torrent files, and somehow get it off a hard drive onto seedbox. It's pretty cool.

Loads of seedboxes support plex now, there's a selection of them on this seedbox review site with coupons.

Also you can install the plex app on your phone and stream files from your seedbox and play it on your phone.

Old 06-19-2020, 10:44 AM

9,115 posts, read 6,160,628 times
I thought about cutting the cord and decided life is too short to start putting together all these complex arrangements. I have a Roku for when I travel and changing "channels" is a pain. Going in and out of the different apps, after a while the sign-ins are old and you have to sign in again. Especially since there is no outside entertainment right now, movies, concerts, live theatre, I'll stick with my one stop shopping.

Old 07-04-2020, 07:16 PM

12,822 posts, read 9,536,731 times
I'm here!! No ragerts, ok, some ragerts. But I think I save around 130 a month? My bill was 160ish, but always seemed to end up being 200 somehow. Now I think it's 60.

Old 07-12-2020, 09:15 PM

187 posts, read 113,332 times
Our favorite channels on Roku:

1) PlutoTV (having a guide is an added plus)
2) Tubi
3) NewsOn (has all the local news)
4) The Roku Channel (new live guide is an added plus)

We're not cord cutters but have DISH 250+ channels. My husband is a big TV watcher and likes a variety of programs. By the time I added up all of the streaming packages we would have to get to equal what he's getting on DISH, the total cost would be more than just keeping DISH.

This year we ran into the problem of two of our obsolete DISH receivers dying. One DISH DVR still works. With covid-19, we didn't want anyone in the house for upgrades so we started using Roku to stream DISH on the other 3 TVs. One smart tv has built-in Roku, and we are able to use Roku boxes we already had on our other 2 TVs. We can't stream the local channels, but we can watch/record on the one DVR still working or stream NewsOn for local news.

The good news about this is less cost because we have cut out the cost of two receivers. Our total bill with DISH is now $88. Add another $5 monthly for Acorn (bought on yearly plan). Also, we sign up for Britbox for maybe 3 months of the year when new stuff comes on.

I'd like to drop the local channels from DISH, but there are some soccer games on one that are currently only shown there. If Peacock works out a deal with Roku, that might solve that problem. Getting rid of local channels would save $12 monthly. I would be happy with just the free channels I listed above plus Acorn and Britbox, but got to keep the hubby happy.

Old 07-29-2020, 03:55 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,623,074 times
Getting rid of cable was the best thing i ever did. I don’t regret it at all.

Old 08-02-2020, 05:03 PM

11,085 posts, read 17,532,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Sounds to me like you're not really a "cord cutter" but a "cord replacer"!

I am a true cord cutter. I have Roku and have NO paid channels. Between all the free movie channels, all the free news channels, all the free consolidating channels, all the free (insert any type of genre here) ......, I can not see deluding myself to think its just about the "Cord" or the "Cable" or the "Dish" providers. Substituting crack for meth is still being a drug addict!
Rabrrita, one thing I like is all the music channels. Not the music videos but just music. Many nights I get my oldies music channel and doze off to doo wop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
One of the things I do is avoid iffy "free" streaming sites.

It's not free if you open yourself up to malware.

EBay and DiscountDVD are also good sources, if your library doesn't have what you crave.
I've been using roku for 2 or 3 years now and haven't had a bit of trouble with malware or anything "iffy". You pick the channels to put on there. Roku has no say on what you add.

Quote:
On the other hand... if any old crap you can find on free channels, laden with some of the crappiest ads on earth, is good enough to feed your jones, maybe the addiction lies elsewhere.
I don't know about the "any old crap" but I like old shows. So far I've watched the first two seasons of the Beverly Hillbillies, the first season of the Dick Van Dyke show (with Mary Tyler Moore), part of the first season of Bonanza, and the first season of Dragnet, where they moved from a radio program to TV. I like the old black and white movies so I have plenty of choices, but I also like the newer movies. The Roku channel has plenty of choices of good movies. I still have cable, because my wife has "her shows" that she wants to watch when they're on instead of streaming them later. But, having both, I've gone back and watched every season of some of my favorite shows. It was worth every penny I paid for the roku stick.

I joke a lot about one reason I got roku. I love cartoons and my wife doesn't. So since I have it on my TV in the bedroom (she can't make it up to our bedroom because of back problems so I guess it's my bedroom?) I have 7 or 8 cartoon channels with the good stuff. Looney Toons, Lil' Lulu, Casper the Friendly Ghost, and I could go on and on and on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living