Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2020, 12:37 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,984,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
One of the biggest things holding me back is that I have wireless headphones that I sometimes wear while listening.
You need to fill in some missing information.

Are the headphones exclusive (branded or locked) to the DirectTV unit? if not, how do they connect now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2020, 12:57 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,217,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
You need to fill in some missing information.

Are the headphones exclusive (branded or locked) to the DirectTV unit? if not, how do they connect now?
They are Boltune bluetooth headphones, connected to my Directv box. Not exclusive to Directv. I'm not aware of any way to connect them to a Firestick device. Maybe Roku but I have no idea, I'd have to look into it.

Old 05-12-2020, 01:18 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,984,674 times
Roku does not support wireless headphones directly through a stand alone device. The most common option is if you get the Roku player with the headphone jack on the remote and hook up one of those Bluetooth transmitters (from $10 - $40).

Old 05-12-2020, 01:37 PM

3,346 posts, read 2,198,393 times
Quote:
They are Boltune bluetooth headphones, connected to my Directv box. Not exclusive to Directv. I'm not aware of any way to connect them to a Firestick device. Maybe Roku but I have no idea, I'd have to look into it.
I'm not aware of any streaming device that supports BT directly. Roku's sound products (sound bar and wireless speakers) do, however. Some TVs also support BT audio, as do most AV amps of recent vintage.

Without changing everything, the choices would be headphones compatible with one of the devices or a BT transmitter... not sure of the technical details, but the overall function can certainly be achieved.

Old 05-12-2020, 01:41 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,090,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
That too.

But the great thing about actual DVDs is that you don't have to care about how fast your internet connection is. If you're really looking to cut your entertainment costs to the bare minimum, that's another expense you can cut.

The bad thing about DVDs (at least from our library) is that they have been closed for over a month now. The only things available are items you can get virtually. E-books, mp3s, etc.

Old 05-12-2020, 03:38 PM

20,378 posts, read 14,651,390 times
Quote:
I've been considering it since I pay $160/month for Directv. It would save a ton of money but I do have the tv on pretty much all the time when I'm home, especially these days. One of the biggest things holding me back is that I have wireless headphones that I sometimes wear while listening. It's great especially for Music Choice. They won't connect to my Firestick (older flat screen, not a smart tv). I have debated getting Roku but I think I would still have the headphone issue.

Very tempting but one expense I can't bring myself to cut right now.
There might be a way. If I had a pair of bluetooth headphones, I'd test it for you. Maybe someone else could try.

Roku has the ability to use any smartphone as a remote control. If you are using the free Roku app on your phone as the remote, you get all the features of the most fancy remote they've got, and more. One of those features is "private listening." You can plug in headphones to your smartphone and listen to what's on the TV. I see no reason why, as most cell phones have bluetooth capability, you couldn't send the audio over a bluetooth signal to your headphones, from your smart phone, when it's in Roku remote mode.

It's a bit fiddly, but it might work.

Otherwise, though, no, you won't be able to establish a direct bluetooth signal between any Roku and your headphones. You would need another device that would send the audio by bluetooth like that...perhaps speakers or sound bar, or something that plugs into the headphone jack on the remote, as several of the Roku models have that feature.

Old 05-12-2020, 03:41 PM

3,346 posts, read 2,198,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Roku has the ability to use any smartphone as a remote control.
Via wifi. And it uses a special subset of wifi for the audio signals sent through the remote, which is great engineering for an individual listener or one with hearing problems, but not really for mobile headphone use.

I'd suggest adding a BT-compatable sound bar for both better sound and BT headphone use.

Old 05-12-2020, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
Via wifi. And it uses a special subset of wifi for the audio signals sent through the remote, which is great engineering for an individual listener or one with hearing problems, but not really for mobile headphone use.

I'd suggest adding a BT-compatable sound bar for both better sound and BT headphone use.
*nods* I couldn't speak to the sound quality of my idea, only that it is a thing that might work.

Or maybe I'm just kinda spoiled, as I have excellent wifi that I wouldn't expect to degrade the audio signal much at all, really. *shrug* I dunno. You seem to not like wifi or something, as you mentioned being more about hard-wiring internet connections. It's come a long way since my first wireless router, I can tell you. I don't know how I'd get by without wifi now. I would not want to try.

But that's a whole other discussion and it doesn't matter.

For what it's worth, I found a Youtube tutorial that explains this and she says that you absolutely CAN use bluetooth headphones, via your smart phone, with the Roku-remote app.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uy53t-j3r1Y

Speaking of other alternatives though? I don't know the cost on sound bars and things of that nature, but if this poster has an older flatscreen as he says, he might consider upgrading the TV itself. I just did a Google search and found that there are TVs with bluetooth built in. And like a lot of tech out there, the cost on flatscreen TVs has come down a lot, too. Including newer smart TVs with bluetooth. Pretty 4K ones and such.

There are also, of course, TVs that come with Roku itself already installed, but the standalone Roku devices aren't really very expensive. I would put other features ahead of having Roku built into a new TV, personally, and just buy one separately.

Old 05-12-2020, 06:22 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,217,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
I'm not aware of any streaming device that supports BT directly. Roku's sound products (sound bar and wireless speakers) do, however. Some TVs also support BT audio, as do most AV amps of recent vintage.

Without changing everything, the choices would be headphones compatible with one of the devices or a BT transmitter... not sure of the technical details, but the overall function can certainly be achieved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork
There might be a way. If I had a pair of bluetooth headphones, I'd test it for you. Maybe someone else could try.

Roku has the ability to use any smartphone as a remote control. If you are using the free Roku app on your phone as the remote, you get all the features of the most fancy remote they've got, and more. One of those features is "private listening." You can plug in headphones to your smartphone and listen to what's on the TV. I see no reason why, as most cell phones have bluetooth capability, you couldn't send the audio over a bluetooth signal to your headphones, from your smart phone, when it's in Roku remote mode.

It's a bit fiddly, but it might work.

Otherwise, though, no, you won't be able to establish a direct bluetooth signal between any Roku and your headphones. You would need another device that would send the audio by bluetooth like that...perhaps speakers or sound bar, or something that plugs into the headphone jack on the remote, as several of the Roku models have that feature.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork
*nods* I couldn't speak to the sound quality of my idea, only that it is a thing that might work.

Or maybe I'm just kinda spoiled, as I have excellent wifi that I wouldn't expect to degrade the audio signal much at all, really. *shrug* I dunno. You seem to not like wifi or something, as you mentioned being more about hard-wiring internet connections. It's come a long way since my first wireless router, I can tell you. I don't know how I'd get by without wifi now. I would not want to try.

But that's a whole other discussion and it doesn't matter.

For what it's worth, I found a Youtube tutorial that explains this and she says that you absolutely CAN use bluetooth headphones, via your smart phone, with the Roku-remote app.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uy53t-j3r1Y

Speaking of other alternatives though? I don't know the cost on sound bars and things of that nature, but if this poster has an older flatscreen as he says, he might consider upgrading the TV itself. I just did a Google search and found that there are TVs with bluetooth built in. And like a lot of tech out there, the cost on flatscreen TVs has come down a lot, too. Including newer smart TVs with bluetooth. Pretty 4K ones and such.

There are also, of course, TVs that come with Roku itself already installed, but the standalone Roku devices aren't really very expensive. I would put other features ahead of having Roku built into a new TV, personally, and just buy one separately.
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. So it sounds like the soundbar or remote control via my smartphone are the two main possibilities for bluetooth connection. I presume that's the pricier version of Roku, which is fine since it would only be a one time purchase. I have seriously considered getting a new smart tv. I have a Samsung flat screen that I purchased back in 2012. It's a terrific tv so I'm hesitant to let it go but the prices of new TVs are so low that I'll still consider replacing it.

Old 05-13-2020, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. So it sounds like the soundbar or remote control via my smartphone are the two main possibilities for bluetooth connection. I presume that's the pricier version of Roku, which is fine since it would only be a one time purchase. I have seriously considered getting a new smart tv. I have a Samsung flat screen that I purchased back in 2012. It's a terrific tv so I'm hesitant to let it go but the prices of new TVs are so low that I'll still consider replacing it.
ALL Roku devices can be controlled with the Roku smartphone app, to the best of my knowledge.

Also, incidentally, when I called to cancel my Comcast cable TV (but kept the internet with them) they let me in on a lil secret, or maybe it's just a new thing.

They have a FREE streaming box, called the Flex, that they will give to any internet-only customer, absolutely free of charge--you don't pay shipping, installation, or service fees of any kind for this thing.

I was intrigued, so I told 'em to go ahead and send it.

It is inferior to the Roku in that the selection of apps is relatively limited. You cannot get Sling or Disney+ on it, and probably a lot of the other lower-cost cable TV replacements are likewise unavailable. It does have support for Netflix, Prime, Hulu, Youtube, several news channels, a lot of promotional free programming, several of the free movie services like Tubi. If you want the premium channels like HBO, you must have them billed via Comcast to get them on the Flex, they won't let you sign in to a standalone subscription. So in those ways...it was not as good.

The ways in which it's better: Mainly that it's FREE, but it also supports Jackbox Party Games which the Roku doesn't (I like those) and ....wait for it... full support for bluetooth headphones via the Flex box.

One other point that kinda sucked a little about it, was that they built these things with two HDMI ports, one to run to your TV obviously, and one marked "input." I thought that was great, I'd be able to connect my DVD player through it! Free up an HDMI port on my TV! Right? No. It didn't work. When I hopped online to research the matter, I found in the Comcast forums where a company rep said that those ports are disabled and do nothing, at this time. So really it isn't a net loss, it just makes you sit there and stare at the thing like "Why?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living