Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2020, 04:52 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,785,743 times

Advertisements

Last year sometime most likely - NOT willing to go shopping in stores and I don't NEED anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2020, 05:08 PM

565 posts, read 678,011 times
I just learned to be careful when shopping for new shoes frugal Folks. I guess real frugal Folks would buy used shoes, but I am in the market for a good gym shoe that will last at least 15 years? I need a very thick-sole, rocker-bottom. non-slip, work/orthopedic, shoe, like one made by Sketcher. This shoe looks very well made and sturdy. It was advertised on some sites for over $300.00 sh. I saw this shoe at the Walmart web-site for $150.00 cheaper! I have learned not to be too frugal when buying high mileage shoes, and to keep looking around online for a better price. Overall, the Walmart site seems to have better prices for clothes imo. I am now looking for a similar shoe with an even better price. I have not bought any new shoes for a couple of years.

Last edited by glenninindy; 07-24-2020 at 05:29 PM..

Old 07-24-2020, 10:35 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenninindy View Post
I just learned to be careful when shopping for new shoes frugal Folks. I guess real frugal Folks would buy used shoes, but I am in the market for a good gym shoe that will last at least 15 years?

In all fairness, I have purchased used dress shoes for years, The overwhelming majority of the shoes were American-made, with Vibram heals and soles, and last nearly forever. And they were made a lot better than most $250 shoes on the market these days.

Those shoes are no longer available as shoes have not been produced in this country to any major extent for the past fifteen years. Fortunately, I no longer need to purchase fress shoes.

Old 07-25-2020, 10:03 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
I just treated SO to Lucchese's in brown and black. They should be here Monday:>) He is so easy to buy for as he knows what he will wear - brand and color/pattern.

Old 07-26-2020, 09:07 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenninindy View Post
I just learned to be careful when shopping for new shoes frugal Folks. I guess real frugal Folks would buy used shoes, but I am in the market for a good gym shoe that will last at least 15 years? I need a very thick-sole, rocker-bottom. non-slip, work/orthopedic, shoe, like one made by Sketcher. This shoe looks very well made and sturdy. It was advertised on some sites for over $300.00 sh. I saw this shoe at the Walmart web-site for $150.00 cheaper! I have learned not to be too frugal when buying high mileage shoes, and to keep looking around online for a better price. Overall, the Walmart site seems to have better prices for clothes imo. I am now looking for a similar shoe with an even better price. I have not bought any new shoes for a couple of years.
That is an incredibly long time to expect. I find that a pair of shoes is good for about one year of daily wear, proportionately more if worn only occasionally.

When I wore dress shoes every day for work, I typically rotated between 3-5 pairs, and they lasted 3-5 years. Longer if I had them resoled. I currently rotate between two pairs of walking shoes, and I get about two years out of each pair. My dress shoes are now only worn for special events, and I may never have to purchase another pair.

Dedicated shoes such as hiking boots, work boots, specialty sporting footwear and the like will last many years, but are only used occasionally.

Old 07-26-2020, 10:04 AM

295 posts, read 143,554 times
had to buy there pairs of underwear since thats all i worn this past several months

i might need a pair of flip flops as they are wearing out going back and forth to the pool several times a day

thats about it underwear and flip flops - my life is just peachy keen

Old 07-28-2020, 02:55 PM

740 posts, read 456,814 times
I haven't bought new clothes in 2 or maybe 3 years from Dept. stores unless you count shoes. Bought 10 pairs of dress shoes and 3 pairs of sneakers within these 3 months. There has been a lot of online stores doing a lot of 40%-50% off sales.

Last time I purchased clothes were prior to COVID 19 lock down....Mostly from private thrift stores that sells brand new clothes they got from closed out.

Old 07-29-2020, 09:57 PM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Truly frugal folks probably don't buy many clothes anyway, except maybe at Goodwill.

I rarely ever buy clothes anywhere, and had to think about the last time. It was March 2018 at REI in San Antonio, Texas.

Because we were leaving the country, we knew we had to stock up and tried to think of everything.

Ended up spending $800 but haven't spent any since, LOL. Oh, except a T-shirt at the Galapagos last year.
I don't shop at Goodwill - I buy clothes new. I bought a new tank top 2 weeks ago.

Old 07-30-2020, 12:56 PM

249 posts, read 332,486 times
Default shoes

I try to be frugal, but don't skimp on shoes. I prefer doc martens and birkenstocks for comfort.

Old 07-31-2020, 06:18 PM

740 posts, read 456,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julesevar View Post
I try to be frugal, but don't skimp on shoes. I prefer doc martens and birkenstocks for comfort.
Agree. The two things I don't skimp on are Mattress and Shoes because I spend most of my time on them. My favorite shoe brand are Ecco and Clarks. My goodness, they are comfortable dress shoes. The most beautiful shoes I've own are Allen Edmonds but they are not comfortable as Ecco or Clarks. Like all things, I only buy it at huge discounts whenever they go on sale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living