Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2020, 09:21 AM

12,773 posts, read 14,974,016 times

Advertisements

I was never what you'd call frugal. I've never shopped at used clothing stores. I'm the type of shopper though who will get good quality stuff ON SALE. So at Nordstrom or Macy's for example, when it's usually on sale for what I think is a good price, I'll get it. But then you risk your size/color not being in stock if you wait too late.

To answer your question, BEFORE COVID, i'd buy (new) clothing probably every 3-6 mos I'd say.

Since COVID about 5 mos ago, I have gotten a couple of inexpensive, comfy pants to wear wherever & a pair of kind of pricey leather ankle boots in a rare color you hardly see in stores (purple) in the last 2 weeks. I don't have a job to go to these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2020, 08:07 PM

565 posts, read 471,393 times
My local thrift store is right next door to Walmart. At various times Walmart will simply take closeout items next door and donate them for a tax write off. At that point you can pick up new stuff that still has the tags.

Old 09-09-2020, 08:10 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
In May my birthday pants were worn out

Old 09-10-2020, 02:40 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,377,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Truly frugal folks probably don't buy many clothes anyway, except maybe at Goodwill.

I rarely ever buy clothes anywhere, and had to think about the last time. It was March 2018 at REI in San Antonio, Texas.

Because we were leaving the country, we knew we had to stock up and tried to think of everything.

Ended up spending $800 but haven't spent any since, LOL. Oh, except a T-shirt at the Galapagos last year.
today.ordered some clothing online

Old 09-10-2020, 03:43 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,123,920 times
BEFORE COVID: I'd go out every one or two weeks just to see what was out there. Didn't need anything really. But SIL works at Marshalls, so why not?

Since COVID about 5 mos ago: When Marshals (not hers) opened back up I went to one about a week after reopening. I bought -- I want to say -- four tops and two pairs of pants -- which of course I didn't need at all. But they were $12 each so I succumbed.

If housecoats count (yeah, I know who even uses that word anymore) -- I just ordered a few from a catalog. Mine have more than performed their duty and it's time the were retired.

Oh yeah and I ordered two pairs of shoes a couple of months ago-- proactively because I don't want them to be discontinued. So I bought them but don't really NEED them.

Even with these purchases (and the money spent on gloves and masks, and sanitizer) the coronavirus has SAVED me money.

Old 09-10-2020, 06:12 AM

4,936 posts, read 3,313,142 times
Last month 1 simple cotton dress and 2 tops in white cotton and a scarf for fall weather.

Old 09-10-2020, 10:27 AM

187 posts, read 113,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rothbear View Post
I got some new undies about a month ago. Does that count?

Like you, Rothbear, that was the last thing I bought. They were on sale last Christmas, so I bought a few. The only clothes I need to buy on a somewhat regular basis (every 1 to 2 years) are undies, socks, and sneakers. I usually don't have to pay for these because I always get gift cards for department stores for my birthday and Christmas, and I use the cards to replenish these.

I have more than enough nice tops, shorts, and jeans from over the years that still look great. When I want something "new", I shop from the back of my closet. There's always a top hiding there I haven't worn in a few years that still looks good and feels new to me. Around home I'm always in t-shirts and comfy shorts or sweats that I've had for many years. Most of my t-shirts were free from my husband's Coke rewards program. Darn, I miss that program.

When people ask how I stay movitated to stay the same weight, I tell them it's because I'm too cheap to buy new clothes.

Old 09-10-2020, 11:46 AM

3,006 posts, read 1,492,434 times
A few weeks ago I was walking to a thrift store when rain started, so that was a fine time to buy a $4 raincoat.

Old 09-10-2020, 05:06 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,645,388 times
Months ago! Just returned to TX from living in WA for nine months. Unloaded at least 6 huge black Costco trash bags full of clothes.

Tired of hauling around clothes I just don't wear.

Old 09-13-2020, 03:52 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,837,008 times
I bought a T shirt at the last event I went to on March 13. Excepting T shirts and custom face masks maybe jeans last year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living