Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2020, 10:30 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,289,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Yes, I agree it would have been better and easier for her to just respond and provide you with the info/proof she had in the first place, so you could update the original entry. I'm just saying once the duplicate was created, from FG's point of view, at that point it was easier for them to just delete the original rather than delete the duplicate and update the original. I don't think contacting them about it now will be productive. It sounds like they actually merged some of the data from the original anyway, so does it really matter?
I'm not pursuing it. I find it incredibly frustrating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2020, 04:55 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
Actually, I created the FIndAGrave based on the death certificate. Cemetery names and county lines have changed since the death certificate was issued over 100 years ago. I made the change after I saw she had provided a picture of the headstone. It's probably been there for 50+ years and it made sense for it to be in that location.

IMO, *** was incorrect in doing what they did. The other person made a second memorial knowing that I had one in place which is against the rules. The other person didn't provide any information to me to make a change, they just made a demand. I ended up changing the memorial after I found their memorial and looked at the photo. My notes were moved to the second memorial. Both of us are probably related to the deceased... a few generations out at this point.
Agree, Find A Grave was incorrect to remove yours because yours was the 1st. They have that rule for a reason. IMO, whatever mod that took care of her complaint did not check the dates, if they had, they would have removed hers. Find A Grave doesn't check to see if names, DOB, DOD dates and locations are correct, if they had time to do that then they wouldn't need us volunteers to enter the memorials.

You have to write it as F.A.G. or F A G because it is a blocked word

Quote:
Yes, I agree it would have been better and easier for her to just respond and provide you with the info/proof she had in the first place, so you could update the original entry. I'm just saying once the duplicate was created, from FG's point of view, at that point it was easier for them to just delete the original rather than delete the duplicate and update the original. I don't think contacting them about it now will be productive. It sounds like they actually merged some of the data from the original anyway, so does it really matter?
Find A Grave won't do updates unless they own the memorial.

Quote:
Personally, I would because the Find A Grave mod that removed yours was wrong. I wish I knew if selecting "delete memorial" actually deleted it or if it just puts it offline.

Old 07-25-2020, 07:27 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,874,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Find A Grave won't do updates unless they own the memorial.
All the more reason why deleting the one with incorrect data was the right thing to do at that point.

Quote:
Personally, I would because the Find A Grave mod that removed yours was wrong. I wish I knew if selecting "delete memorial" actually deleted it or if it just puts it offline.
How were they wrong? You think they should have deleted the one with the correct data and left the one with incorrect data, especially knowing they wouldn't update it with the correct data? I agree the duplicate never should have been made to begin with, but once it was, from FG's point of view, it no longer matters which one was the original, it matters which one is correct. They have no rules about keeping the original, their FAQ says:

"What should I do about duplicate memorials?
If you find more than one memorial on the site for the same person, you can report the duplication by clicking the Suggest Edits (or Edit if you manage the memorial) button on one of the memorials, clicking the "Report Duplicate" button on the left side of that page and following the steps from there. We'll review your suggestion and take the appropriate action."

They reviewed the situation and made a decision and I imagine they'll stand by that decision. You're free to disagree with that decision, but I doubt they will change their minds because of it.

Old 07-25-2020, 12:02 PM

Quote:
All the more reason why deleting the one with incorrect data was the right thing to do at that point.

How were they wrong? You think they should have deleted the one with the correct data and left the one with incorrect data, especially knowing they wouldn't update it with the correct data? I agree the duplicate never should have been made to begin with, but once it was, from FG's point of view, it no longer matters which one was the original, it matters which one is correct. They have no rules about keeping the original, their FAQ says:

If you find more than one memorial on the site for the same person, you can report the duplication by clicking the Suggest Edits (or Edit if you manage the memorial) button on one of the memorials, clicking the "Report Duplicate" button on the left side of that page and following the steps from there. We'll review your suggestion and take the appropriate action."

They reviewed the situation and made a decision and I imagine they'll stand by that decision. You're free to disagree with that decision, but I doubt they will change their minds because of it.
I've been on Find A Grave for 7 years, it has always been the rule that the oldest memorial is the one that stayed, the newer one was the one that was removed. The older memorial should be the one that survives the merge because it was there longer.

Merging memorials is fairly new from what I'm reading; it was started January 2019. If they went by the rule that the oldest memorial is the surviving memorial then when it merged, it should have been Sarahsez's memorial that survived with the merged info in it.

Sarahsez said that she edited her memorial to be correct before it was merged so that's a non issue. Both memorials had the same information.

I've been reading the FAQ's since I posted. I had found what you posted about duplicate memorials but I'm not seeing anything addressing which memorial survives. I'll probably email Find A Grave to ask because I'm curious since it's not addressed in the FAQ's.

I'm actually surprised the other person was able to make the duplicate memorial because back when Sarahsez posted in September 2019; when you made a new memorial, if there was a memorial already entered it would show it. I just started to make a new duplicate memorial for my old neighbors "lady friend" Gloria, was surprised it would let me submit it. You'd think by now that if you enter the same info that it would stop it from being submitted.

With my neighbors lady friend Gloria, there's no location info for where she was born or where she died even though I've given the manager her obituary. I'm not sure I ever requested transfer but I did today. I'm pretty sure I've requested the transfer and was either ignored or told no because when I gave her the obituary, I had also emailed the HTML code to link my old neighbor's Find A Grave memorial since they never married even though they were together about 10 years. Think of it this way if the newer is the one that stays, I could make a new one, then report the old one as a duplicate to be merged with mine. My new one would be more complete then the old one and from what you're saying it should be the one that gets posted even though Gloria's original memorial has been there since 2013.

To do it the way you're suggesting wouldn't make sense and would be wrong in so many ways because a lot of people that entered memorials 7+ years ago could end up losing a lot of their memorials to newer ones. That would not be fair to the older members. It would be a huge slap in the face to members that made memorials years ago to allow the newer one to stay. I know I don't want to lose my memorials and I doubt you want to lose any either

Old 07-25-2020, 12:05 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,289,884 times
Quote:

I changed the information on the memorial. It was no longer incorrect. I followed the rules. As far as I can tell, there was no legitimate reason to move it to the other person.

Old 07-25-2020, 12:10 PM

We were posting the same time, read my reply above yours

Quote:
You should pursue it to see what they say. Newer members can't be allowed to take older memorials from us older members

Old 07-25-2020, 02:34 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,874,219 times
Quote:
I've been on Find A Grave for 7 years, it has always been the rule that the oldest memorial is the one that stayed, the newer one was the one that was removed. The older memorial should be the one that survives the merge because it was there longer.
It doesn't sound like that's the rule anymore. It sounds like they are now merging duplicates together and when doing that, it makes the most sense for the surviving memorial to be the one has the most amount/accurate data on it, so there's less to data to replace during the merge.

Quote:
Sarahsez said that she edited her memorial to be correct before it was merged so that's a non issue. Both memorials had the same information.
I must have missed that. I read that she saw the duplicate with the supporting proof which she said was enough proof for her to change it if it had just been given to her like she asked, but then she said "I decided just to do nothing". I assumed that meant she decided not to update her own memorial.

Old 07-25-2020, 09:30 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,429,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
I think if you want more or less information posted, then you should try to have it transferred. I have heard of people refusing to transfer "their" findagraves & I don't know if that's true or not. If I were you, I would request to have it transferred.

I have run across more than one that had seriously flawed information & the manager was reluctant to amend it. Since the findagrraves were not my family members, I did not pursue it. I do warn newby genealogists to not consider findagrave to be a fact without further supporting documentation.
It seems odd to me that people create findagrraves from obits when they have not photographed the grave markers. But I have nothimg but high praise & gratitude for those who walk & photograph cemeteries.
As do I. We found my husband’s great great grandparents grave via a photograph. Distinct background buildings lead right to the grave. I do find it odd that someone would search obits to put up memorials. I assumed that you were either family or you visited cemeteries to take photos for people doing genealogy research. People are strange.

Old 07-27-2020, 08:46 AM

Quote:
I changed the information on the memorial. It was no longer incorrect. I followed the rules. As far as I can tell, there was no legitimate reason to move it to the other person.
I worked on an email to Find A Grave to get clarification on what memorial would stay when there's a duplicate that gets merged. I sent you a DM to get your input on it before I send it because now I'm curious why your older memorial would get removed and not the duplicate.

Quote:
I'll probably email Find A Grave to ask because I'm curious since it's not addressed in the FAQ's.

Old 07-27-2020, 09:02 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,018,590 times
Perhaps uploading a photo of a headstone carries more cred. After all, it is "Find a Grave".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy