Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2022, 09:39 AM

17,568 posts, read 15,232,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post

If someone related to one of the memorials I've made or manage wanted to run the memorial I'd be happy to transfer it.

Have to say in recent years that some of the memorial collectors have been transferring memorials to me without my asking because they remembered that I submitted a request or they saw a request, transferred the whole batch of relatives that they had.

I use the same name there as I do here..

https://www.findagrave.com/user/profile/48987022

I mean what I say in the profile. Someone asks for a transfer. Boom, there it goes. You have some people on the forums asking if they HAVE to transfer a memorial to a son/daughter/brother/etc. Thankfully, there's usually enough people there to shout them down.

I always assume that people sending me edits know more than I do. So, unless something is REALLY off, I accept edits by default. Obviously, if someone tries to add a husband that with a 70 year age difference.. I eyeball that.

I've transferred large batches. I went to Chicago to find some relatives, and "While I was there".. Did a large amount of pickups at a cemetery there. contacted the person who had done it before, and he was happy to take the memorials. Made more sense because he actually was from Chicago and could take better care of them. but I wasn't going to transfer them to him without him being OK with it.

I just went through yesterday.. One guy, when I started this particular cemetery i'm working on now about 3 months ago, he had 200 memorials. As of yesterday, he had 103.. By the END of yesterday.. he had 84, and once the next batch of dupes is handled..He might have 30.

Mistakes happen, but too many people are just sloppy.

I'm working on this cemetery right now

https://www.findagrave.com/cemetery/...-memorial-park

I think i'm 60% done.. That's a nice cemetery with a few famous memorials in it such as Shoeless Joe Jackson, Einstein's grandson, Rudy Anderson who was the only casualty of the Cuban Missile Crisis,, Dickie Dietz and a few others.

I find that usually, by GPS tagging things, that gives me the ability to see what I've done and really helps clean up dupes. But when I started on that just before Christmas, there were 280 open requests on it. I fulfilled probably 160.. and then 20 I've identified as being in the wrong cemetery or duplicates.

Example..

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/.../dallas-washer

Take a look at the problem report I put on that one. I've sent that to findagrave to deal with as they see fit.. But, whoever created that, just plopped it there. Missed the burial location by 4000 miles or so.

Waiting to see how they handle this one..

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/...michael-chiles

Look at the Bio on that one. Cute. But inappropriate.

It's been a mess cleaning up some of this, because while there were 2 or 3 people who did the initial survey on this back around 2010-2012.. Some of them were.. not great. They logged everything as a middle name. So, I have 200+ each weekend that I have to research and fix the name on.

Anyway.. One i'm done.. I'll search for the memorials with no GPS. Because, any with no GPS, in theory, I didn't find. I'll check those for duplicates, check and see if they're actually buried there.. I've already found at least one that was a request from 2012 that wasn't even in that cemetery. They were in Springwood which is about 5 miles away. I've also found a couple where someone is plopping. Arrangements handled by the Cremation Society, and someone placed their memorial in this cemetery just because their father was buried here.

I gotta believe the people there hate me with the number of dupes that I send in. I try to make it fun for them, at least, by including jokes on random merge requests that I send in to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2022, 07:34 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,169,570 times
I just checked and found out I had made a duplicate memorial for my BIL or maybe someone did one after me. I found out you can delete any memorial you make.
The other one was from someone in the area (possibly a cousin from his side of the family). It included a picture of his stone and had everything the same as mine except they added a middle initial and did not include the nickname that everyone called him. I deleted mine and will allow them to manage the site.

Old 03-18-2022, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
I just checked and found out I had made a duplicate memorial for my BIL or maybe someone did one after me. I found out you can delete any memorial you make.
The other one was from someone in the area (possibly a cousin from his side of the family). It included a picture of his stone and had everything the same as mine except they added a middle initial and did not include the nickname that everyone called him. I deleted mine and will allow them to manage the site.

When I'm adding, and again, I'm always adding at the cemetery.

I use the app.. Enter the last name. Look for the name on the marker. If it's not there.. I do a search for DOB/DOD and look at the results to see if there's already one there under a slightly different name (Different first name or different last name). This.. Is MOSTLY effective, but you can still get burned here and there because there's a subset of the 'obituary' people who see they died in 2000 and were 61 years old, so they enter the DOB as 1939

Well.. That's not necessarily true. The only way it's 100% true is if they died on Dec 31, 2000. If they died June 5th, 2000, and were born on June 6th or afterwards, they were born in 1938.

The good news is, now with their new search and it being appropriate to enter multiple last names for the women who may have married multiple times.. Those are returned in search results. In theory, that should help prevent dupes.

Old 03-18-2022, 09:43 PM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,375,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
You can report duplicates for possible mergers. If yours is first and you retain it, then you could transfer it to the other person when it's merged. That way the information you added isn't lost.

Old 03-18-2022, 11:53 PM

Oh.. And for everyone's FYI.. I actually got a merge that was 'overturned' today.. This was in my email

Quote:
[CENTER]Suggested Merge Approved With Changes[/CENTER]

[LEFT] [LEFT]⚠️ Your merge request for Foster South (1905–1979) with Foster South (1905–1979) was partially accepted. The direction of the merge was reversed for the reason listed below.[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

Memorial 1: Foster South (65002053)
Memorial 2: Foster South (124489542)
Reason: The edit history shows significant changes to the burial history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy