Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2019, 04:07 PM

4,991 posts, read 5,286,731 times

Advertisements

I had someone be incredibly hostile to me about a memorial I made that she wants changed. This person was aggressive from her first contact. She did not provide any documentation and I didn't have time to immediately go back in and see if I could find info to validate her claim. I cited my source in the memorial and relayed that to her. In less than a week, I got a nasty note back and she also said she has made a new memorial with her info and I can change my memorial or hand it over to her. I want my memorials to be correct. I wasn't unwilling to change my info if it is incorrect because I want correct info out there.

I don't think this person behavior should go unreported. What's the best way to handle the situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2019, 05:22 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,246,039 times
https://www.findagrave.com/list-faqs...abusive+poster

See "How do I report an inappropriate or offensive Flower/Note?"

"Select the Flowers page on the memorial. Locate the offending flower and hover over the icon in the upper right of the flower. Select the ‘Report Abuse’ option."

Old 09-19-2019, 05:50 PM

23,865 posts, read 33,540,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I had someone be incredibly hostile to me about a memorial I made that she wants changed. This person was aggressive from her first contact. She did not provide any documentation and I didn't have time to immediately go back in and see if I could find info to validate her claim. I cited my source in the memorial and relayed that to her. In less than a week, I got a nasty note back and she also said she has made a new memorial with her info and I can change my memorial or hand it over to her. I want my memorials to be correct. I wasn't unwilling to change my info if it is incorrect because I want correct info out there.

I don't think this person behavior should go unreported. What's the best way to handle the situation?
Make sure you report the duplicate memorial. Find a grave rules allows one memorial per person.

To report them to find a grave use this email addy

support@findagrave.com
This email address is for urgent matters only, meaning it is a pressing issue that needs immediate attention and the issue is not covered in the descriptions of email addresses above noted.

What should I do about duplicate memorials? - If you find more than one memorial on the site for the same person, you can report the duplication by clicking the Suggest Edits (or Edit if you manage the memorial) button on one of the memorials, clicking the "Report duplicate memorials" button near the bottom of that page and following the steps from there. We'll review your suggestion and take the appropriate action.

Old 09-19-2019, 05:59 PM

10,212 posts, read 17,867,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
https://www.findagrave.com/list-faqs...abusive+poster

See "How do I report an inappropriate or offensive Flower/Note?"

"Select the Flowers page on the memorial. Locate the offending flower and hover over the icon in the upper right of the flower. Select the ‘Report Abuse’ option."
That looks like if someone has left an offensive public note in the flowers section - it sounds more like this is a private message or was done through the "suggest edit" feature. There doesn't seem to be any built in way to report someone who messaged you or suggested an edit, so I guess you'll have to just email them and explain the situation with a link to the user's profile. I'd also take screenshots of the offending messages and include them in the email.

Quote:
Help...I have a question. How can I contact Find A Grave?
Here is the contact information for Find A Grave and what functions are assigned to which email. For details on each function, see elsewhere within the FAQ.

Often a reply will not be necessary. Edit/update requests will be reviewed and completed upon approval.

Please don’t send more than two requests per email and more than 5 emails per day. But please do be sure to include the web page link in any communication to Find A Grave.

You can use the Find A Grave Community Forums to get answers from other members to many of your questions. Be sure to find the first post on any of the official forums and follow the instructions listed there.

edit@findagrave.com
Use this email to request that a memorial be added to Honoring, Interesting Monuments, or Interesting Epitaphs or to mark a memorial as a cenotaph, report an inappropriate biography, and any other issues concerning memorials.

Note: to suggest changes to name, birth/death, plot, inscription, family links, use Suggest Edits on the memorial.

info@findagrave.com
This is where you would report copyright issues, an unresponsive transfer request or a deceased contributor; assign Fallen Graver stewardship or send all other questions.

cemetery@findagrave.com
You can use this email or the Cemetery Correction/Update forum to submit cemetery updates including adding a cemetery bio, GPS, address, town, name corrections, and AKAs.

famous@findagrave.com
Send issues concerning famous memorial bios, duplicates or Posthumous Reunions to this email. For suggestions about the name, birth/death, plot, inscription or family links on famous memorials, use the Suggest Edits on the memorial.

geography@findagrave.com
Use this email to suggest a missing location, correct a location spelling, report duplicate location in the geographic database or other geography questions. Read here "How do I add a location that does not show in your database?" before submitting. Note: Do not use for cemetery updates or duplicates.

photo@findagrave.com
This email is for reporting an inappropriate photo, adding a cemetery photo to cemeteries without photo option or correcting a cemetery photo.

support@findagrave.com
This email address is for urgent matters only, meaning it is a pressing issue that needs immediate attention and the issue is not covered in the descriptions of email addresses above noted.

Mailing Address
Find A Grave
1300 West Traverse Parkway
Lehi, UT 84043
I'd use either the info@findagrave.com or support@findagrave.com option.

Old 09-20-2019, 02:51 PM

4,991 posts, read 5,286,731 times
Thanks all! I'll send a message to FindAGrave when I get a chance this weekend.

Old 09-20-2019, 04:15 PM

17,573 posts, read 15,243,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
Thanks all! I'll send a message to FindAGrave when I get a chance this weekend.

I'd suggest you join the forum at www.findagraveforums.com

Better people to ask there than here. Though the answer was given correctly here, that you'd report the person to support@findagrave.com

That being said, what's 'nasty' to one person is just blunt to another.

I sent a correction off the other day for someone with a name like William Edgar Smith to update parents and set the Nickname to Ed

They were "How do you know the nickname was Ed?"... well, because his name was Edgar and the obit says "William Edgar (Ed) Smith" and sent them a copy of the obit.

i've come across duplicates in the past, before the new duplicate reporting system (Which is wonderful) where people would reply back "I will NOT delete the memorial of my dear Aunt Bessie" or whatever. Meh.. Off it went to edit and a few months later, there went their memorial.

Too many people there are just there about the numbers, not to actually help people. They care more about having X number of memorials managed, so they scour newspapers every day adding more and more.. Not even giving family the chance to post one.

In 3+ years, I think i've declined like 3 edits sent to me.. And those were simply ones where someone sent a parent born AFTER the child. But there's people who just decline every edit and manually make the changes. Annoying, but.. Meh. Gotta let things like that go.

I only manage memorials because I come across them while photographing and GPS tagging and need to add them in to attach the photo.

Old 09-21-2019, 07:45 AM

5,328 posts, read 6,015,992 times
I had no idea that people would randomly scour newspapers to create a memorial on FindAGrave. It appears that my father's body was still warm when his "memorial" was added. WTF is wrong with people?
Thankfully, even though one of my siblings wanted otherwise, I insisted my grandchild remain nameless in the obit.

Old 09-21-2019, 08:47 AM

23,865 posts, read 33,540,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I'd suggest you join the forum at www.findagraveforums.com

Better people to ask there than here. Though the answer was given correctly here, that you'd report the person to support@findagrave.com

That being said, what's 'nasty' to one person is just blunt to another.

I sent a correction off the other day for someone with a name like William Edgar Smith to update parents and set the Nickname to Ed

They were "How do you know the nickname was Ed?"... well, because his name was Edgar and the obit says "William Edgar (Ed) Smith" and sent them a copy of the obit.

i've come across duplicates in the past, before the new duplicate reporting system (Which is wonderful) where people would reply back "I will NOT delete the memorial of my dear Aunt Bessie" or whatever. Meh.. Off it went to edit and a few months later, there went their memorial.

Too many people there are just there about the numbers, not to actually help people. They care more about having X number of memorials managed, so they scour newspapers every day adding more and more.. Not even giving family the chance to post one.

In 3+ years, I think i've declined like 3 edits sent to me.. And those were simply ones where someone sent a parent born AFTER the child. But there's people who just decline every edit and manually make the changes. Annoying, but.. Meh. Gotta let things like that go.

I only manage memorials because I come across them while photographing and GPS tagging and need to add them in to attach the photo.
I've been harassed on find a grave, that's the email addy I used to report it. I guess I should have said that.

Old 09-21-2019, 09:19 AM

4,861 posts, read 4,799,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
I had no idea that people would randomly scour newspapers to create a memorial on FindAGrave. It appears that my father's body was still warm when his "memorial" was added. WTF is wrong with people?
Thankfully, even though one of my siblings wanted otherwise, I insisted my grandchild remain nameless in the obit.

That happened with both of my parents. The FindaGrave memorials were set up by the time we drove back cross country after the funerals. Fortunately, both memorials were transferred to me on my request.

Old 09-21-2019, 09:38 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,142,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
That happened with both of my parents. The FindaGrave memorials were set up by the time we drove back cross country after the funerals. Fortunately, both memorials were transferred to me on my request.
After reading this thread I checked FindaGrave for my late husband. His photograph and obituary are there and apparently posted by someone that I never heard of. What would be reasons for me to have it transferred to my name?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy