Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2008, 06:00 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Hard to say if it works. It functions. so far we have no icky stuff on the tile or grout. We have only had it for about three months. How long does the icky stuff take to build up?
Depends how much you use it and also what types of products you use in the shower. And as far as mildew - seems the ventilation has a lot to do w/ that, also.

But I would say - 2 people - using shower gels (soaps can be worse for gunk) probably 8 weeks could create a mess.

This bring to mind a question I have. I have heard it said that all soaps create a scum, except for one - Irish Spring. Anyone know if this is true????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 07:00 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,772,406 times
Did not hear that. We use Dove which is not soap. It is something else

Old 01-30-2008, 07:28 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,113,560 times
I've used all sorts of soaps--preferably unusual and rarely get scum. But I suspect the more lather, the more scum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
This bring to mind a question I have. I have heard it said that all soaps create a scum, except for one - Irish Spring. Anyone know if this is true????

Old 01-30-2008, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
I've used all sorts of soaps--preferably unusual and rarely get scum. But I suspect the more lather, the more scum.
Well, I use Neutrogena, as soap makes me itchy. I guess it dries my skin. But hubby insists on Dial and I swear - that is the most scum-creating soap!!!

OTR - i would suspect you are right - the more lather, the more scum!!!

Old 02-01-2008, 11:23 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,257,914 times
I have that automatic shower cleaner (scrubbing bubbles product). It really does work. It doesn't have bleach. I think it is citric acid based and septic safe. It keeps the rust in my water from staining the shower pretty well too. Anything that isn't toxic and lessens my house work chores is a good thing to me.

It think the claim about Irish Spring is because it is detergent. Harsh on your skin and loaded with unnecessary antibacterial stuff. Bath gels are the best. Much gentler and no scum.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:59 PM

687 posts, read 2,127,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
If the paint isn't a good quality or washable paint, you may have to seal it and repaint. But try TSP. You can find it in the paint section of hardware stores.
Thanks! I'm not sure what TSP is, and couldn't find it at Home Depot. However, my husband has taken pity on my crazed behavior and promised to paint over the grease spots on the wall!

Old 02-07-2008, 11:49 PM

28,114 posts, read 63,647,953 times
Default TSP = Tri Sodium Phosphate

Any good paint store and most hardware stores should carry TSP, which is short for Tri Sodium Phosphate. It's not very expensive... my only caution is some plants are sensitive depending on the dilution you mix.

There are also several "TSP Cleaners" on the market that do not contain any Tru Sodium Phosphate... I've never found them to be as effective...

Sp*c & Span and Mr Clean also cut kitchen grease and are quite effective when mixed with very hot water...

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 02-08-2008 at 12:04 AM.. Reason: Trying to get rid of the * in Sp*c and Span Cleaner

Old 02-09-2008, 08:53 AM

Default Question for the day

Scum - algae - or whatever that green nasty stuff is that accumulates on my deck . . . Deck is on N side of house and it is totally shady there all winter. Despite the cold weather (not bitterly cold - I am in NC) - every Spring I find this nasty green mess on my deck boards. I looked out today and there it is.

It is a small deck. So my solution has been to take regular clorox bleach and throw some on it, let it sit, and then use a broom to sweep it off. DH says this is why my rhododendrons near the deck died.

Hmmmm. Maybe it is. So what is one to do - other than power wash it (wh/ would be hassle - small deck, filled w/ furniture, and elevated high - 13 steps to ground level. Moving that furniture would be a big hassle indeed.

So what do others do to clean that mess off? I thought if I diluted it enuff, it would not harm my plants but truly, stuff did die - whether this caused it or not, I have no clue.

Old 02-09-2008, 11:18 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,257,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Scum - algae - or whatever that green nasty stuff is that accumulates on my deck . . . Deck is on N side of house and it is totally shady there all winter. Despite the cold weather (not bitterly cold - I am in NC) - every Spring I find this nasty green mess on my deck boards. I looked out today and there it is.

It is a small deck. So my solution has been to take regular clorox bleach and throw some on it, let it sit, and then use a broom to sweep it off. DH says this is why my rhododendrons near the deck died.

Hmmmm. Maybe it is. So what is one to do - other than power wash it (wh/ would be hassle - small deck, filled w/ furniture, and elevated high - 13 steps to ground level. Moving that furniture would be a big hassle indeed.

So what do others do to clean that mess off? I thought if I diluted it enuff, it would not harm my plants but truly, stuff did die - whether this caused it or not, I have no clue.
Clorox strong enough to kill the moss/mold is not going to do your rhodies any good. They aren't nearly as tough as moss or mold. Rhodies like a very acid and moist soil and your drought last year didn't help either so that might have killed them. I think I read that a strong vinegar treatment would work to clean the mold off. I have the same problem, but never seem to get the time to attack it. I don't know if the grocery store vinegar would be strong enough and it is hard to find 10% vinegar. Strong vinegar is an effective weed killer.

In any case, you should cover your plants and the ground around them to keep any cleaning solution off the plants.

Old 02-09-2008, 07:46 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,777,875 times
great thread!
my 2 cent tips:
-toothpaste will not fill in small holes for long- it shrinks and stains. spackle comes in a tube @ home depot for about $1.50, and holds on in a tool box for years if not exposed to extreme temps.
-spare paint left over when redecorating- save it in a cleaned out spagetti sauce jar under the sink. great for touch ups or making the wall look new if you've had to scrub pet stains down one too many times or kids went nuts on the walls 3 days before the landlord is coming over.
- essential oils= concentrated stuff, not diluted, can be medicinal grade or regular. Only 2 companies I trust are 100% organic and don't pass off diluted stuff; for medicinal grade youngliving.com (MLM company), for house cleaning grade kobashi.com (cheap shipping considering its england). prices are steep ounce for ounce, but proper dilution gets the most bang for your buck. sinus infections coming on I used 15 drops youngliving proprietary blend called thieves oil in a cold diffuser. sinus infection gone in less than 3 hrs because I caught it early. natural antibiotics more compatible with the body. oregano oil can be purchased from both these companies, but kobashi is exceptionally economical if you aren't needing the ingestion grade oils that natropathic medicine prescribes. Cleaners- dont mix more than you need, air exposure reduces the antibacterial properties over time.
- dishwashers and laundry tubs could be trapping bacteria from leaks, be sure to check for those before you kill yourself trying to clean it. I've heard oxy clean does a good job, and also a laundry powder from Amway, but you'd have to special order it since they're an MLM company.
-excessive staining in kitchens and bathrooms might mean you need a water softener system to deal with excess minerals in the water. alternative grout stain prevention method= salt water in a spray bottle after showering. the mold/mildew cannot tolerate salt. tiles wont be sparkling but you could always follow through 20 min later with scrubbing bubbles stuff.
- stainless steel= brushed nickel finishes don't seem to have as many problems with maintenence right out of the box. option to consider next time you're in the market for appliances.
- dust in the air= filter for furnaces and central air ducts are often hidden culprits. tucked away people tend to forget about them. I bought an ionic breeze years ago, but it had very limited area coverage for $250. I was shocked how much crud it would collect in 3 days though and washable blades are still going strong. It's not great, but it does help.
The newer versions from oreck look so much more comprehensive, and might be worth the money, but I haven't met anyone who owns one yet. There's another air cleaning system that uses water in a bowl to 'wash' the air- infomercial on TV. It costs less, don't know anyone who owns one, and I'm rather skeptical. I need input from y'all on these items.
- dust on mini blinds= i take them down monthly when i wash my curtains. toss them in the tub, spray simple green for the smokers in the house, power wash with spray nozzle, soak with diluted bleach & hot water for a few, then rinse standing upright in shower. No smokers it would be more like once every 3 months. The time it takes me to wash and dry curtains, the blinds are ready.
-dust plan= start from the top, work your way down, even if its separated by days. swiffer ceilings one day, walls next day, and I use a dyson that doesn't let anything get past me.
-dusting a house with too many trinkets= toss them in the dishwasher while you wipe down the surfaces you keep them on. closed curio cabinets keep things minimal, the rest might be a candidate for a garage sale lol
-Windows i just use a vinegar & water with a car squeege and a damp rag to pick up the drips. Its quick and less wiping/waste paper.
-spring cleaning for semi gloss painted walls- get a new automatic sponge mop head and literally mop the walls.
-hard to get yourself in gear for housekeeping or feeling overwhelmed from disorganization? try this website: FlyLady.net: Your personal online coach to help you gain control of your house and home
helps keep me motivated to keep on top of things, plus she has tips like this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House