Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2008, 11:06 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,258,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcs1366 View Post
ok... back to dusty things.... I have faux-wood blinds thru the whole house.... yes, DH wanted all the windows the same [well, most of them]

so i have 16 blinds and keeping them clean is so impossible.
Make DH clean them - he's the one who wanted them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 11:19 AM

1,216 posts, read 5,773,965 times
LOL.... when h*II freezes over...

he'd be like, "Dust? what dust?"

Old 01-21-2008, 12:10 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Quote:
LOL.... when h*II freezes over...

he'd be like, "Dust? what dust?"
HEE HEE HEE. Are these like the wide slats? We are not talking miniblinds, right? And wood or faux wood?

If we are talking about the wide slatted ones . . . I use several methods. I close them, vac them off, then open and turn other way to vac the other side. This is not totally satisfactory, as there is still a space that does not get clean that way.

Every so often I use one of those long brush things - what do they call them - it is shaggy and they say they are "electrostatic" so they "attract dust." I open blinds and go in between each slat. I suspect this just emits all that dust into the air, no matter what they say about being "electrostatic" and holding the dust in the head of that thing (whatever this type of brush is called, LOL!!!)

Have never tried spraying Endust on mine, b/c they are all white and I am afraid that might yellow in the sun. Now if you have wood colored ones, then maybe that would not be a problem.

Keeping the dust down in a house is a big pain.

Last edited by brokensky; 01-21-2008 at 12:12 PM.. Reason: misspell

Old 01-21-2008, 01:55 PM

one thing about baseboard heat... you have less dust.... I miss my old baseboards... **sniff sniff**

they are faux wood, wood toned [oak colored] and they seem to be 2" slats.

When ever my mom comes over.... which is about every 2 yrs since she is in Southern AZ .... she always comments on my dust... stating i should hire a maid to do it.

I hate dusting like i hate ironing.... and both rarely get done. The other wood, and we have a lot of it ... i have no problems keeping it clean ... the blinds are just so tedious and labor intensive.

I could have ordered those "honeycomb" type or cloth blinds... but i wanted ones i could see out of, and room darkening... so this was pretty much my only option. Uggg.

Old 01-22-2008, 07:29 AM

740 posts, read 2,013,785 times
I use the new ICE spray car wax for showers, tile and tubs. I even use it on glass shower doors. Seems to take off the hard water deposits, and puts a layer of wax down to keep them from coming back quickly. I have two boys who like to take baths. Their bath tub always had a ring. Anyway, I used this wax for their bath tub and no ring... even MONTHS later. I love this stuff... It also helps on porcelin sinks to keep coffee and other stains from setting in as well.

Old 01-22-2008, 07:35 AM

Quote:
one thing about baseboard heat... you have less dust.... I miss my old baseboards... **sniff sniff**

they are faux wood, wood toned [oak colored] and they seem to be 2" slats.

When ever my mom comes over.... which is about every 2 yrs since she is in Southern AZ .... she always comments on my dust... stating i should hire a maid to do it.

I hate dusting like i hate ironing.... and both rarely get done. The other wood, and we have a lot of it ... i have no problems keeping it clean ... the blinds are just so tedious and labor intensive.

I could have ordered those "honeycomb" type or cloth blinds... but i wanted ones i could see out of, and room darkening... so this was pretty much my only option. Uggg.

I usually take my blinds off every couple of years and soak them in a bathtub. Or, I have even gone as far as to hose them off. I have 2" blinds as well. There is also a new attachment for the vacuum that I found at Walmart that does a good job. The brush fibers are longer so they tend to clean better.

I kinda like your idea to hire a house keeper to do it! Sounds like the easiest way to me

Old 01-22-2008, 07:43 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibcwife View Post
I use the new ICE spray car wax for showers, tile and tubs. I even use it on glass shower doors. Seems to take off the hard water deposits, and puts a layer of wax down to keep them from coming back quickly. I have two boys who like to take baths. Their bath tub always had a ring. Anyway, I used this wax for their bath tub and no ring... even MONTHS later. I love this stuff... It also helps on porcelin sinks to keep coffee and other stains from setting in as well.
Well, now I am very very curious and want to know more! Where do I get this ICE spray car wax? I would like to try this. Does it also help w/ water spots on faucets? Also, I wonder about the rungs where my sliding glass doors slide - after cleaning those - wonder about using this to spray on the rungs to help cut down on gunk accumulating in the rungs/slider thingies, LOL. Hmmm.

What about the toxicity of this stuff? Does it have warnings on the bottle? IF it is something like carnuba (sp?) wax, I would think it would be safe. Any other info you can provide - would love to hear more. Love these tips!

Old 01-22-2008, 07:57 AM

ani -- i just googled it because I too was curious.... it's a Turtle Wax product, so you can get it just about anywhere... in my google it lead me to Ace Hardware, cost $10-11

Sounds great for the tubs. I have to admit, my boys are slobs ... "what do you mean, clean the shower ??? " ** blank stare ** and i just shake my head.

I"ll put this on my 'list of things to buy' for the next time i go to the store.

Old 01-22-2008, 08:06 AM

I buy it at walmart... they have it in a spray bottle of it and it is less than $10. It is synthetic, and it does say that it is harmful if swallowed. But you have to use so little... ? Yes, it helps with the sliders on your shower too. I clean houses. I use it in all my houses!! One thing to remember, it will be slippery on the bottom of the tub if you don't have grips. I usually wipe it on there to clean, then use a spray with bleach to wipe it off. The coating is still there, but it isn't so slippery anymore.

Just spray the ice and wipe it off with a clean dry towel..

And yes tcs1366, my boys are slobs too!! They are old enough to know better. Infact, the oldest should be moving out on his own sometime soon. I am just gonna laugh when he asks me to come clean his house!!

Last edited by ibcwife; 01-22-2008 at 08:46 AM..

Old 01-22-2008, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well, now I am very very curious and want to know more! Where do I get this ICE spray car wax? I would like to try this. Does it also help w/ water spots on faucets? Also, I wonder about the rungs where my sliding glass doors slide - after cleaning those - wonder about using this to spray on the rungs to help cut down on gunk accumulating in the rungs/slider thingies, LOL. Hmmm.

What about the toxicity of this stuff? Does it have warnings on the bottle? IF it is something like carnuba (sp?) wax, I would think it would be safe. Any other info you can provide - would love to hear more. Love these tips!

ani, did you ever find a resolution to your dog wiping her face on your furniture? What if you had a special place for her to wipe her face? Or... Keep her bowl dry until you are ready to watch her and then you could do it for her? Just a thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House