Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2013, 10:23 PM

25 posts, read 35,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackF View Post
There was also a J Gregory's (the original?) at the old Mall on the Parkway. It seems like it was around back, somewhere near where the nightclub (Players, 721 Club) was.
I think there J Gregry's also on Jordan Lane where some Indian Joint is now, one on Hwy 20 in Madison where Madison Bikes is and there was also one in Fayetteville/park City,Tn if I remember correctly. Ate there a lot in the 90's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 10:03 AM

1,644 posts, read 3,034,427 times
Some good ones in this thread.

My family used to eat at Mr. Steak on a regular basis in the 1980s. Yeah, the bread and honey was great. And, oddly, I miss the ability to order cauliflower with cheese melted on top. Man, that rocked.

The Mill, both across from the hospital but moreso the one on Jordan with the great wysteria covered outside. The food was good, but I ate there for the atmosphere.

Mr. Gatti's. I haven't thought about those for a while. We ate at the one on Sparkman about every other Sunday after morning church. Not the best, but I miss it.

Others, not so amazing, that I ate at and are gone now:
Burger Chef in front of what used to be A&P, then a movie theater. Don't remember much about it but my Dad liked the place.
The Taco Bell at the same (or very close) location. A late night hangout from my teens. Also my first job, though I quit after a few weeks as the managers would make us clock out and then clean up.

And I'll add: The way Wing's (Bumhauer's) used to be. Also the way West End Grill used to be. I ate their buffalo burgers on a fairly regular basis.

No one mentioned Zesto's, which unfortunately I never got to eat at, but my wife did often.

Edited to add: I miss any Burger King that would be south of the one near the Hospital and north of the one at Hobbs Rd. 35802 is a Burger King Free Zone. I like the crunchy food varnish on their fries.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:54 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,865,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreLysium View Post
No one mentioned Zesto's...
Absolute best corn dogs I've ever eaten.

That jogged my memory and reminded me of The Dwarf restaurant - the first restaurant we went to when we moved here.

Also, does anyone remember Yogi Bear's Honey Fried Chicken?

Old 05-19-2014, 05:53 AM

1 posts, read 2,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
Fogcutter - never had the money to dine there, but we did the disco a couple of times.
Irelands - Huntsville had an Ireland's? No kidding! I still mourn the passing of the one in Tuscaloosa.
Plush Horse- great disco back in the day, but the owner was an ---hole.
Shakey's Pizza - Huntsville's was awful, but we used to hit the one in Bessemer after every Alabama game at Legion Field.

Others - Flutengale's, the disco.
Empress of China - excellent Chinese. Passed the location tonight and wished again it was still there.
______-A restaurant that was just across the side street from The Mall...spent a couple of wacky (drunk) NYEves there. Ate artichoke for the first time there.

The restaurant across the side street was probably T. P. Crockmiers. Couldn't get in the place for happy hour when it was the "in" spot. I remember also a restaurant on University Drive named Cork and Cleaver because at the time one could not use the name of an alcoholic beverage in a restaurant title. The restaurant was actually a Steak and Ale.

In the years I was there a disco or restaurant would open and be unapproachable due to popularity (primarily for happy hours that offered four for one drinks until the city fathers stopped that) for a few months, then another would open and we'd all go there. One of the type was an old dept store just off the square downtown that sported a mezzanine from where the drinking (and/or snorting) beautiful people could watch the rest of the beautiful people dancing on the floor below.

And the Plush Horse was usually simply referenced as "The Horse."

~Troyce
Greeneville TN

Old 05-19-2014, 06:36 AM

626 posts, read 754,386 times
Too soon to add Famous Joe's to the list? :P

Old 05-19-2014, 07:47 AM

523 posts, read 1,003,471 times
Miss these places...

Picadilly, Western Sizzlin, The Sizzler

Old 05-19-2014, 08:38 AM

614 posts, read 766,107 times
I think it's been mentioned already, but D'Livery Stable is missed. Quality pizza before there was a such thing. Them and Maters were great.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:33 AM

1,782 posts, read 3,277,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padmaster View Post
Miss these places...

Picadilly, Western Sizzlin, The Sizzler
The Pic is still at Parkway.

Did you mean Morrison's?

Old 05-19-2014, 09:43 AM

523 posts, read 1,003,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Dave View Post
The Pic is still at Parkway.

Did you mean Morrison's?
No, I thought Picadilly was long gone. Had no idea it was still around. Shows you how much I go to that mall.

Old 05-19-2014, 01:11 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,865,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfishin2000 View Post
I think it's been mentioned already, but D'Livery Stable is missed. Quality pizza before there was a such thing. Them and Maters were great.
And the best char-grilled burger ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area