Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2016, 03:34 PM

3,121 posts, read 3,098,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Ok, here's another source. Why don't you post up yours?

Kansas ranked near middle on job growth in February | CJOnline.com
Yours was from last year. I believe that's known as pulling a fast one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2016, 06:44 PM

78,450 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
Yours was from last year. I believe that's known as pulling a fast one.
Dang, there is hope for you yet! You mean using data from a year ago would be irrelevant and unfair? Why yes....yes it is.

Ok, so you know how to spot BS that tells a story you don't like......now for the hard part.....

Here are some quick questions, maybe it will spark some insight or conscience or whatever....or not.

Assuming 6 of 12 months show job growth and the other show job losses....which should you comment on and post about? Which should you keep quiet about?

(Kinda like how murders in Chicago get trumpted from the roof tops even if the overall trend is down)

If something bad is a tiny percentage should you show the percentage or the "large number impacted"? If it's good should you show the tiny percentage to downplay that it had any affect?

Lastly, if there happens to be good news in the article you read like oh....the unemployment rate being super low still, you leave that part out and just comment on the negative news....citing total numbers....not %'s and don't cite any of the causes that might explain the drivers could be from forces outside of the states control like oil and gas jobs? On a scale of 1 to 10 how honest do you think that is?

Old 03-18-2016, 10:49 PM

Sadly, the Chicago murder rate, when compared on a year to year basis, is way up from last year.

Sadly, the number of jobs in Kansas, on a year to year basis, is down over 5,000 from last year.

The good news is that both Zaxby's and Raising Cane's, two fast food chicken places, will combine to soon open over a dozen fast food chicken restaurants in Johnson County.

See, I post good news. If you like fast food chicken and federal minimum wage jobs, that is.

Old 03-19-2016, 02:53 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,728,305 times
Just two months ago, you posted this....

Quote:
During December, Kansas added 2,000 jobs. For the entire year, Kansas added roughly 7,000 jobs.
And last night, this....
Quote:
Sadly, the Chicago murder rate, when compared on a year to year basis, is way up from last year.

Sadly, the number of jobs in Kansas, on a year to year basis, is down over 5,000 from last year.

The good news is that both Zaxby's and Raising Cane's, two fast food chicken places, will combine to soon open over a dozen fast food chicken restaurants in Johnson County.

See, I post good news. If you like fast food chicken and federal minimum wage jobs, that is.
If it mattered*, I'd ask for your reference source(s) as it would be quite an exercise to reconcile the two.

*Numbers and sources used in this thread and the multitude of others like it appearing here over time are merely carefully selected tools used in an attempt to advance a regressive political agenda. Hence, they are always suspect and irrelevant.

Old 03-19-2016, 09:06 AM

Time marches on. In monthly year over year updates, a decent January from 2015 was replaced by poor January and February numbers this year.

It's interesting how folks who get riled up by potential job losses that may happen due to minimum wage hikes don't seem to be bothered by 5,000 Kansas job losses.

Last edited by SyraBrian; 03-19-2016 at 09:16 AM..

Old 03-20-2016, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Time marches on. In monthly year over year updates, a decent January from 2015 was replaced by poor January and February numbers this year.

It's interesting how folks who get riled up by potential job losses that may happen due to minimum wage hikes don't seem to be bothered by 5,000 Kansas job losses.
I don't get excited and declare victory or defeat over one or two months of jobs changes largely driven by impacts from the cyclical construction and gas industries.

Largely because I'm not a political tool trying to make Brownback or Republicans look good\bad on a constant basis.

Ironically, I don't even like Brownback, never voted for him and don't think he's done a good job.
However, I'm appalled by crappy politically driven analysis which brings us to why you and I are even arguing at all.

P.S. I'm beginning to seriously wonder if threads like this should be move to politics and other controversies?

Old 03-20-2016, 03:41 PM

Quote:
I don't get excited and declare victory or defeat over one or two months of jobs changes largely driven by impacts from the cyclical construction and gas industries.

Largely because I'm not a political tool trying to make Brownback or Republicans look good\bad on a constant basis.

Ironically, I don't even like Brownback, never voted for him and don't think he's done a good job.
However, I'm appalled by crappy politically driven analysis which brings us to why you and I are even arguing at all.

P.S. I'm beginning to seriously wonder if threads like this should be move to politics and other controversies?
Maybe Kansas will actually produce job growth again and you may be able to put in a few legitmate rejoinders to my "crappy political driven analysis".

Old 03-20-2016, 04:19 PM

26,430 posts, read 46,615,085 times
Quote:

It is a state related economic issue when the governor claims to create a concrete number of new jobs for the state and a tiny fraction of that materializes over a number of years. It has quite a bit to do with his failure to understand that supply side economics does not work.

Old 03-20-2016, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Maybe Kansas will actually produce job growth again and you may be able to put in a few legitmate rejoinders to my "crappy political driven analysis".
Actually no, it's frankly a stupid argument to cherry pick data once a few points say what you want it to. (After something like 4-5 years of positive job growth suddenly this is the new measurement. )

Here is the meme that was being pushed 6 months ago....percentages not jobs growth and oh...please note that he focuses on how taking good news from a single month is something a crazed Brownback supporter does. But now that it's March, it's sound economic analysis. LMAOAY

http://www.kansascity.com/opinion/op...e40446141.html

Quote:
Overall, Kansas gained 4,900 nonfarm jobs in September over August, according to federal and state figures.

But ignore the one-month jump — as Brownback supporters constantly urge Kansans to do during bad news times

Last edited by Mathguy; 03-20-2016 at 05:36 PM..

Old 03-20-2016, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
It is a state related economic issue when the governor claims to create a concrete number of new jobs for the state and a tiny fraction of that materializes over a number of years. It has quite a bit to do with his failure to understand that supply side economics does not work.
He claimed to create them or he made a campaign promise to create them?

By your math, what is that tiny fraction %?

See, this isn't a thread about Kansas economic health is a thread about Brownbacks failure to deliver on a campaign promise.

If people were honest about his failure to deliver on it instead of trying to play with stats then I'd be agreeing instead of refuting idiotic claims.

Instead we get thread after thread about how KS economy is doomed and failing and has horrible unemployment and we beat our wives (legally) and are over-run in sex offenders while we teach noah riding on dinosaurs blah blah blah. (All actual threads we've had here)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas