Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 12:39 AM

6,612 posts, read 12,866,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGIMMI22 View Post
I’m NOT Hispanic, I'm am a brown-skinned legal immigrant(originally from India) living in TX for the past 15 years. I have my dad, mom and cousin who are visiting from India. We did plan on going to Grand Canyon during September. But after seeing this law, we abandoned our plans. Even though I have all the papers required to prove that I'm a legal worker, I'm afraid the cop who stops me will not have the expertise to read the list of approval notices, LCA, I140, AC21, I485 application, EAD, AOS, AP to know that I'm legal. No offense to the cops but the list of papers I have to show to prove that I'm legal is at least 10 and it takes a well experience person to understand what they are and how they are related, it's not a card or DL like some would think.

Sure, if the officer does not understand, he/she may refer me to ICE and they should have the expertise to sort things out and let me go...and how long is that going to take 2 hours? 2 days? Where am I going to be till then? Cops car? Jail?

No way I'm going to Arizona. Sorry Arizona. I budgeted about 12K for my 6 day trip, but thanks to the new law, I’ll be spending my money to get a pergola and spend time with my family right in my backyard!
You're a legal immigrant yet you don't have a greencard? How does THAT one work exactly? If you are a legal permanent resident why would you need to cart around all the applications and petitions etc etc>

I smell a troll
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 12:46 AM

362 posts, read 776,483 times
I have booked a flight to go out to Arizona just because of that immigration nonsense. I want to see if they profile me like they said they wouldn't. I'm Puerto Rican, and can easily be mistaken for either a middle easterner to an intalian as I'm light skinned but my hair is brown. I want to see what happens.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:05 AM

150 posts, read 476,194 times
I'm a first-generation American. My parents naturalized back in '83 (my father is from from Tivoli, Italy, and my mother is from Honduras).

I'm pretty sure I'd be mistaken for an illegal if I were to visit Arizona, so I don't think I'll be visiting that state in this lifetime. Being hounded by the police and judged by the public would be unpleasant at best, and I'd rather not put myself in that sort of situation. People play the race game on me all the time, so I'm used to it, but visiting a place where discrimination is legal would be an insult to me as both a human being and as an American.

One of my life goals was to visit and explore all fifty states, but I guess this means Arizona is one less to visit.

Oh well. More gas money to go around.

Old 05-13-2010, 05:36 AM

24,839 posts, read 11,261,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
You're a legal immigrant yet you don't have a greencard? How does THAT one work exactly? If you are a legal permanent resident why would you need to cart around all the applications and petitions etc etc>

I smell a troll
GC is only one way to legally live and work in the US. How it works? Here you go - uscis.gov.
If you bother to read what OP gave as far as immigration line-up goes - he has a stack of documentation by now.

Old 05-13-2010, 08:18 AM

13 posts, read 23,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collective View Post
You shouldn't have problems really. I don't like the amount of power the bill gives policemen, but if you have a license and everyone on the vehicle have a passport and a stamped I-94 everything should be alright.

They already ask I-94 for pretty much anything so most law enforcement officials should be familiar with them.
That is the problem, my I94 has expired, but I'm on AOS status. My I-765 is approved and use my EAD for work. My I485 application has been pending for the past 3 years and the current wait time for Indian nationals is about 12 years to get I485 approved. How many cops do you think will understand this? it is not straight forward as having an unexpired I94.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:19 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,086,402 times
I'm a white-skinned citizen, so I suppose I have little to worry about. However, I was speaking with a peer at my old company and I was surprised to learn that they have taken ALL Arizona-based subcontractors off their list of potential suppliers for future contracts though they are completing the contracts they have now.

I thought the whole deal was less serious than the noise people are making about it, but I guess business is taking it seriously.

That's a lot of money, because this is not a small company!

Old 05-13-2010, 01:04 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,278,073 times
honestly it's your own loss

Old 05-13-2010, 01:06 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,365,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxer1k View Post
i'm actually going to arizona now because of this bill and will spend my money there to show support for what they're doing. I will also be looking at homes there and will seriously consider buying a second home in az.

Arizona is only doing what our lazy govt. Should've been doing the last 30-40 years,enforcing the law! But they're more worried about getting votes than upholding the law! This is no different from what any other country does,you need to carry your papers (passport) with you at all time when in another country.

So i guess if i was in india i would have no problem walking around without my passport ? What would happen to me there if i was stopped and didn't have them on me?

Some people are trying to make this out to be way worse than it actually is. First try reading the bill and get a good understanding of it. This has nothing to do with ones race it's about being here legally! This should really be a slap in the face to everyone who came here legally along with their ancestors because these illegals are basically taking jobs and benefits away from those here legally. Also, look at all the states going bankrupt,especially cali. A good part of that is because of the illegals sucking off the system and putting a strain on the schools and medical there.

Have a good time under your pergola,i'll be sure to post a few pics. Of my trip to the grand canyon when i return. :d
amen!

Old 05-13-2010, 03:36 PM

9,317 posts, read 18,787,787 times
Well it takes all kinds of stupid to make up a planet. Our good clients are from India and have just spent two days here driving all over AZ looking for rental properties to purchase. They live in CA where the uninformed are now boycotting AZ. Our clients are very well educated, both doctors I believe, so that probably explains why they can travel around freely, unafraid of the new law. They must just look smart or something. to the Op: please stay home, we need you not.

Old 05-13-2010, 04:01 PM

13 posts, read 23,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post

I smell a troll
I smell someone who has no idea what he is talking about, but wants to act smart.

Have you head about H1B, L1, AOS, EAD?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration