Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 02:24 PM

13 posts, read 23,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
And you are my favorite troll...

I think you are one of the biggest liars to ever hit CD....

and I'm retired and have plenty of time to post on CD...

When I'm retired, I really want to do something better than spending rest of my life posting on CD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 02:35 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,691,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGIMMI22 View Post
Sure, in a perfect world where cops are experieced lawyers too.

Officers at the POE who are supposed to be experts in immigration law don't know exactly what do in several scenarios. Twice when I entered US using an AP document, the officer seemed puzzled with all the documentation and dates in them, and it took two supervisors to say that I'm entering the country legally.

Even experienced paralegals who deal with 100's of legal immigration related cases everyday have trouble understanding and interpreting the law. You will never understand the complexity involved unless you have been through the process.
First you were unhappy with AZ law. Now it sounds like you're unhappy the way our country deals with immigration. You can always return to your homeland and those dung filled streets.

Old 05-14-2010, 02:57 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,870,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGIMMI22 View Post
Do you know who applies for I485? Employer? Employee? Do you know pre-PERM how long it took for labor certification?

I'm on my second H1B and in the GC queue for about 6 years now...if you are a legal immigrant in EB category you will understand what I'm talking about, if not, please do some research before commenting.
Possibly it's taking so long because an H1B visa was never intended to be an immigrant visa, and yes I am aware that you need an employer to file the I-485 for adjustment of status.

Please don't assume you know what I do or do not know regarding the immigration process.

Old 05-14-2010, 03:53 PM

719 posts, read 2,671,754 times
That's funny, my close friends and I were planning a road trip that ended in the Grand Canyon. Looks like we'll be heading down to the Copper Canyon in Old Mexico right after we're done exploring New Mexico. If we're going to have to take our passports because a few of us are brown, we might as well go to another country, amirite?

Last edited by lndigo; 05-14-2010 at 04:07 PM..

Old 05-14-2010, 05:11 PM

2,097 posts, read 3,825,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lndigo View Post
That's funny, my close friends and I were planning a road trip that ended in the Grand Canyon. Looks like we'll be heading down to the Copper Canyon in Old Mexico right after we're done exploring New Mexico. If we're going to have to take our passports because a few of us are brown, we might as well go to another country, amirite?

So you have NO problem bringing you passport to another country and obeying their laws but you do here?

Old 05-14-2010, 05:20 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,699,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer1K View Post
So you have NO problem bringing you passport to another country and obeying their laws but you do here?
As someone who, while not brown, has an accent, I now have to carry my US passport in Arizona. This wouldn't be a problem, if everyone was to carry one; but the requirement applies only to people like me, who aren't "real" Americans, I suppose. I have no problem carrying my passport in a foreign country; but America is my home -- the only home, as I don't have a citizenship anywhere else. The fact that my accent and my foreign last name make it necessary for me to prove my status on a routine traffic stop is a little too disturbingly familiar. After all, this was the major reason why my family left the Soviet Union.

Old 05-14-2010, 05:51 PM

17,244 posts, read 57,297,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
As someone who, while not brown, has an accent, I now have to carry my US passport in Arizona. This wouldn't be a problem, if everyone was to carry one; but the requirement applies only to people like me, who aren't "real" Americans, I suppose. I have no problem carrying my passport in a foreign country; but America is my home -- the only home, as I don't have a citizenship anywhere else. The fact that my accent and my foreign last name make it necessary for me to prove my status on a routine traffic stop is a little too disturbingly familiar. After all, this was the major reason why my family left the Soviet Union.
I know what you mean. Would I need my passport too since DW and I mostly converse in Russian? (Although I have that accent in my Russian that most native English speakers have, at least I have been told - I would not hold my breath for any AZ lawman to discern it though.)

What would "probable cause" for being an illegal alien be, on the face of it, anyway?

That and all the calls in Congress to change the law after the fact to "Kick BP's Butt" over the oil spill (OT on one level for sure, but I think the overall corruption of the legal system includes the Arizona law, the warrentless searches in and around all forms of public transport, wanting to change the laws after the fact on BP, etc.)

Old 05-14-2010, 07:15 PM

239 posts, read 539,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
Obviously, you also have not read the new Arizona law. It's based on and mirrors current federal law, and adds nothing to requirements in place in the USA for the past 70 years.

Unless you're planning on going to Arizona to rob banks, sell crack, buy prostitutes, or commit other already illegal acts, you will only need your current state drivers license or other ID. Just as you can't fly any airlines without a government issued photo ID.

Heck, most places I shop ask for a photo ID when I use my bank debit card. Are they "profiling" me??

The Arizona law enforcement will only inquire regarding your immigration status if you are stopped for other illegal activity as mentioned above. They are NOT going to be doing random traffic stops to check for immigration status.

Again, read the law. It's easy to comprehend.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:09 PM

2,097 posts, read 3,825,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawdog View Post
Obviously, you also have not read the new Arizona law. It's based on and mirrors current federal law, and adds nothing to requirements in place in the USA for the past 70 years.

Unless you're planning on going to Arizona to rob banks, sell crack, buy prostitutes, or commit other already illegal acts, you will only need your current state drivers license or other ID. Just as you can't fly any airlines without a government issued photo ID.

Heck, most places I shop ask for a photo ID when I use my bank debit card. Are they "profiling" me??

The Arizona law enforcement will only inquire regarding your immigration status if you are stopped for other illegal activity as mentioned above. They are NOT going to be doing random traffic stops to check for immigration status.

Again, read the law. It's easy to comprehend.

Great Post !

When AG Holder himself hasn't even read the bill but decided to make his own stupid comments towards it based on what he read in the newspaper and heard in the media you shouldn't be surprised that the average person has no idea either.If the Govt. had been doing their job,none of this would even be an issue right now. To many people are playing the race card now,it has nothing to do with race. Be legal or get out!

Old 05-15-2010, 10:24 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,934,501 times
If you grew up here then you'd know a policeman is your friend. What is Indias policy for checking foreigners papers?
They're not so friendly. ....be honest now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration